Lent,fasting and hungry. Watch

shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hello

i fasted (water only)all yesterday because it was ash wednesday. then today im trying to stick to the rules of Lent. im normally vegan so for me to give up meat means nothing. ditto for dairy. so im trying to stick to the '1 meal a day' and 2 snacks way of fasting. today i had an orange and an apple and im hungry. i will probably have a can of beans later, maybe on toast. i know when you are hungry you are meant to remind to pray. but what about?

i read about this thing called religious anorexia which is when you fast too much and become anorexic as a result. i didnt know that existed. also i didnt know orthodox christians end up fasting 200 days a year.

fast is also different from anorexia nervosa: it is disciplined diet, not total abstention from food. During a religious fast, you still eat, you just abstain from certain foodstuffs. Traditionally, people have fasted by eliminating luxury items from their diets, such as meats. You could have a fast that consists of eating whatever you want, but drinking only water. Orthodox Christians recognize five levels of fasting:

Abstaining from meat
Abstaining from meat, eggs, milk, butter, and cheese
Abstaining from meat, eggs, milk, butter, cheese, and fish
Abstaining from meat, eggs, milk, butter, cheese, fish, oil, and wine
Abstaining from all foods and beverages except bread, water, juices, honey, and nuts.
Note that the fifth and strictest level describes John the Baptizer’s diet, and it is may very well have been the fast that Jesus undertook for forty days in the wilderness. (Christians reenact this retreat during Lent.)

i also read this:
"To fast, just omit an item or two from your diet—something that you would normally eat during the course of the day. Every time you get an appetite for those items, you will be reminded of your fast and that will remind you of the reason for your fast, and you can pray instead of eating. This can have immense spiritual benefit. You are simply using your belly as a spiritual snooze-alarm
Do you fast and pray? If you don’t, your spiritual life is unbalanced. If you are a soldier of the Lord, you can hardly expect to be commended for your conduct if you never check into headquarters for instructions.
Follow the ancient Christian custom of morning and evening prayer.
Have a nice, long chat with God first thing in the morning and in the late evening. If you have a habit of taking a daily walk, you could resolve to talk to God during that entire walk, to talk things out.
It’s commendable to pray at each meal and before falling asleep (which would be four times a day) but grace tends to be perfunctory and praying in bed might end in sleep rather than a real conversation. (Nothing wrong with that except you don’t get to talk things out.) While this results in more prayers, I think God would prefer fewer prayers and faithfulness in prayer. If you think it’s necessary to have quality time with your children, how much more would God want quality time with you?
Fast whenever you need intensive prayer.
Your appetite acts as a prayer alarm; instead of eating your usual treat, you pray. That keeps you focused all day long. "
Poica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Umm...and?
Multiplexed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll rep you for atleast trying to do a semi-proper fast (proper fast includes no drinking). You're one of the few Christians...
shinytoy
Rep:
?
i dont drink anyway!
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think he meant no drinking water.

Hooray for death!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I considered doing the daylight fast for Ramadan (I'm not Muslim or anything, was just freeloading on the experience.) Anyway, long story short, it lasted two days. Perhaps this goes to prove that you need faith to do that sort of thing.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
hello

i fasted (water only)all yesterday because it was ash wednesday. then today im trying to stick to the rules of Lent. im normally vegan so for me to give up meat means nothing. ditto for dairy. so im trying to stick to the '1 meal a day' and 2 snacks way of fasting. today i had an orange and an apple and im hungry. i will probably have a can of beans later, maybe on toast. i know when you are hungry you are meant to remind to pray. but what about?

i read about this thing called religious anorexia which is when you fast too much and become anorexic as a result. i didnt know that existed. also i didnt know orthodox christians end up fasting 200 days a year.

fast is also different from anorexia nervosa: it is disciplined diet, not total abstention from food. During a religious fast, you still eat, you just abstain from certain foodstuffs. Traditionally, people have fasted by eliminating luxury items from their diets, such as meats. You could have a fast that consists of eating whatever you want, but drinking only water. Orthodox Christians recognize five levels of fasting:

Abstaining from meat
Abstaining from all foods and beverages except bread, water, juices, honey, and nuts.
Note that the fifth and strictest level describes John the Baptizer’s diet, and it is may very well have been the fast that Jesus undertook for forty days in the wilderness. (Christians reenact this retreat during Lent.)

i also read this:
Sorry: I lost the will to read, about four lines down from the top.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What a load of crap - why do I care if you're fasting? Exactly, I don't! I've fasted for religious events since I was 12, and you don't here me whinging on about how hard it is! Am I supposed to be impressed by this? Well, I'm not.

Also, the thing is though that you're not even fasting properly - fasting means not eating, so this is all crap. Anyhows, for most of this year at Uni I've probably only averaged around a meal a day, and I'm not even trying!
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hello

Abstaining from meat

i also read this:
Sounds to me like you're trying to lose weight.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Apricot Fairy)
Sounds to me like you're trying to lose weight.
Or she's preaching like she always does...
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
did any of us ask for a lecture on why your fasting lots of people on this site have fasted in the past and will continue to do so in the future and i mean proper fasting
shinytoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angel Interceptor)
What a load of crap - why do I care if you're fasting? Exactly, I don't! I've fasted for religious events since I was 12, and you don't here me whinging on about how hard it is! Am I supposed to be impressed by this? Well, I'm not.

Also, the thing is though that you're not even fasting properly - fasting means not eating, so this is all crap. Anyhows, for most of this year at Uni I've probably only averaged around a meal a day, and I'm not even trying!
no one is forcing you to reply to this thread.

in any case, religious fasting like Ramadan and Lent, you CAN eat, just in a restricted way. just shows your ignorance really

maybe if you ate something you'd be less irratible?mmm?

and whats the longest fast you have been on?
what do you want applause for being too lazy to cook for yourself at uni?

anyway.

i think i found yesterday so hard. i think it was cos of the water-fast on ash wednesday, on thursday i was still hungry, but didnt eat breakfast or lunch the next day.

today is better, im not hungry but i guess i will eat beans and bread for dinner again.i guess this thread was mainly to discuss why fasting is good for prayer
shinytoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Niaya)
did any of us ask for a lecture on why your fasting lots of people on this site have fasted in the past and will continue to do so in the future and i mean proper fasting
did anyone ask you to read this thread?no? is anyone forcing you to read this thread? no?

in what way, a proper fast, as in not eating? whats the length of theose?

i didwater fastingon ash wednesday, and will do so on maundy thursday and good friday.

Ramadan is the same as Lent in that it is not 'only drink water', its eating in a restricted way.and its only 30 days. Lent is 40.

so try tellign a muslim that Ramadan is not a time for fasting.
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no one is forcing you to reply to this thread.

in any case, religious fasting like Ramadan and Lent, you CAN eat, just in a restricted way. just shows your ignorance really

maybe if you ate something you'd be less irratible?mmm?

and whats the longest fast you have been on?
what do you want applause for being too lazy to cook for yourself at uni?

anyway.

i think i found yesterday so hard. i think it was cos of the water-fast on ash wednesday, on thursday i was still hungry, but didnt eat breakfast or lunch the next day.

today is better, im not hungry but i guess i will eat beans and bread for dinner again.i guess this thread was mainly to discuss why fasting is good for prayer
Not really; you're not allowed to eat between certain time periods.

Incidentally, I find this thread rather ostentatious.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
yes. thats my point. ramadan, you can eat, but it is restricted by the time of eating. in Lent, it is restricted to one full meal and only to certain food types.
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
did anyone ask you to read this thread?no? is anyone forcing you to read this thread? no?

in what way, a proper fast, as in not eating? whats the length of theose?

i didwater fastingon ash wednesday, and will do so on maundy thursday and good friday.

Ramadan is the same as Lent in that it is not 'only drink water', its eating in a restricted way.and its only 30 days. Lent is 40.

so try tellign a muslim that Ramadan is not a time for fasting.
I empthaise with your plight shinytoy, but you need to perceive this thread from other's perspective. Most people give little or no attention to religion, so posting this thread only serves to fuel antipathy and allows them to exude their hostility.

Perhaps try posting it in the RC Soc?
shinytoy
Rep:
?
oh yea sorry
Multiplexed
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
shinytoy = cool roman catholic.
Nefarious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Incidentally there is loads in the bible about keeping your fast private and not showing off your piety. "They have already recieved their reward" and all that stuff. Hence posting on TSR has actually rendered your fast pointless. :rolleyes:
Nefarious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Matthew 6:1-6
6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. 2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

16-21
6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads