The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Unsworth
Feel free to try these:

1. Suggest two ways cell division in plants differs from cell division in animals. - 2 marks
2. Suggest two routes water molecules can take through the cell surface membrane. - 2 marks
3. Name 2 safety precautions that should be taken before using a spirometer. - 2 marks
4. Name the maximum resolution for a light microscope and for an electron microscope. - 2 marks

2. Suggest two routes water molecules can take through the cell surface membrane. - 2 marks

Through channel proteins in facilitated diffusion
Across carrier proteins in active transport

Is that correct?
Original post by Axion
We don't need to know about this :happy2:

Oh nice :biggrin:
Reply 222
Describe the structure of the SER (1 mark)
Original post by Axion

Through channel proteins in facilitated diffusion
Across carrier proteins in active transport

Is that correct?

I think that would get one mark. Water is never part of active transport to my understanding.

The mark would be 1. through channel proteins and 2. water can simply move across the membrane by osmosis as it is permeable to water.
Original post by Axion
In plant it forms cell plates. in animal cells two new cells are formed

Yup in plant cells you get a cell plate where the spindle equator was and then new cell membrane . And in animal cytokinesis starts from the outside. What would a deep s wave in an ecg suggest?
Original post by sumsum123
Yup in plant cells you get a cell plate where the spindle equator was and then new cell membrane . And in animal cytokinesis starts from the outside. What would a deep s wave in an ecg suggest?

Enlargement of the ventricular walls
Original post by mathsclown
200nm
0.2nm

1. you were correct.
2. Correct, but aquapotins? not ever heard of that ahah, channel proteins yes.
3. First answer no, second yes third yes. could also say check for medical conditions first i.e asthmatics.
4. correct!
Original post by Unsworth
1. you were correct.
2. Correct, but aquapotins? not ever heard of that ahah, channel proteins yes.
3. First answer no, second yes third yes. could also say check for medical conditions first i.e asthmatics.
4. correct!

Aquaporins sorry lol, thanks :smile:
I got some questions:

1.What is the role of the cytoskeleton in cells? (3 marks)
2. How does water move up the xylem (4 marls)
3. how does meiosis differ from mitosis (2 marks)
BTW can someone please explain spirometer to me. I just don't seem to understand it.
...The student then viewed cells from a different part of the onion root.
Suggest why all of the nuclei seen in this part of the root were in interphase.

?
Original post by Axion
Huh? No it cant? The phospholipid bilayer is impermeable to water, only allowing lipid soluble substances through and denying entry to water soluble substances?

surely there is only one way which was the first i said?

Actually the phospholipid bilayer is partially permeable to both water and lipid based molecules. So water is able to directly diffuse through the bilayer.
Reply 232
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Actually the phospholipid bilayer is partially permeable to both water and lipid based molecules. So water is able to directly diffuse through the bilayer.

woooooops just read through my notes :lol: will delete last post

isn't is those that are very small can pass through? ie water?

also guys what percent is this exam of the whole AS?
Water molecules are small enough to pass through the membrane by osmosis. They can also pass through aquaporins.
Original post by TaraBelle

30% of AS
Original post by TaraBelle

30%
Original post by mathsclown
Enlargement of the ventricular walls

Correct :smile: Define homologous chromosomes.
BTW can someone please explain spirometer to me. I just don't seem to understand it.

A spirometer consist of a chamber filled with oxygen that floats on a tank of water. A person breaths from a disposable mouthpeice attached to a tube connected to the chamber of oxygen (medically graded). Breathing in takes oxygen away from the tank causing the lid of the tank to move down. Breathing out forces air into the tank causing it to move up.

The movements are recorded on a data logger so a trace can be made

This is like the procedure of how a Spirometer works, sorry if it still seems like jargon
Original post by arvin_infinity
...The student then viewed cells from a different part of the onion root.
Suggest why all of the nuclei seen in this part of the root were in interphase.

?

Most of the cell cycle is spent in interphase - this is where DNA replication and cell growth takes place before it begins division.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending