Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or does the new version of Skype cause others to believe that this is the end for MSN?

Typing, Audio, and Video together at last, in a manner that works (touchwood) reliably!

Sorry, Bill. Move aside. This is the future...

(Original post by The Mudman)
    Is it just me, or does the new version of Skype cause others to believe that this is the end for MSN?

Typing, Audio, and Video together at last, in a manner that works (touchwood) reliably!

Sorry, Bill. Move aside. This is the future...

:rofl: haha. Nicely put

ReputationRep:
    It's good, and its far better than the beta MSN. But MSN is too established. Who wants to go through the trouble of creating n account and then telling everyone then getting everyone they know to install it..

ReputationRep:
    When it's this good? Me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    It's good, and its far better than the beta MSN. But MSN is too established. Who wants to go through the trouble of creating n account and then telling everyone then getting everyone they know to install it..
    before MSN (back in the day) everyone used ICQ. it probably lost its popularity because nobody could remember their ICQ number.

ReputationRep:
    ICQ is still heavily used in germany. my sister went on the german exchange a few months ago and they ALL used icq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoonboy)
    before MSN (back in the day) everyone used ICQ. it probably lost its popularity because nobody could remember their ICQ number.
    Remembering your ICQ number was easy after about a week because of how often you'd used it.

I think the key reason as to why ICQ lost it's popularity is "Uh-Oh!" when somebody messaged me.

Anyway, do I think Skype will become more popular than MSN... tough one.

The problem with voice comms is that do people want people in the same enviroment as them hearing their conversations? Until this privacy issue is solved (like, a sound-proof mask :P) instant messaging will remain dominant.

As to whether or not people will download Skype just for its instant messanging facilities is another thing.

Finally, I think one of the reasons instant messaging is so popular is due to how laid back it is. You're able to have multiple conversations and it goes how fast you want, unlike a phone call.

ReputationRep:
    I use skype for long conversations with my best friends. Other than that... I prefer MSN... I've customised it so much that Skype can't compare on the IM side. I agree though that Skype is far better for Audio/Webcam... but I don't think Bill needs to worry about his IM program going up the chute.

ReputationRep:
    Skype's great, it's how I stayed in touch with my bf while he was in America! (for all of five days :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I think Skype will increase in popularity, but MSN will still stay on top. As others have said, it's too established already.

ReputationRep:
    i have skype but always use msn

ReputationRep:
    i use both, msn for typing and skype for voice/video.

ReputationRep:
    most of my friends don't have a mic...
    problem...

ReputationRep:
    http://tools.netgear.com/skype/

With the increase in city-wide wifi networks, a product like this mobile skype phone could become very popular. No wonder telecomms companies in America are complaining about city-wide wifi networks in Philadelphia and San Francisco, the potential of these two technologies is very disruptive.

ReputationRep:
    MSN has never struck me as the best chat programme out there, but its more popular all the same. Unless Skype gets brought out by MS, it'll never gain all that much popularity, because it isn't pre-installed. And sooner or later, MSN will just include the same functionality and people will default back to using it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.