The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: THAT's my Fave, Because of THIS!

Scroll to see replies

That's got to be Blue Mountain Dew that I had in America. Man that was chemical, sugary, additives goodness that tasted so right yet looked so wrong. It did also make me very high energy and annoying according to my parents.

Fave and Why of: Japanese foods?
Reply 741
Yakizakana for me. I love sashimi for sure, EbiSoba is a go-to, and I'm mad for a mocchi, but the best Japanese dish I ever ate was hands down, Yakizakana.

Simple is sometimes better; it's marinated grilled fish with daikon, and I had it served up with some miso and nori crisps. The Japanese (like the Scots :wink: ) know their seafood!!

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF ORANGE CHOCOLATES(bars, individuals, etc)?
I'll have to give this one to Terry. You go Terry. Chocolate orange is at it's perfection here. And aw, it's even shaped like an orange. I like the segments, the taste, the look, the marketing. They got everything right here. Big up your orangey selves.

Fave and why of oils?
Reply 743
Has to be RAPESEED. As a tradeoff between health and pure lip smacking tasty, the ol' canola makes a freaking deadly yum chip!!

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF CHOCOLATE BARS WITH PEANUTS?
Reply 744
Snickers. I know it's the mainstream answer but I would class this as the closest chocolate bar to being a meal substitue.

Favourite Indian lager?
Reply 745
Kingfisher for real. Cobra is cool etc, but I like the hoppy fruity kingfisher better, it's not as easy to glug down like a madman.

Your fave and why of... SPICY VEGETABLE?
Reply 746
Spicy vegetable has to be spicy peppers in Mexican dishes, because I think the pepper taste manages to carry the spice well while maintaining its own unique flavour well! If you meant already spicy veggies, then chillies, like jalepenos, on nachos.

FAVOURITE SEED TO HAVE IN A FOOD?
Reply 747
That's like the vaguest one yet! Every legume, every bean, nut, cereal... Is a seed!
You're a seed
Reply 749
I sure am, Melissa. Though I plant....

Kisses.
Original post by TotoMimo
I sure am, Melissa. Though I plant....

Kisses.

giggity.
If I had to vote a favourite seed that goes by the namesake of "seed" i'd give it to the mustard seed. Because I like it in dishes a surprising amount given I don't like mustard. And it pops, which is fun. My mum puts it in her curries when she fries onions etc and the smell it gives off is great. And it doesn't have an offensive, stick in your teeth factor.

favourite and why MICROWAVE PUDDINGS
Reply 751
Hm, TOUGHIE. Just one?! Microwave desserts can be SO good. The Syrup Microwave Sponge Pots, because, unlike the apple crumble etc desserts which aren't a touch on the real thing, the syrup sponge has a lovely hot comforting sweet appeal, and it doesn't need any custard or toppings of any sort. They are also a really good size. Jusssst right. :biggrin:

-The 'miniroll and custard' microwave dessert was also DAMN good. Just fyi. Most cakes in the microwave are good. Even colin. Sorry.

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF SWEET MINIBITES?
Got to be the mini-chocolate cornflake bites that you get in the tubs. Marks and Sparks do the best ones! They're so yummy and you can crunch your way through them like no tomorrow. They're a bit more substantial than the cake bites, and remind me of my childhood of making them with my mum.

FAVE and WHY of:

Things with lemon in
Reply 753
I can take or leave most insipid, citric lemon desserts; but LEMON CHEESECAKE is different.

The sweet, salty biscuit base is so rich and the cheese filling so fatty and thick that the sharp acidity is the perfect counter!

Your fave and why of CHOCOLATE BARS WITH CEREAL IN THEM (NOT CEREAL BARS!)
Reply 754
CEREAL BARS RULE. But enough of that...

Chocolate bars with cereal in? I'm not TOTALLY sure I get what ya mean... I'm guessing you mean like Rice Krispies Squares bars and whatnot?
So, I'm gonna go with the WILDLY underrated and somewhat unknown:
3901865803_83a9f7f1df.jpg
RITTER SPORT CORNFLAKES.
They manage to get just the right blend of chocolate to cornflake crunch, with good tasting chocolate. Bravo to you guys, bravo.

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF GREEN AND BLACKS CHOCOLATE VARIETY?
Probably the butterscotch flavour. Because I feel boring going for milk or white, the high percentage dark is better for cooking than straight munching on, and the butterscotch was really pleasant. Milky and high quality as you'd expect with welcome butterscotch notes underneath.

favourite and why of SHARE BAG CRISPS
Reply 756
The red kettle chips. The actual name escapes me but it may be sweet chilli or something, they're like dark red. I find them so moreish and tasty, and have just the right amount of flavour and spice. TASTY. Nandos crisps are a close second.

FAVOURITE LOW CAL DRINK?
Oh you KNOWWWW it's Pepsi Max. Though, sugar free flavoured water is a new love of mine, since the fizzies give me a funny tummy. ASDA Sicilian Lemon, good shout. But it just doesn't get me excited the way pepsi max does. So sweet, amazing ice cold. They also fill you up quite a bit!

favourite and why of foods down the TINNED aisle
Reply 758
Odd choice here but you might concur, Melissa; asda value chicken and veg curry, I have a truly odd love of! Its totally nonspectacular but it's super comfort food, so simple, and 54p!!!

Your fave and why of OWN BRAND CEREAL BARS?
Original post by TotoMimo
Odd choice here but you might concur, Melissa; asda value chicken and veg curry, I have a truly odd love of! Its totally nonspectacular but it's super comfort food, so simple, and 54p!!!

Your fave and why of OWN BRAND CEREAL BARS?

I do concour, I do! The Smart Price one? I eat it kinda in place of tinned soups. Not as a meal itself, but as a snack or something to keep you going. Mild, inoffensive, oddly alluring.

and I like the Tesco chocolate and orange cereal bars. In fairness, WHY? Is probably because I haven't tried many own brand ones from other places. They were on offer once, picked them up, enjoyed them. Usually I'd go brand, as I love my cereal bars I think they're worth paying extra for.

fave and why of fruit? (in all forms, so..fresh, in desserts, in mains)

Quick Reply

Latest