Is Civil Engineering a good career in UK? What are the best Universities for Civil?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
zee10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey Everyone,
I am thinking of applying for civil engineering but most people are opposing my decision since they think Civil Eng get paid less and it's demand is also less in some countries. What is the demand of Civil Engineering in UK? Is it worth majoring in CIVIl? I would also like to know what are the best universities for civil engineering except imperial and oxbridge plz share ur experiences with me so that I can make the right decision as I live overseas apprx 20 hours from UK by plane so I CANT come for Open days.
dugdugdug
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zee10)
Hey Everyone,
I am thinking of applying for civil engineering but most people are opposing my decision since they think Civil Eng get paid less and it's demand is also less in some countries. What is the demand of Civil Engineering in UK? Is it worth majoring in CIVIl? I would also like to know what are the best universities for civil engineering except imperial and oxbridge plz share ur experiences with me so that I can make the right decision as I live overseas apprx 20 hours from UK by plane so I CANT come for Open days.
From what I gathered from my friends in engineering, Civil tends to be the most boring of all.

Engineering degrees vary from uni to uni. Imperial has probably got the widest choice, not surprising as it's their forte, with Aero, Mech, Civil, Chem, Computer, Electrical and maybe a few more. You concentrate on that particular area from day one (obviously with some overlap in maths for example).

Oxbridge's is general and you learn more of the other area's discipline. Someone expressed his views here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...20v%20imperial

What do you intend to do afterwards? The majority of UK engineering grads do not work in engineering, instead venturing into finance and other professions.

In terms of construction, the Far East is forever building, so it might be worth paying them a visit, though of course you need experience first.
kingkongjaffa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dugdugdug)
From what I gathered from my friends in engineering, Civil tends to be the most boring of all.

Engineering degrees vary from uni to uni. Imperial has probably got the widest choice, not surprising as it's their forte, with Aero, Mech, Civil, Chem, Computer, Electrical and maybe a few more. You concentrate on that particular area from day one (obviously with some overlap in maths for example).

Oxbridge's is general and you learn more of the other area's discipline. Someone expressed his views here:

What do you intend to do afterwards? The majority of UK engineering grads do not work in engineering, instead venturing into finance and other professions.

In terms of construction, the Far East is forever building, so it might be worth paying them a visit, though of course you need experience first.

that is not true the majority of engineering grads go into engineering from my sources it's the other way around and a few go into finance.
Domenico7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

No one can really say which course is the most "boring" unless they actually do degrees in all the courses, otherwise their opinion is pretty much based on an overview of course content which is found on all university websites.
Domenico7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zee10)
Hey Everyone,
You're right, pay and demand depends on which country you're working in, and for which company, as well as how much experience you have.
Engineers always tend to be in demand, and in many countries, there tends to be a shortage of them.
In terms of pay, it's a hard one to tell. Have a read of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=394525
People tend to think Chemical Engineers get payed the most and Civil are pretty high up too, but I'm not saying the thread is 100% correct, although many users are saying similar things.
You can't go wrong with Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and the other Russell Group universities, plus Bath, in terms of Civil Engineering.
reallytired
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kingkongjaffa)
that is not true the majority of engineering grads go into engineering from my sources it's the other way around and a few go into finance.
I heard that too, that many engineering grads work outside engineering.
kingkongjaffa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by reallytired)
I heard that too, that many engineering grads work outside engineering.
oh right :P I could be wrong, where are you guys getting that from then? do you have any statistics?
zee10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago

Well I don't think Civil Engineering would be boring if I have genuine interest in it. I have a strong interest in investment banking but joining a construction company would be my first choice. My question basically is what are the prospects of CIVIL ENGINEERS IN UK? they are excellent in USA ans dubai plus also in rapidly developing nations like india, indonesia
Domenico7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zee10)
Well I don't think Civil Engineering would be boring if I have genuine interest in it. I have a strong interest in investment banking but joining a construction company would be my first choice. My question basically is what are the prospects of CIVIL ENGINEERS IN UK? they are excellent in USA ans dubai plus also in rapidly developing nations like india, indonesia
You can work abroad remember. I heard they get payed more in USA, plus there's a lot of work available abroad in the Middle East, Far East, Australia, Africa, South America and other places. I know many people who work or have worked abroad in an Engineering field of work.
spearo73
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi there, hope this comment isn't too late! I study civil engineering and think its the best degree i could have chosen. It opens so many doors you wouldn't believe. Anyone who says it is boring hasn't studied it. How can it be, you practically do 7 degrees in 1. I do so many modules ranging from management to design. You have to remember that civil engineering is the broadest form of engineering there is. It means engineering for civilisation. Therefore you get taught so so much. As for demand, civils are constantly in demand in the UK and abroad, just look at UK job websites theres usually around 200-400 jobs advertised at once, changing day to day, which is a hell of a lot more than other degrees out there. I love telling people i do civil engineering purely from the response you get! The degree has so much more respect than other degrees out there! DO IT! you wont regret it !
liuik
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
FYI

http://www.civilengineering-nextcourses.com/

INFO:

Soil modelling using Flac 2D London, February 2014

The courses in soil modelling (FLAC 2D/3D, PLAXIS 2D/3D etc.) are provided by professionals with extensive experience in geotechnical and tunneling engineering with further experience in the oil and gas sector.
Pkvrmora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well..I dont think so its true. Well I am doing civil engineering. My uncle and dad both are civil engineer and both have high salaries. Actually civil engineers are most paid engineers in uk london and america. And there demand are always as we always demolish and construct new infrastructures. But if you are not interested in constructing structure dont do it only for money. This field need hard work,passion and skill.
Musti1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
too much bias in construction sector.I certainly would not recommend for non British professionals
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Closing this thread as it is 5 years old.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads