Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    some histroy can be proved because of evidence but god has none

ReputationRep:
    How did I guess you would come up with that argument. The documents could have been altered or false, and the tapastry may have just been a decoration. It's not the first time someone may have created an elaborate fiction in a peice of art

ReputationRep:
    They could have been. We know that for centries governments have been using propoganda and censoring to make their people beleive what they want.
    Why not alter history to acheive your own goals. I am not talking about very recent history, because their are survivors which can testify, just pre-1900.
    I know I am going into the realms of an orwellian dystopia, but I am just saying it could be.

ReputationRep:
    I wish 1984 had never been written. People are too impressionable/gullible for such literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I wish 1984 had never been written. People are too
    impressionable/gullible for such literature.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    what is wrong with 1984, it shows how deep dictatorial control can go. At first you control where the people go, just as in korea. Then you control what the people think, just as in korea. Of course you will need supress any insugence, so you take away dissidents for re-educating. And one thing you need to do is make your leaders into a god like icon.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so obviously its looking like the english have their own views from the americans and us Northern Irish. So fair enough!!!!! People who want to believe in God can continue to do so and those who don't fine!!!

If only people would get over their arogance and just read the Bible they would understand more about God!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CUTIE18)
    Ok so obviously its looking like the english have their own views from the americans and us Northern Irish. So fair enough!!!!! People who want to believe in God can continue to do so and those who don't fine!!!

If only people would get over their arogance and just read the Bible they would understand more about God!!!!
    Why should people understand the Christian viewpoint? Why not Islam? Why not Judaism?

People who are trying to tackle with the question of Gods existence must deal with God absent from religion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to read the bible. Doesn't make me arrogant. I'm just not interested and prefer a good John Grisham novel. Is that OK with you?

ReputationRep:
    After visiting this site on numerous occasions i have came up with the conclusion that sooooo many people out there do not believe in God or the Bible!!!!!

Im finding it hard to understand why!!!! People talk about the so called big bang, which never happened!!!!

If you have any queries why not look up "the Bible" on the Internet and read Genesis chapter 1!!!
    BUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLSHH******* **TTTTTT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    So how can we be sure of most pre-20th centuary history, they are all written in books, in one form or another. For that matter how can we be sure of what we read in the newspapers. Lastly, how can we be sure that origin of species is not fallecy
    nothing you say makes sense... lets assume that all historical records are wrong.. THIS WOULD HAVE NO AFFECT ON EVOLUTION AND THE ORIGIN OF MAN.. these theories came from fossils, living beings.. You can't dispute the existence of fossils, they are fact not a subjective written history

ReputationRep:

This comment is ignorant... the reason some people don't believe is due to the stories in the bible. Because I know that when i read the bible i was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sure that that world was created in like a week and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sure that women was made from mans rib and all the other bs about walking on water, water into wine and bs followed by bs then a little more just to make things fun. How can you say the big bang never happened and tell us to read chp of genesis when this book was written 100's of 100's of years ago before technology, before they knew about dinosaurs, b4 they knew the earth was millions of years old and that the universe is continually expanding. I think the bible is a great book but just that a book

ReputationRep:
    All you have managed to do with all your high sounding, trendy and pseudo-scientific arguments, children, is to prove just how very young, inexperienced and out of your depth you are.

You have very little genuine scientific knowledge and I have yet to see any real solid Bible knowledge either! Most of you seem to want nothing more than to prove how clever you are when you are really nothing. Your misinformation proves that wholesale.

The Bible teaches NONE of the following:
    -creation in 6 literal, 24 hour days
    -hellfire and eternal torment
    -immortality of the soul
    -all good people go to heaven
    -the world would end when Jesus was on Earth
    and many more popular myths.

If you are trying to disprove scriptural accounts by using arguments against the above, you are leaning against an open door, (ie wasting your time). If you are trying to use these lines to support the creation model, you are doing it no credit whatsoever (ie wasting your time)!

Not one single human who has ever lived, even the most powerful or the cleverest, had a leg to stand on when it comes to taking on God. You might like to think you are bright, but you've got another think coming....... Dangerous ground, kiddiwinks, dangerous ground!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabeth_rb)
    All you have managed to do with all your high sounding, trendy and pseudo-scientific arguments, children, is to prove just how very young, inexperienced and out of your depth you are.

You have very little genuine scientific knowledge and I have yet to see any real solid Bible knowledge either! Most of you seem to want nothing more than to prove how clever you are when you are really nothing. Your misinformation proves that wholesale.

The Bible teaches NONE of the following:
    -creation in 6 literal, 24 hour days
    -hellfire and eternal torment
    -immortality of the soul
    -all good people go to heaven
    -the world would end when Jesus was on Earth
    and many more popular myths.

If you are trying to disprove scriptural accounts by using arguments against the above, you are leaning against an open door, (ie wasting your time). If you are trying to use these lines to support the creation model, you are doing it no credit whatsoever (ie wasting your time)!

Not one single human who has ever lived, even the most powerful or the cleverest, had a leg to stand on when it comes to taking on God. You might like to think you are bright, but you've got another think coming....... Dangerous ground, kiddiwinks, dangerous ground!

First off, don't talk to people like they are little children because they are probably going to be offended and give you a nice back hand

Second of all I'm not even going to start to talk about the scriptures because anything that proclaims to tell the truth but was written and many different times by many different people is IE a waste of my time... and im not walking on dangerous ground

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    First off, don't talk to people like they are little children because they are probably going to be offended and give you a nice back hand

Second of all I'm not even going to start to talk about the scriptures because anything that proclaims to tell the truth but was written and many different times by many different people is IE a waste of my time... and im not walking on dangerous ground
    You *are* probably children and have very limited knowledge whether you like it or not. We all have limited knowledge, but young people are most likely to fall into this category. Do you know more now than you did when you were 10? Well then....

Your 2nd point - yes, remarkably harmony for a piece of work written by 40 men over 1600 years! No human could even dream of achieving it. That alone makes it worthy of very close examination. Just because humans aren't able to do something, why should that make us think it is impossible? Isn't that rather arrogant? 'If I can't do it, no-one can'? Given the amazing accuracy of Bible history, scientific reference (ie things in the Mosaic Law 1500+ years back that were only 'discovered' by scientists less than 200 years ago...), and prophecy, I would say for a certainty that anyone who considers this amazing book 'a waste of time' is indeed on very slippery ground.

Someone who has actually read it (most people who comment on the Bible have never read it...), and studied it and it's background very closely,

ReputationRep:
    You *are* probably children and have very limited knowledge whether you like it or not. We all have limited knowledge, but young people are most likely to fall into this category. Do you know more now than you did when you were 10? Well then....

Your 2nd point - yes, remarkably harmony for a piece of work written by 40 men over 1600 years! No human could even dream of achieving it. That alone makes it worthy of very close examination. Just because humans aren't able to do something, why should that make us think it is impossible? Isn't that rather arrogant? 'If I can't do it, no-one can'? Given the amazing accuracy of Bible history, scientific reference (ie things in the Mosaic Law 1500+ years back that were only 'discovered' by scientists less than 200 years ago...), and prophecy, I would say for a certainty that anyone who considers this amazing book 'a waste of time' is indeed on very slippery ground.

Someone who has actually read it (most people who comment on the Bible have never read it...), and studied it and it's background very closely,
    I did read it, then burned it and tried to flush the garbage out of my mind. This book was made to manipulate people into fearing the future and to follow the church, and how much good has that got them. And im not on slippery ground once again. I am atheist, I don;t believe that there is a hell, a heaven, a god..... there is nothing in my mind.

Have I told you I want to rule the world and divide it into kingdoms? want one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I did read it, then burned it and tried to flush the garbage out of my mind. This book was made to manipulate people into fearing the future and to follow the church, and how much good has that got them. And im not on slippery ground once again. I am atheist, I don;t believe that there is a hell, a heaven, a god..... there is nothing in my mind.

Have I told you I want to rule the world and divide it into kingdoms? want one?
    Oh you are indeed, but you don't have to acknowledge it. You can deny the existance of the most powerful being in the universe to your heart's content, but it won't keep you alive at Armageddon.

As for the church using the Bible to get control, that kind of amuses me as they were the very ones who tried to stop the Bible beign translated into the language of the everyday people so that they would never know that church doctrine is based almost entirely on mythology, pagan worship and human traditions and not at all on the scriptures. Tell me any church doctrine, and I'll show you the scriptures that tell against it! They can't control people with the scriptures because the Bible exposes them for the total phonies they are.

No, I don't believe in hell either.

Oh, why do the same thing again? The world is already divided into kingdoms!!!!=)

ReputationRep:
    Oh you are indeed, but you don't have to acknowledge it. You can deny the existance of the most powerful being in the universe to your heart's content, but it won't keep you alive at Armageddon.

As for the church using the Bible to get control, that kind of amuses me as they were the very ones who tried to stop the Bible beign translated into the language of the everyday people so that they would never know that church doctrine is based almost entirely on mythology, pagan worship and human traditions and not at all on the scriptures. Tell me any church doctrine, and I'll show you the scriptures that tell against it! They can't control people with the scriptures because the Bible exposes them for the total phonies they are.

No, I don't believe in hell either.

Oh, why do the same thing again? The world is already divided into kingdoms!!!!=)
    Do you believe in the rapture?

ReputationRep:
    scientific reference (ie things in the Mosaic Law 1500+ years back that were only 'discovered' by scientists less than 200 years ago...), and prophecy, I would say for a certainty that anyone who considers this amazing book 'a waste of time' is indeed on very slippery ground.

Yep, all the scientific evidence is there all right. But the Muslims argue that they have scientific basis in the Koran as well.

So what is the "scientific" basis of the Earth then considering it took 6 days to create it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yep, all the scientific evidence is there all right. But the Muslims argue that they have scientific basis in the Koran as well.

So what is the "scientific" basis of the Earth then considering it took 6 days to create it?
    The Koran I can't comment on.

Have a look at Genesis 1 again. The first verse just states that the heavens and the earth were created 'in the beginning', then the 6 creative 'days' start. So, the Bible does not state how long the actual formation of the earth and other bits of the universe took, it just says that it happened.

On the subject of days, you're probably not aware that the Hebrew word translated here as 'day' was a generic term which could refer to periods of time of fixed or indefinite length. It could one mean one 24 hour day, someone's lifetime or even a thousand or more years. What these 'days' represent is just certain segments of the creative works. Part 1, abc, Part 2 def etc. It doesn't really refer to chronological time at all.

Some people say 'oh what rot', but then, they're only thinking that because a) the above doesn't suit them, they *want* to disbelieve it and b) they are forgetting that the Bible was not written in English for Uk residents!!! It was written (at least this part) in Hebrew which is a language totally different to ours. As a graduate in Translation Studies, I can testify to the fact that one langauge rarely completely corresponds to another. Anyway, we use the same sort of thing in English when we say 'In my granfather's day'. We're not talking about 24 hours, but more like 80+ years.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.