Does the 'special relationship' between US/UK exist?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
true, vietnam wasn't a threat to them, they intervened in a civil war and split the country in two. They didn't like the ideology so they all but invaded them.
At least they had a reason to begin the war of terror.

sorry about that, typo
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
true, vietnam was a threat to them, they intervened in a civil war and split the country in two. They didn't like the ideology so they all but invaded them.
Vietnam was a threat to America? I very much doubt it.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
Vietnam was a threat to America? I very much doubt it.
Communism was a threat to the Western world.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Communism was a threat to the Western world.
It conflicted with their ideology, but Vietnam did not pose a threat to the global super power USA! Vietnam was not a threatening situation. I only think - what a pointless cause, what a devastating waste of life.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
true, vietnam wasn't a threat to them, they intervened in a civil war and split the country in two. They didn't like the ideology so they all but invaded them.

sorry about that, typo
Vietnam at the time we are talking about were split into North and South. The North invaded the South. America intervened and lost. Vietnam became one country which enjoyed 30 odd years of stagnation under communist rule before recently, if not reluctantly, emerging to join the rest of the world....sort of anyway.

The Americans obviously did not "intervene in a civil war and split the country in two" did they?" You want to read some basics before you post next time. :rolleyes:
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And why is communism a threat, may I ask, is it because they do not share our ideals, they do not desire profit more than anything else, that they work together. Fair enough, communism is not perfect, but what right do we have to try and force our ideals on over countries.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It conflicted with their ideology, but Vietnam did not pose a threat to the global super power USA! Vietnam was not a threatening situation.
The spread of communism was a threat to the Western World.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The spread of communism was a threat to the Western World.
Communsim was being contained just about. It was pretty obvious Communsim wouldn't strive anyhow. Again i say - the threat was exaggerated.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Vietnam at the time we are talking about were split into North and South. The North invaded the South. America intervened and lost. Vietnam became one country which enjoyed 30 odd years of stagnation under communist rule before recently, if not reluctantly, emerging to join the rest of the world....sort of anyway.

The Americans obviously did not "intervene in a civil war and split the country in two" did they?" You want to read some basics before you post next time. :rolleyes:
That is exactly how world wars start, one country invades another, then another country allied with them helps them. This then draws more countries into the war, until eventually continents are at war with each other
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And why is communism a threat, may I ask, is it because they do not share our ideals, they do not desire profit more than anything else, that they work together. Fair enough, communism is not perfect, but what right do we have to try and force our ideals on over countries.
Communism was a threat because the communist countries, in particular the USSR had expansionist aims.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Communism was a threat because the communist countries, in particular the USSR had expansionist aims.
hmm just like the time they stated Greece and Turkey were threatened by communsim, wherein fact neither were particularly threatened - Turkey was less dangerous as there was no military threat! And let's not forget the Hungarian uprisings...where i wonder were the ever encouraging Americans?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And america doesn't have expansion in mind. Why do you think they try to stop communism anyway, they want to expand capitalsim and eventually make every country world wide capitalist.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Communsim was being contained just about. It was pretty obvious Communsim wouldn't strive anyhow. Again i say - the threat was exaggerated.
It wasn't obvious that Communism wouldn't strive at all. We're talking about the 60's here when the USSR was technologically (militarily) at least on a par with the USA.

Communism was seeing new and massive levels of expansion (China only 10 odd years earlier) and the USSR had recently placed a nuclear capability 90 miles from Miami.

Communism clearly wasn't being contained.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And america doesn't have expansion in mind. Why do you think they try to stop communism anyway, they want to expand capitalsim and eventually make every country world wide capitalist.

Have you ever actually been to/lived in a communist/former communist country? If you had, you would know why the Americans wanted to stop communism.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whats wrong with that?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm just like the time they stated Greece and Turkey were threatened by communsim, wherein fact neither were particularly threatened - Turkey was less dangerous as there was no military threat! And let's not forget the Hungarian uprisings...where i wonder were the ever encouraging Americans?
Oh yes, the Hungarian uprising......the one put down by the USSR rolling tanks through the streets of Budapest. That's exactly why communism was seen as a threat.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
whats wrong with that?
nothing - Howard was simply insinuating America did not have that in mind.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh yes, the Hungarian uprising......the one put down by the USSR rolling tanks through the streets of Budapest. That's exactly why communism was seen as a threat.
You have been quite pro-American - would you be able to tell me why America encouraged them and then abandoned their cause?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't you think that's exactly the same view communists will take, it is neccissary to expand, just america thinks it was neccissary to expand capitalism. it is a circular arguement.

I agree that some communist states need to be controlled, such as north korea, but some, like cuba, can be left alone, they don't pose any threat to america
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nothing - Howard was simply insinuating America did not have that in mind.
i didnt say they did. but the idea seems fine to me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads