The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salmonidae
Mate I hate to break it to you but that was a typical F212 question on the biodiversity and sampling chapter! Check the spec

I was talking about the crap about apoptosis or whatever the hell that is a few pages back.
Reply 281
Original post by otrivine
ohs sorry yes you sample forgot to put that but that is how u do it though !! cause there was a similar question like this in jan 2012

I meant sample in regards to trying (sampling) the insecticide on his land. To me this would be the way to gauge its effectiveness, not just carrying out an experiment to identify the number of locusts affecting his plants. I can't find a similar question in the Jan 12 QP. What question number was it?
Original post by Dave23
I meant sample in regards to trying (sampling) the insecticide on his land. To me this would be the way to gauge its effectiveness, not just carrying out an experiment to identify the number of locusts affecting his plants. I can't find a similar question in the Jan 12 QP. What question number was it?

it was question 2) got to the with the mosquitos
Kind of looking forward to this one.

Did well scoring 90/90 UMS in F211 and it would be great if I could get 150 again, and this is definitely possible considering it's normally around 80 to score 100%.

I am pretty sure there will be a lot of questions on enzymes as this was missed in Jan and it's half a module. Also on DNA replication or (in my opinion much more likely) transcription.

The thing is with biology is to use key terms and state the obvious, I was kicking myself looking at the mark scheme for "State 4 similarities between the structure of Haemoglobin and collagen".

Answers (1 each): contains Hydrogen bons, peptide bonds, more than one polypeptide...lol

Good luck everyone :-)
Reply 284
it was question 2) got to the with the mosquitos

The questions are quite different. JAN 12 Question 2Ciii asks about how the effects on mosquitos could be measured, (by sampling before and after the insecticide treatment) while the question asked by Salmonidae asks about how the farmer could test out the effect of insecticides on his crops, not on the animals which were affecting them..?
Original post by Dave23
The questions are quite different. JAN 12 Question 2Ciii asks about how the effects on mosquitos could be measured, (by sampling before and after the insecticide treatment) while the question asked by Salmonidae asks about how the farmer could test out the effect of insecticides on his crops, not on the animals which were affecting them..?

look i think the key points to your question answer is
- random sampling
-sweep netting
- spraying insecticide
-counting how many insects affected
- replicates
-calculate mean
Original post by Dave23

Yes I think that the question I asked might include an extra point for saying about a quardrat and counting numbers of healthy crops.

However bear in mind I made the question up off the top of my head so might not be entirely correct per se.
Reply 287
look i think the key points to your question answer is
- random sampling
-sweep netting
- spraying insecticide
-counting how many insects affected
- replicates
-calculate mean

Agreed :smile:
Original post by Dave23
Agreed :smile:

:confused:as wrong from my previous one then/???
Reply 289
:confused:as wrong from my previous one then/???

You just spoke about (albeit in detail) how to sample for locusts in the field. You completely missed out any reference to before or after the application of the insecticides and the effect that this had on the crops (as well as the locusts)
Original post by Dave23
You just spoke about (albeit in detail) how to sample for locusts in the field. You completely missed out any reference to before or after the application of the insecticides and the effect that this had on the crops (as well as the locusts)

oh ok but got it now :wink:

What name is given to the mechanism of geographical separation?
Reply 291
oh ok but got it now :wink:

What name is given to the mechanism of geographical separation?

Allopatric. But I only know that because I'm also sitting F215 this summer. Pretty sure it's not on the F212 spec?
Original post by Dave23

Allopatric. But I only know that because I'm also sitting F215 this summer. Pretty sure it's not on the F212 spec?

Incorrect it is speciation
Reply 293
Incorrect it is speciation

Speciation is the formation of a new species. Nothing to do with geographical factors.
Original post by Dave23
Speciation is the formation of a new species. Nothing to do with geographical factors.

it was in the Jan 2012 paper
Reply 295
it was in the Jan 2012 paper

The question you asked is nothing at all like question 4d.
Original post by Dave23
The question you asked is nothing at all like question 4d.

thats what i meant ? :wink:
Reply 297
thats what i meant ? :wink:

Thankfully the questions in the exam are a bit more concise and clear lol
Original post by Dave23
Thankfully the questions in the exam are a bit more concise and clear lol

heyy :frown::frown::frown: that was not nice but yes sorry that was badly worded ok let me give you another
What is immunity ?
Reply 299
heyy :frown::frown::frown: that was not nice but yes sorry that was badly worded ok let me give you another
What is immunity ?

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to offend, it's the stress of all these exams and Uni grades that's doing it I think!

Immunity - Having the antibodies for a pathogen with specific antigens already in your body meaning you're able to produce a response to a foreign pathogen more quickly meaning it is neutralised before you show any symptoms?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending