Turn on thread page Beta

Retaking alevel papers to improve on alevel results whilst at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to retake alevel papers whilst at uni to improve on the original grade?

It just because if I never got the grade I thought i could of got then I would want to retake and at least get a better alevel grade in that subject.

Do many uni's offer the ability to retake alevel exams???

ReputationRep:
    Youd have to do it in your own time id expect.

ReputationRep:
    You would have to find an examinations centre where you could sit the exam, for example a CFE, and then you'd be able to.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget though that your univeristy admission is likely to be dependent on A-Level grades. And once you've cashed-in your modules to get an A-Level (which you'll need to do to get into uni) you can't then re-take any of the exams (unless, of course, you re-do the entire 6 modules!)

I imagine the only way to do it would be to get your grades, call the uni immediately and tell them that you would like to attend in the autumn but would also like to improve your A2's. And see if they will let you attend on the basis of six individual module scores, as opposed to a proper (cashed-in) A-Level.

Although, I expect they will ask you to forget about it because they will want you to concentrate on your uni studies.... Which might be more worthwhile in the long run, and don't forget that you should be having fun in your first year... Wouldn't time spent on an A-Level be better spent (both in terms of enjoyment and your CV) by joining something like the debating soceity?...

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Am I missing the point of 'A' Levels?

A levels are a method of getting into uni, so once there why resit? It seems to me a bit like saying "Ok I passed my driving test, but I could have done better so I'm going to do it again"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Am I missing the point of 'A' Levels?

A levels are a method of getting into uni, so once there why resit? It seems to me a bit like saying "Ok I passed my driving test, but I could have done better so I'm going to do it again"
    jobs dear. Most graduate jobs ask for A Level entry and have minimum requirements for example

http://www.hsbc.com/hsbc/graduates/a...qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    jobs dear. Most graduate jobs ask for A Level entry and have minimum requirements for example

http://www.hsbc.com/hsbc/graduates/a...qualifications
    Interesting.

But won't it make a difference when they see an A level taken in the same year as a degree?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's nice to get a certain grade in a subject just to prove to yourself that you can do it, even if you don't really need that grade to get into university (if the university asks for BBB, for example, you might still like to try and get ABB). However, once at university I really don't think it's worth resitting them - it's difficult enough resitting AS modules in the middle of an A2 course!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.