Turn on thread page Beta

Does the 'special relationship' between US/UK exist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i didnt say they did. but the idea seems fine to me.
    Fair enough. I don't hold anything against expansionist policies. I think they did, and it deeply irritates me when people assume they were the heroic of the two. The USSR and America were just as terrible as each other.

ReputationRep:
    America seems hypocritical, it wants to regulate and ideal remove all nuclear weapons but there own. They have more nuclear warheads than the rest of the world put together, and they have the nerve to complain about other contries nuclear weapon stockpiles.

America is dangerous, and sadly trigger happy. They will intervene whenever it is in their best interest to, but in other conflicts they stay out of, especially ones that will not further their goals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    You have been quite pro-American - would you be able to tell me why America encouraged them and then abandoned their cause?
    I should have thought it was obvious. The Americans encourage the uprising in the hope that it would be sucessful and spread to the other satelite states and perhaps even to the USSR proper, securing the downfall of communism.

That of course didn't happen leaving the US with one of two options, a) "abandon their cause" (your choice of words) or b) help out by rolling US tanks and so causing WWIII.

Based with those two choices what do you think was the right decision to have made?

ReputationRep:
    almost every single american militry action after WWII have been justified as dealing with a dangerous threat to the world.

ReputationRep:
    They promised aid. Military aid even. Thier inabilty to do something reflected badly - on other Eastern European countries who felt America had betrayed them; in turn they did not dare risk another revolution against communist rule. Yes, so much about containing commumsim, when you make promises and don't keep them. Truman also exaggerated threats, because he was anti-communist and in order to get the support of Americans for his policy - he in his own words wanted to ‘scare the hell out of the American people’ thus threats were all overstated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    almost every single american militry action after WWII have been justified as dealing with a dangerous threat to the world.
    And of course the real reason the US Military intervenes is just for "kicks and giggles" isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    sometimes the Americans ve used an incident to get rid of a party the dislike or are against

ReputationRep:
    sometimes the Americans ve used an incident to get rid of a party the dislike or are against
    doesn't everybody :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They promised aid. Military aid even. Thier inabilty to do something reflected badly - on other Eastern European countries who felt America had betrayed them; in turn they did not dare risk another revolution against communist rule. Yes, so much about containing commumsim, when you make promises and don't keep them. Truman also exaggerated threats, because he was anti-communist and in order to get the support of Americans for his policy - he in his own words wanted to ‘scare the hell out of the American people’ thus threats were all overstated.
    So, you think that when the uprising failed the Americans should in fact have invaded. Never mind that this would have assuredly seen the start of WWIII, at least America would have "kept it's promise" and could stand aloft the moral high ground.

Threats were not overstated. A hostile Soviet Union places a nuclear capability 90 miles from Miami. Just how threatened do you want to feel exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So, you think that when the uprising failed the Americans should in fact have invaded. Never mind that this would have assuredly seen the start of WWIII, at least America would have "kept it's promise" and could stand aloft the moral high ground.

Threats were not overstated. A hostile Soviet Union places a nuclear capability 90 miles from Miami. Just how threatened do you want to feel exactly?
    There's a reason to everything. You keep changing everything so that it fits your arguments. Do you not think the Russians felt threatened by the Americans?

ReputationRep:
    And of course ameria didn't have any nukes, and they were completely defenseless. Complete rubbush, russia wouldn't have launched a nuclear strike, they knew america would launch their entire arsnenal against them

ReputationRep:
    the Russians only wanted to install missiles on Cuba as a defensive measure to perhaps deter an american invasion. That's all plausible since the US policy was aggressive towards them.

ReputationRep:
    There's a reason to everything. You keep changing everything so that it fits your arguments. Do you not think the Russians felt threatened by the Americans?
    Yes they did. That is how the cold war perpetuated itself.

ReputationRep:
    the Russians only wanted to install missiles on Cuba as a defensive measure to perhaps deter an american invasion. That's all plausible since the US policy was aggressive towards them.
    How do you know what the Russians wanted? Were you a member of the politburo? So Krushchev wasn't aggresive at all then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they did. That is how the cold war perpetuated itself.
    finally an agreement :rolleyes: However i refuse to believe the US felt seriously threatened by communsim for the whole of the cold war era.

ReputationRep:
    And of course ameria didn't have any nukes, and they were completely defenseless. Complete rubbush, russia wouldn't have launched a nuclear strike, they knew america would launch their entire arsnenal against them
    Exactly. And that's what secured world peace for 50 something years.

ReputationRep:
    I would think that russia would never attempt a nuclear strike, neither would america, it was a stalemate, and america wanted to tip the tables in their favour

ReputationRep:
    finally an agreement :rolleyes: However i refuse to believe the US felt seriously threatened by communsim for the whole of the cold war era.
    Well, I'll admit that the whole "cold war" certainly served the military industrial complexes of both countries very well. How real was the perceived threat to America by the USSR and visa versa we'll never know as neither of us were senior members of either administration during those 40 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll admit that the whole "cold war" certainly served the military industrial complexes of both countries very well. How real was the perceived threat to America by the USSR and visa versa we'll never know as neither of us were senior members of either administration during those 40 years.
    V. true. Glad the slight dissagreement has now come to an end (by the way the communist threat was overstated...american presidents in later memoirs confessed!!!)

ReputationRep:
    No. It is a figment of the British, and not American, imagination.

Good God.........as from next October you'll all need biometric data entered into your passports and an interview in the US Embassy in London just to come see Mickey!
    Why do GCHQ and NIA work as closely as they do? Why does the US have Airforce bases in the UK and on Diego Garcia?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.