Does the 'special relationship' between US/UK exist?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Regardless of what Bush claims he wants though, it's been found contrary to WTO rules and a year later is still in place. We'll see what happens.

And no, Britain couldn't sign a bilateral trade agreement with the States, not while it remains as an EU member at least.
That's because he's having some trouble repealing it in Congress.

Besides, the Byrd ammendment is a compensatory mechanism. In other words it was designed to compensate American Industry from it's losses rather than directly subsidize production to tip the balance in America's favor.

You need to look to the EU for examples of truly mean-spirited government intervention (government subsidy) in their favor.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's because he's having some trouble repealing it in Congress.

-I'm aware of this

Besides, the Byrd ammendment is a compensatory mechanism. In other words it was designed to compensate American Industry from it's losses rather than directly subsidize production to tip the balance in America's favor.

-Byrd is just an ambulance chaser's charter and it's hardly surprising that the WTO's dispute settlement board ruled against the States.

You need to look to the EU for examples of truly mean-spirited government intervention (government subsidy) in their favor.

-I'm not a big fan of similar EU policies either.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"Byrd is just an ambulance chaser's charter and it's hardly surprising that the WTO's dispute settlement board ruled against the States"

Actually, it is quite surprizing since it compensates rather than directly subsidizes.

"I'm not a big fan of similar EU policies either"

Well, that surprizes me coming as you do from Ireland, one of the biggest beneficiaries of subsidization in Europe.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Byrd is just an ambulance chaser's charter and it's hardly surprising that the WTO's dispute settlement board ruled against the States"

Actually, it is quite surprizing since it compensates rather than directly subsidizes.

-Because it encourages the world and his dog to launch a claim for 'compensation', it wasn't ruled illegal on a whim. The decision has been made anyway so it's a moot point really.

"I'm not a big fan of similar EU policies either"

Well, that surprizes me coming as you do from Ireland, one of the biggest beneficiaries of subsidization in Europe.

- My nationality doesn't make me blind to the fact that the CAP is an outrage.
Ronnie Raygun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
THERE IS a special relationship between the U.S. and U.K.

I've been to England twice and loved it.....the people there were amazing. We were very well recieved......I love the music and movies that come from the UK (though I often loath the politics of the people who make them).....I quite often drink in an Irish pub in my home town(though it's not a true Irish pub since we are allowed to smoke).....and I have plans to travel to Scotland this year.....

Can you feel the love?
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ronnie Raygun)
THERE IS a special relationship between the U.S. and U.K.

I've been to England twice and loved it.....the people there were amazing. We were very well recieved......I love the music and movies that come from the UK (though I often loath the politics of the people who make them).....I quite often drink in an Irish pub in my home town(though it's not a true Irish pub since we are allowed to smoke).....and I have plans to travel to Scotland this year.....

Can you feel the love?

Irish pub? the question was the USA and the U.K. where have you been for the last 83 years since Irish Independence was established. The Republic of Ireland is an independent country and actually holds the presidency of the EU.
Northern Ireland remains part of the UK.
Ronnie Raygun
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"where have you been for the last 83 years since Irish Independence was established........."

Where have I been? Are you making an attempt at being a smart ass? I'll respond by using your own words.....

"Northern Ireland remains part of the UK."

Get it?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ronnie Raygun)
"where have you been for the last 83 years since Irish Independence was established........."

Where have I been? Are you making an attempt at being a smart ass? I'll respond by using your own words.....

"Northern Ireland remains part of the UK."

Get it?
Yes, but themed "Irish pubs" endevour (though often fail) to create a Dublin atmosphere, not a Belfast one.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can I just ask why america is not adhering to the geneva convention in camp xray. I know that film was released showing the prisoners being treated fairly, but then hitler released tapes showing the jews being treated fairly.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am sure you can find evidence that american companies and individuals supported the IRA financially, and the government knew about it. They didn't lift a finger, they thought it was our problem.
And then to go on about a war on terror after they get bombed, it seems a little hypocritical.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Can I just ask why america is not adhering to the geneva convention in camp xray. I know that film was released showing the prisoners being treated fairly, but then hitler released tapes showing the jews being treated fairly.
Because the American leader lacks morals, principles and evidence and is one stupid ****.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am sure you can find evidence that american companies and individuals supported the IRA financially, and the government knew about it. They didn't lift a finger, they thought it was our problem.
And then to go on about a war on terror after they get bombed, it seems a little hypocritical.
Indeed.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it gets better, they are a member of the UN security council, and the council didn't want to go to war with iraq, so what does bush do, goes to war anyway, and then makes the great statement, whoever isn't with us, is against us.

and then the all knowing bush calls north korea part of the axis of evil, then, when they resume their nuclear weapons program, bush wants to negotiate with them
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because the Geneva convention is designed to protect 'prisoners of war' and those held at Camp XRAY are not so deemed.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did or did not bush pronounce a war on terror and therefore declare war on terrorists. Therefore they are prisoners of war. anyway, I thought the american constitution was designed so the activities and camp x-ray could not occur
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it would seem hypocritical if you could find evidence that American companies KNOWINGLY supported the IRA, but you can't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did or did not bush pronounce a war on terror and therefore declare war on terrorists. Therefore they are prisoners of war. anyway, I thought the american constitution was designed so the activities and camp x-ray could not occur
'War on terror" is a catchphrase and nothing more. Those held at XRAY are not POWs in the traditional sense of the word.

The US constitution guarantees rights to US citizens. A foreigner cannot claim constitutional rights.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As far as I'm aware, america didn't declare war on vietnam or korea, but they still went and fought there. Both of them too are referred to as a war, and it may just be a catchphrase, but it still sounds like a war. Maybe bush should choose his words more carefully
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
here is a bit of evidence that the IRA was funded from america, in full knowledge of the government

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563119.stm
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As far as I'm aware, america didn't declare war on vietnam or korea, but they still went and fought there. Both of them too are referred to as a war, and it may just be a catchphrase, but it still sounds like a war. Maybe bush should choose his words more carefully
So, you're telling me you can't spot the difference between American intervention in Vietnam and America's effort to combat terrorism?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (20)
39.22%
Take autumn exams (20)
39.22%
Look for a job (1)
1.96%
Consider an apprenticeship (1)
1.96%
Take a year out (6)
11.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.88%

Watched Threads