Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how do i make x the subject in this formula:

V = 4XQUBED-(2L-2W)X SQUARD +XLW/
    V EQUALS FOUR EX DOUBLED MINUS BRAKET TWO EL MINUS TWO DOUBLEU BRAKET CLOSED EX SQUARD PLUS EX EL W

PLEASE HELP

ReputationRep:
    wtf is dubed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz1)

V EQUALS FOUR EX DUBED MINUS BRAKET TWO EL MINUS TWO DOUBLEU BRAKET CLOSED EX SQUARD PLUS EX EL W

PLEASE HELP
    V = 4 x³ - (2l-2w) x² + xlw

It is quite difficult to make x the subject, you need to use the 3rd orde equivalent of the "quadratic" formula, which has one real answer (which is probably the one you want, seeing as the equation looks physical)

ReputationRep:
    wrong. can't be bothered to try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    V = 4 x³ - (2l-2w) x² + xlw

It is quite difficult to make x the subject, you need to use the 3rd orde equivalent of the "quadratic" formula, which has one real answer (which is probably the one you want, seeing as the equation looks physical)
    What is that formula? Do you know that one exists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    yes i do know it exists. i dont know the formula off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    It is, errm, rather difficult to do that any other way apart from using the formula. I suspect that using the cubic formula will throw out some horrible answer though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    V/x = (2x - L)(2x + w)
    = 4x² + (2w + 2L)x + Lw

use the quadratic formula:

a = 4
    b = (2w - 2L)
    c = Lw

x = ( -b +/- sqroot (b² - 4ac) ) / 2a
    = 2L - 2w +/- sqroot ( (2w-2L)² - 4*4*Lw) / 2*4
    = 2L - 2w +/- sqroot ( 4w² + 4L² - 24Lw ) / 8

more or less
    you cant use the quad formula, because the RHS has to be 0, and yours is V/x

ReputationRep:
    And when you multiply out the brackets the constant term has to be +LW not -LW (as your factorisation suggests). All in all, that's a bad piece of maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    There are general formulas for cubics and quartics, but not for any higher order equations.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the formula - it's not nice.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    It is, errm, rather difficult to do that any other way apart from using the formula. I suspect that using the cubic formula will throw out some horrible answer though.
    ive used mathematica and it's a horrible answer. im trying to format it and post it. (and thats only the real answer! the imaginaries are worse!)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I should add that a is the coefficient of x cubed, b is the coefficient of x squared, c is the coefficient of x and d is the constant term. It is only valid for a(x^3)+b(x^2)+cx+d=0

ReputationRep:
    uh-oh spaghetti o's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz1)

V EQUALS FOUR EX DUBED MINUS BRAKET TWO EL MINUS TWO DOUBLEU BRAKET CLOSED EX SQUARD PLUS EX EL W

PLEASE HELP
    i assume this is the coursework for finding max vol of box so u want to first differentiate and the max for cetain values of l and w will be when it equals 0
    differentiate:
    v/x=12x^2-(2l-2w)+LW
    when this equals 0,
    however, i think u may have gone wrong sumwhere

but u can use quad formula to find values of x for certain ls and ws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you cant use the quad formula, because the RHS has to be 0, and yours is V/x
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    *shudders*

Who on earth came up with that!

ReputationRep:
    mathematica gives the real answer as:

x = 2(l-w)/3 + (2^(1/3))*(-4(l -w)²+3lw)/(3(-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³ + √(4(-4(l-w)²+ 3 lw)³ + (-16 l³ - 27V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² +16 w³)²))^(1/3)) - (1/(3*2^(1/3))) ((-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³ + √(4(-4(l - w)² + 3 lw)³ + (-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³)²))^(1/3))))

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how you'd prove that. Completing the cube?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    mathematica gives the real answer as:

x = 2(l-w)/3 + (2^(1/3))*(-4(l -w)²+3lw)/(3(-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³ + √(4(-4(l-w)²+ 3 lw)³ + (-16 l³ - 27V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² +16 w³)²))^(1/3)) - (1/(3*2^(1/3))) ((-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³ + √(4(-4(l - w)² + 3 lw)³ + (-16 l³ - 27 V + 66 l²w - 66 lw² + 16 w³)²))^(1/3))))

Are you sure thats the only way i can make X the subject & how about this one:
    SIMPLIFY IT, THEN MAKE X THE SUBJECT
    V=(L-2X)*(W-2X)*X

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.