Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one driven absolutely mad by them?

The world is plagued with them. I went into a bakery today, and was utterly horrified to notice a sign which said "bag's of sweet's - 50p". It's such an easy concept to grasp; the problem is that people are not being taught proper grammar these days. It really is a tragedy. :'-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)

The world is plagued with them. I went into a bakery today, and was utterly horrified to notice a sign which said "bag's of sweet's - 50p". It's such an easy concept to grasp; the problem is that people are not being taught proper grammar these days. It really is a tragedy. :'-(
    yeh i guess it can be quite annoying. there are book's out now that deal with this kind of stuff. ones' called eat's, shoots and leaves. you should read it. im sure there are other's tho!

ReputationRep:
    what about when people say "should of" instead of "should have"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    and 'will' instead of 'shall'.

ReputationRep:
    stop being so pendantic? It was hardly an offical document...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    and 'will' instead of 'shall'.
    ! really ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Yeah, and "looks like" instead of "looks as if".

Or "for free" instead of either just "free" or "free of charge".

Etc etc etc :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    stop being so pendantic? It was hardly an offical document...
    tut tut, question mark on a request and spelt official wrong. He's obviously one of them !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    ! really ?
    yes, i am plagued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    tut tut, question mark on a request and spelt official wrong. He's obviously one of them !
    you missed 'pendantic'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    you missed 'pendantic'
    ah, so i did. perhaps he meant pedantic: adj : marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects

ReputationRep:

Argh.. that's so annoying. There's a pub near home with a sign that says "private party's" on it. Exactly, it's not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Argh.. that's so annoying. There's a pub near home with a sign that says "private party's" on it. Exactly, it's not that hard.
    That is terrible........

"party's" - thats going over the limit!!

ReputationRep:

No, the one of the biggest problems is the tuition of mathematics, not english.

Ask the chinese and indians, they'll tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    No, the one of the biggest problems is the tuition of mathematics, not english.

Ask the chinese and indians, they'll tell you.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i have a habbit of doing it because i rush when typing

i dont mind so much in shops and that but i keep seeing adverts from the council/govt full of mistakes, which winds me up. they have lots on buses I have noticed. my favourite is the one about literacy that plays free and loose with capital letters ("People like you are Taking the Test") and my 2nd favourite is for Sure Start St Ann's......hehe. for some reason i got a copy of the council newsletter the other day as well and that was full of mistakes. if i could be arsed i would cut them out and post them to the council complaining. but i cant.

rosie

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.