Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never said mine was, you simply assumed that I thought it.

ReputationRep:
    If you accept that your own religion shares these same fundamental flaws, then why are you religious in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    it has more appeal than beleiving we are the result of billions of years of randomness

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. That's my point. You believe it because it appeals to you, because it makes you feel better. Not because it's true.

I prefer to be more honest with myself.

Why cheat yourself?

ReputationRep:
    just as you coose to believe evolution because it means you are not accountable for your actions after you die, almost like a comfort blanket.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make sense. How does accepting the evidence for biological evolutionism make me 'not accountable for [my] actions when [I] die?'

The reason I accept evolution is because there is so much evidence for it, that denying it is just plain ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    religion creates an afterlife, and two places, heaven and hell, if you are bad you go to hell, if you are good you go to heaven, put in simplest terms.

YOu are hiding from that fact, making it so you will not have to account for your actions in the afterlife

ReputationRep:
    lmao.

On that hilarious note, I'm off to bed as it's actually 3:20am over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    religion creates an afterlife, and two places, heaven and hell, if you are bad you go to hell, if you are good you go to heaven, put in simplest terms.

YOu are hiding from that fact, making it so you will not have to account for your actions in the afterlife
    Shocking - ! :rolleyes:

I'm glad my parents brought me up without a religion. I'm happy as a non believer - less restrictions from being me.

ReputationRep:
    then of course you have christenings, how can a baby conciously make a profession of faith, and what guarentee that the god parents will even keep them on the straight and narrow.
    then of course there is the pope.
    The child is not professing any faith, the parents and those present are saying they will bring the child up in a Christian way, then it is the child's decision as to whether it confirms this (hence "confirmation").

Scientists have started to say religion is some innate business in our brains and they did some tests that when the brain was bombarded with certain rays and stuff scientists could induce a religious vision in people. Or I may have dreamt that.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)

Exactly athiests can't sin their entire lives then repent at the last minute and spend eternity in heaven - they're forced to spend their short limited life times doing what they believe is right and good for themselves and their loved ones/society.

There's no hiding behind a higher powers judgement - you have to take on the responsibiltiy of judging your own actions and living with their consequences.

We account for our actions every day in this life without the get-out-clause of an afterlife.

ReputationRep:
    For once me and Gnostic are in total agreement.

Here is a link to a very well written letter by Richard Dawkins, the Oxford scientist and atheist, to his daughter, then aged ten:

http://www.str.com.br/English/Res/reasons.htm

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad he's not my father :P I got bored in the fourth paragraph!

ReputationRep:
    Actually piginapoke you caught me out there. I must have missed the last line when I read his post. I agree with everything else though.

ReputationRep:
    people dont belive in god because there is not enough proof where as evolution has hard evidence and the bible is a book and if you say that the bible tells us of what he did the you are telling me that you belive fairy tales and other mumbo-jumbo.

also all religons say that other religons are wrong so you cant trust any religon.

ReputationRep:
    some people believe in Satan, some in god and some in other spiritial beeings but who can say if they are right or wrong or if they exist or not as you do not find out untill you die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent-Orange)
    people dont belive in god because there is not enough proof where as evolution has hard evidence and the bible is a book and if you say that the bible tells us of what he did the you are telling me that you belive fairy tales and other mumbo-jumbo.

also all religons say that other religons are wrong so you cant trust any religon.
    Even Agnosticism is messed up badly. They say they are uncertain of the existance of a supreme being, but if there is, you may as well worship him, just in case. Sorry, but any god that can be fooled by "just in case" is a god I'd rather not worship. Even if there is a God, I don't think we should worship him. Just look at the state the world is in. That can't be in someones plan can it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Return of Satan)
    some people believe in Satan, some in god and some in other spiritial beeings but who can say if they are right or wrong or if they exist or not as you do not find out untill you die.
    tru its all a matter of faith really

ReputationRep:
    So how can we be sure of most pre-20th centuary history, they are all written in books, in one form or another. For that matter how can we be sure of what we read in the newspapers. Lastly, how can we be sure that origin of species is not fallecy

ReputationRep:
    If everyone goes to the same place when they die I hope it's big or it'll be very busy there. Maybe the afterlife only lasts x years too and you go to a new one.

How silly I sound

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.