Does the 'special relationship' between US/UK exist?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Title says it all.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. It is a figment of the British, and not American, imagination.

Good God.........as from next October you'll all need biometric data entered into your passports and an interview in the US Embassy in London just to come see Mickey!
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Title says it all.
Yes Americans love our royal family and our castles.
L.T. DOOM
Report 16 years ago
Title says it all.
Bush Bums Blair
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by L.T. DOOM)
Bush Bums Blair
good use of alliteration!
fred0202
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
No. It is a figment of the British, and not American, imagination.

Good God.........as from next October you'll all need biometric data entered into your passports and an interview in the US Embassy in London just to come see Mickey!
I think there are high level talks going on to solve that problem so I doubt that will ever happen.

As for the special relationship, I think one stills exists you only have to look how closely the intelligence agencies cooperate. Also how many countries have the tomahawk cruise missile and the trident system, some of America's most sophisticated weapon systems?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fred0202)
I think there are high level talks going on to solve that problem so I doubt that will be ever happen.

As for the special relationship, I think one stills exists you only have to look how closely the intelligence agencies cooperate. Also how many countries have the tomahawk cruise missile and the trident system, some of America's most sophisticated weapon systems?
Well, at government level you are certainly right.

As for public perception of the "special relationship" I'd say it is a lot more acute in the UK than it is in the US.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
What about the time when Donald Rumsfield got up and said something along the lines of "We really don't need the British, we can do it alone just fine, why are we waiting again?" This at the same time Tony Blair is *putting himself under a huge pressure to get British support for the war.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Howard, do you think it's ever likely that some sort of free trading agreement could be setup between the US and Britain?
fred0202
Report 16 years ago
Well, at government level you are certainly right.

As for public perception of the "special relationship" I'd say it is a lot more acute in the UK than it is in the US.
That is right but Americans tend not to be too interested in world wide affairs so have very little interest in this sort of thing, after all only 10% of Americans have passports.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about the time when Donald Rumsfield got up and said something along the lines of "We really don't need the British, we can do it alone just fine, why are we waiting again?" This at the same time Tony Blair is *putting himself under a huge pressure to get British support for the war.
Well, he was probably talking from a practical point of view. Militarily, the US didn't actually NEED the UK in Iraq and could have handled it alone.

Lord knows, we're talking about a country that is targeting to recruit 290,000 soldiers into the Army this year alone. What's that? 3 times the UK's total? In one year?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Howard, do you think it's ever likely that some sort of free trading agreement could be setup between the US and Britain?
Errrr.... well they're both members of the WTO so theoretically there shouldn't really be a need for for one.....
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fred0202)
That is right but Americans tend not to be too interested in world wide affairs so have very little interest in this sort of thing, after all only 10% of Americans have passports.
That's true enough.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They do trade freely, save the odd steel embargo!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They do trade freely, save the odd steel embargo!
..and banana's and beef and music and FSC's and the little matter of the Bird Amendment but yes......
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If it rains heavy in the US then expect floods over here in the UK
fred0202
Report 16 years ago
It will take along time, they couldn't even agree on a relatively simple open skies agreement. I think Gordon Brown wants it so the two governments are at least talking about it.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
..and banana's and beef and music and FSC's and the little matter of the Bird Amendment but yes......
Byrd (not Bird :rolleyes: ) which of course Bush is trying to repeal.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
It did rather come across, (and was reported as) effectively saying "Who is this annoying puny country trying to get involved? what on earth do they want?"

As for the trade, the steel tariffs and embargoes meant a shitload to us, alot of people here were not at all amused. We look within europe for trade on the whole, with a bit of work, perhaps we could look to the US for a similar relationship, so they too could effectively be seen as 'right on our doorstep.'
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Byrd (not Bird :rolleyes: ) which of course Bush is trying to repeal.
Damn American spellings :rolleyes:. (I'm sick, have some pity)

Regardless of what Bush claims he wants though, it's been found contrary to WTO rules and a year later is still in place. We'll see what happens.

And no, Britain couldn't sign a bilateral trade agreement with the States, not while it remains as an EU member at least.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads