Matt-Cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abbie-here)
I have posted this in another section but had no replies, so am hoping someone will help me here?.

I am leaving school in June and am still so confused what to do afterwards. I have applied for business admin apprenticeships,for sixth form and a local college.

The reason that I want an apprenticeship is because I don't like school very much, I feel more mature than everyone there and want to be around adults. The fact I will be earning money also has drawn me into applying.

I don't want to go to sixth form at my school as have been put off by everyone saying the teachers treat you like children and it's just like school. I'm not sure what exact A Levels I would take but am interested in Human Geography so if I went to University I would study that. The A Levels that I would maybe take are Geography, Sociology & Politics - and R.E is compulsory at that sixthform. I could instead go to a local college, and study my A Levels there but am nervous about meeting new people. If I went to a local college I would need to get the bus, my mam isn't in a situation where she could provide me bus fair money everyday, are there any grants available? That is what else is putting me off A Levels.

However, although at this moment in time an apprenticeship does seem to be the best option for me, where could it actually lead me? I get quite good results and wouldn't like to think I would be wasting my life away working somewhere where i'm unhappy when I could be doing something more interesting and higher paid if I had a degree.

So, my question is - what do you think I should do?

Any advice would be really appreciated x
I'm currently an Apprentice myself after I studied A Levels. Honestly I'd say go to college, with GCSEs alone you'll get a Level 2 apprenticeship, with A Levels a Level 3 which will lead on to degree (probably) or you could even go to uni yourself.

I'm hopefully leaving my apprenticeship and going to uni this September, so in my opinion, college is better but that's just my opinion, good luck!
abbie-here
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Matt-Cat)
I'm currently an Apprentice myself after I studied A Levels. Honestly I'd say go to college, with GCSEs alone you'll get a Level 2 apprenticeship, with A Levels a Level 3 which will lead on to degree (probably) or you could even go to uni yourself.

I'm hopefully leaving my apprenticeship and going to uni this September, so in my opinion, college is better but that's just my opinion, good luck!
I started this thread about 3 years ago, did my apprenticeship and now applying for uni! I do agree though, if I had my time again I think i'd reconsider and go to college.

Good luck with uni!
Matt-Cat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started this thread about 3 years ago, did my apprenticeship and now applying for uni! I do agree though, if I had my time again I think i'd reconsider and go to college.

Good luck with uni!
Can tell I'm new to this haha! Sorry and thanks!
abbie-here
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can tell I'm new to this haha! Sorry and thanks!
no problem!
Topps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Not strictly true
GCSE's will get you a Level 3
ALevels can get you a Level 4 which can sometimes lead onto a university degree or equivalent qualification.

But i do recommend going to College first then deciding whether Uni or Apprenticeships, will give you more options and be good If you suddenly change your mind.
123Dillz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You people who are going down the apprenticeship have you really thought about it hardcore and done your pros and cons with A level and apprenticeship? Because i am I the position now I have 2 years of being a mechanic and now I have the option of choosing A level or Apprenticeship. I love the apprenticeship they have offered me and nowerday it is very hard to find a job o have applied for loads and I have an amzaning CV and referance but still no apply from employers. So I am really not sure so I will wait for my grades and take it from there moreso the apprenticeship employer wants me in and start working now as he wants a cheap worker which does put me off.
Hutchyy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
money is everything, no two ways about it
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Any update?
SRETGDGB E
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Unknown
WoodyMKC
serah.exe
Black Cat
cupcakes87
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Little Popcorns
mck957
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm starting to do A levels so can you do A levels and apprenticeship at the same time
Golden Touch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have posted this in another section but had no replies, so am hoping someone will help me here?.

I am leaving school in June and am still so confused what to do afterwards. I have applied for business admin apprenticeships,for sixth form and a local college.

The reason that I want an apprenticeship is because I don't like school very much, I feel more mature than everyone there and want to be around adults. The fact I will be earning money also has drawn me into applying.

I don't want to go to sixth form at my school as have been put off by everyone saying the teachers treat you like children and it's just like school. I'm not sure what exact A Levels I would take but am interested in Human Geography so if I went to University I would study that. The A Levels that I would maybe take are Geography, Sociology & Politics - and R.E is compulsory at that sixthform. I could instead go to a local college, and study my A Levels there but am nervous about meeting new people. If I went to a local college I would need to get the bus, my mam isn't in a situation where she could provide me bus fair money everyday, are there any grants available? That is what else is putting me off A Levels.

However, although at this moment in time an apprenticeship does seem to be the best option for me, where could it actually lead me? I get quite good results and wouldn't like to think I would be wasting my life away working somewhere where i'm unhappy when I could be doing something more interesting and higher paid if I had a degree.

Im in the same situation, i hate school (not the subjects)
I was gonna do a levels Sociology, English and media but after going to a careers fest and stumbling on this, I'm not so sure anymore
Well I'm sure the basic apprenticeship is the same as a levels. A higher apprenticeship (after doing the lower one I believe) is like university but you don't
Get put in **** lots of debt
Autumn0897
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think of it like this; you're getting paid to learn. Something you don't get at sixth form or college.
I did one year of A-Levels and enjoyed it as I got to meet new people after leaving school, but I did that a year after I left school, so when I went into my second year, my school friends were off to uni, which sucked.

For me personally, I've found working is a lot easier as when studying, they don't always allow you to put that practise into place.

Part of me wishes I carried on my A-Levels and went to university, however I am lucky that I've found an apprenticeship with I love. All my friends will be leaving university this year with a heck of a lot of debt, and yeah, I may now be a few years behind and not on fantastic pay, but I am being paid to learn! Hopefully after I complete this year, I can get a full time role or go on to do a degree apprenticeship.

That's my personal experience so hope it helps

LifelineMain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I definitely recommend doing both, actually. Especially if you are looking into doing Business Administration.

When applying for my apprenticeship I definitely had the edge over other candidates with my academic background which was a good starting point. This allowed me to choose a really well paid apprenticeship.
My apprenticeship provider believed that the values in completing A levels (organisation, working to deadlines etc) were invaluable in my application.

I really felt the same way in being "burned out" from school and didn't want to go into sixth form, but I reasoned that it's less than 2 years with exams being in the spring - and it goes really, really fast!
Last edited by LifelineMain; 1 year ago
Aryz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnsleyjames)
Do an apprenticeship. I was bored of school just like you and getting a full time job working with professionals in the real world has done me the world of good and most of the time apprentices stay with the company once the apprenticeship has ended by moving into a full time permanent (and better paid!) position.

Everybody always says you need qualifications and experience - apprenticeships give you both plus you get paid. In a few years when all your school friends are leaving uni with next to no work experience, you'll be way ahead of the game.

Good luck!
lol not true at all u can still gain work experience alongside ur a levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (178)
58.75%
No they should not (90)
29.7%
Abstain (35)
11.55%

Watched Threads