inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Having done an apprenticeship, A levels and have nearly finished my degree, I can say they've all got their pros and cons. A levels are good if you want to continue in academia but they don't help in the 'real world'. Employers don't care what qualifications you've got (I've got 3 As at A level, by the way, so it's not a case of having done terrible in my studies). When applying for new jobs I've found my apprenticeship is much more relevant - as they're looking for experience.
Jennie027
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People are going to have an opinion to sway you either way, but it sounds to me like you've made up your mind already and it's completely up to you what you do with your life. There are arguments both for and against both an apprenticeship and A levels. Have a think about both, look on the websites people have posted here, think about your furture and where you'd like to see yourself in 5 years time or whatever. If you decide an apprenticeship is the best option for you, look what kinds of apprenticeships there are and find one which best suits the career you'd like. Basically, only you can decide what is best for you so do some research and have a think about it. Good luck and hope everything goes the way you want it to
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Indeed, it is all about what you want to take from life.

Lets face it, all the options are great - you just need to decide on which one to take.

Best of luck
Deist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would personally go do A-levels and I would recommend you do it too but, only if you're confident you will get good grades.

University fees are at a high £9000 per year and the reason I say you should do A-levels only if you you're going to get good grades is because going to a good Uni will help a lot when paying your University fees, a better University means a better job and a better job means better money. Going to an average University will make paying of the fees much more difficult so you need to make sure if you're going to be paying £9000 a year, you need to get into a good University.

If you're not too confident you're going to get high grades like AAB-A*AA then apprenticeship is better in the long run

Good luck
username418231
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could always study A Levels, then study an Apprenticeship.
Gyjcthcggd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Too bad you couldn't do an apprenticeship to learn how to spell
Jambofun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion and experience, I'd advise doing A-levels, you will appreciate it a lot in the next few years and be glad that you did them like I am.

I say this mainly because I think that after doing A-levels you are a much more skilled person and have the ability to do an apprenticeship but higher up in a company, taking a lot of time off of climbing your way up to the level of someone who has done A-levels.

If you don't think that A-levels are your thing at all, try another form of further education like a college course relevant to the field you wish to work in and then apply to a high apprenticeship.
Jasmin1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How long did you do your apprenticeship for. Would I be able to do it for a year then go to uni
Jess & Nick RMA
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abbie-here)
I have posted this in another section but had no replies, so am hoping someone will help me here?.

I am leaving school in June and am still so confused what to do afterwards. I have applied for business admin apprenticeships,for sixth form and a local college.

The reason that I want an apprenticeship is because I don't like school very much, I feel more mature than everyone there and want to be around adults. The fact I will be earning money also has drawn me into applying.

I don't want to go to sixth form at my school as have been put off by everyone saying the teachers treat you like children and it's just like school. I'm not sure what exact A Levels I would take but am interested in Human Geography so if I went to University I would study that. The A Levels that I would maybe take are Geography, Sociology & Politics - and R.E is compulsory at that sixthform. I could instead go to a local college, and study my A Levels there but am nervous about meeting new people. If I went to a local college I would need to get the bus, my mam isn't in a situation where she could provide me bus fair money everyday, are there any grants available? That is what else is putting me off A Levels.

However, although at this moment in time an apprenticeship does seem to be the best option for me, where could it actually lead me? I get quite good results and wouldn't like to think I would be wasting my life away working somewhere where i'm unhappy when I could be doing something more interesting and higher paid if I had a degree.

So, my question is - what do you think I should do?

Any advice would be really appreciated x

Hi there,

It sounds like you've already made up your mind that you don't really want to go on to continue with school/a levels. Apprenticeships are a good option and there are many 16+ opportunities on offer. You can find some of these on our website, there are a lot of regional opportunities though so it might be worth speaking to local employers.

If you hold on and continue with your a-levels, work your socks off and get some great results there are some fantastic 18+ apprenticeship/school leaver career opportunities which can open great doors to the future and pay a seriously competitive wage.

Lots of food for thought, if you want to hear a bit more from actual apprentices have a look at these reviews from apprentices currently on schemes, they can share their decision making process and why they chose the route their on.

Thanks,

Felicity
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Deist)
...a better University means a better job and a better job means better money. Going to an average University will make paying of the fees much more difficult so you need to make sure if you're going to be paying £9000 a year, you need to get into a good University.

This is pretty much redundant nowadays. Getting into a 'good' university does not guarantee anything.
Jess & Nick RMA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are lots of opportunities on RateMyApprenticeship too. I'd look into the options and decision process that others experienced - you're not the only person in this situation so have a look at why people chose apprenticeships over sixth form or university. http://goo.gl/DeAvYO

Felicity
LeeBrooksx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am 19 and in the 3rd of a 3 year apprenticeship. I was in your position and made the error of initially picking A Levels. I was a solid A/B student right through school and thought A Levels would suit me. After a year of sixth form it became evident that to go on to UNI at the end point of sixth form would be both financially and personally very difficult. I chose to do an apprenticeship and never looked back! I am now earning above £500 on an average week. My company is already discussing UNI courses that they would assist me through after my apprenticeship and I now have the skills and experience had near guaranteed that if I desired I would nearly always be able to find work. Would suggest an apprenticeship to anyone!
StevenJH
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeeBrooksx)
I am 19 and in the 3rd of a 3 year apprenticeship. I was in your position and made the error of initially picking A Levels. I was a solid A/B student right through school and thought A Levels would suit me. After a year of sixth form it became evident that to go on to UNI at the end point of sixth form would be both financially and personally very difficult. I chose to do an apprenticeship and never looked back! I am now earning above £500 on an average week. My company is already discussing UNI courses that they would assist me through after my apprenticeship and I now have the skills and experience had near guaranteed that if I desired I would nearly always be able to find work. Would suggest an apprenticeship to anyone!
Nice! What industry are you completing your apprenticeship in if you don't mind me asking?
JessicaLucy09
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I went to college and finished AS levels and A levels.
I didn't enjoy it and by the second year I had bassically give up as I didn't want to be there!
As soon as I left I got an apprenticeship and it was due to my GCSE'S, my A levels may of helped slightly however, without A levels you can still get an apprenticeship.

I love my apprenticeship! If I could do it again I wouldn't go to college and I would get an apprenticeship straight after school. You are earning while you are learning, it is by far the best way to go.

Hope this helps!
Jessica
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
I think A levels will be the best options as these are the qualifications you need to get into uni and since you said you would want to study human Geography I think A levels should do. The ultimate decision is yours so please make a wise decision as the decision you make now will affect you either positively or negatively.

Good luck
abbie-here
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I posted this thread in 2012, just as a little update...

I went onto complete my apprenticeship NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 in Business Administration, in the public sector. I was taken on my employer for a year as a full time member of staff (whilst completing my level 3 apprenticeship).

Unfortunately, due to government cuts, I was made redundant in August 2014. I have since gone onto find myself another job, and have also applied for University as an independent applicant. So far, I have 3 offers to start in September 2015.

Looking back now, I think I made the correct decision. I had two years of money in my pocket, gained so much work experience as well as gaining my qualifications. I am looking forward to hopefully starting University in September, the confidence I gained from working full time has also helped me greatly.

Abbie
abbie-here
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gyjcthcggd)
Too bad you couldn't do an apprenticeship to learn how to spell
It's such a shame that people feel the need to make unnecessary and unhelpful comments on threads.

If you feel the need to make a sarcastic comment on my spellings, please point them out? Also, do you understand that this thread is almost 3 years old?

'TOO BAD' you didn't ever learn to use a full stop at the end of your sentences, eh?
Jess & Nick RMA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Abbie,

Well done on the uni offers!

Also, sorry to hear about the redundancy but it sounds like you gained lots though.
If you get a chance please submit a review of your apprenticeship at www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk

You get a £5.00 amazon voucher and it is a great way to share your experience of the scheme.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Amit
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abbie-here)
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I posted this thread in 2012, just as a little update...

I went onto complete my apprenticeship NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 in Business Administration, in the public sector. I was taken on my employer for a year as a full time member of staff (whilst completing my level 3 apprenticeship).

Unfortunately, due to government cuts, I was made redundant in August 2014. I have since gone onto find myself another job, and have also applied for University as an independent applicant. So far, I have 3 offers to start in September 2015.

Looking back now, I think I made the correct decision. I had two years of money in my pocket, gained so much work experience as well as gaining my qualifications. I am looking forward to hopefully starting University in September, the confidence I gained from working full time has also helped me greatly.

Abbie
Well done OP!! (y)
abbie-here
Rep:
?
(Original post by Y333EEE)
Well done OP!! (y)
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (173)
58.25%
No they should not (89)
29.97%
Abstain (35)
11.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed