The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Oh gawd! Are we still hashing this to death? :rolleyes:
*shakes head and takes a pinch of sage from pouch and seeks enlightenment*
MuniE
Do you believe in the rapture?

No, if you mean all believers suddenly being taken off to heaven. That's another misinterpretation.
Gnostic
The word ‘hell’ is a translation of the Greek ‘Hades’. Hades is a place in Greek mythology where the dead go.

It has a parallel meaning to the Hebrew word - 'she'ol' which simply means the common grave of mankind. The Bible makes it plain that there is no after-life. The going to heaven bit is for a limited number and for a special reason.
Reply 243
elisabeth_rb
The Koran I can't comment on.

Have a look at Genesis 1 again. The first verse just states that the heavens and the earth were created 'in the beginning', then the 6 creative 'days' start. So, the Bible does not state how long the actual formation of the earth and other bits of the universe took, it just says that it happened.

On the subject of days, you're probably not aware that the Hebrew word translated here as 'day' was a generic term which could refer to periods of time of fixed or indefinite length. It could one mean one 24 hour day, someone's lifetime or even a thousand or more years. What these 'days' represent is just certain segments of the creative works. Part 1, abc, Part 2 def etc. It doesn't really refer to chronological time at all.

Some people say 'oh what rot', but then, they're only thinking that because a) the above doesn't suit them, they *want* to disbelieve it and b) they are forgetting that the Bible was not written in English for Uk residents!!! It was written (at least this part) in Hebrew which is a language totally different to ours. As a graduate in Translation Studies, I can testify to the fact that one langauge rarely completely corresponds to another. Anyway, we use the same sort of thing in English when we say 'In my granfather's day'. We're not talking about 24 hours, but more like 80+ years.

Well, I was given this book about how the Koran was so accucuate with science etc, and according to the book it didi make a pretty good reasoning of it, much more than the Bible I have to admit.

I have heard the "ages" argument before, but lets be reasonable here, you can either believe in your faith, or choose to reject it. And no amount of argument will budge the "faithful". eg they can argue that the Earth was created in 6 days, BUT it was created so that it would LOOK as if it was x millions of years old. With a full complement of dinosaur bones thrown in for free. And noone, can argue otherwise.

Either believe it or not. Its their opinion.
Gnostic
Are you anti-Roman Catholic by any chance?

Not especially. Just anti-non-scriptural beliefs!!!=)
Well, I was given this book about how the Koran was so accucuate with science etc, and according to the book it didi make a pretty good reasoning of it, much more than the Bible I have to admit.

I have heard the "ages" argument before, but lets be reasonable here, you can either believe in your faith, or choose to reject it. And no amount of argument will budge the "faithful". eg they can argue that the Earth was created in 6 days, BUT it was created so that it would LOOK as if it was x millions of years old. With a full complement of dinosaur bones thrown in for free. And noone, can argue otherwise.

Either believe it or not. Its their opinion.

Hmm, you obviously did not carefully read what I wrote. As I said the Bible does NOT say the Earth itself was created in 6 days. Try again....
Reply 246
elisabeth_rb
Not especially. Just anti-non-scriptural beliefs!!!=)

did you major in theology or something?
Reply 247
elisabeth_rb
Hmm, you obviously did not carefully read what I wrote. As I said the Bible does NOT say the Earth itself was created in 6 days. Try again....

And neither was I using the word DAY as in the common sence. Try again.
MuniE
did you major in theology or something?

No, I did Modern Chinese Studies at BA(Hons) and have a PG Dip in Applied Translation Studies. You would never learn this much on a theology course - mostly based on traditions and so on.
Reply 249
Gnostic
I get it - you're Seventh Day Adventist, or Jehovah's Witness, right?

But, yes, sheol is the Hebrew version of hades - the mythological underworld where the dead go. It is symbolic of those who are asleep in their somatic subconscious; but it is a weapon of terror in the hands of the evangelicals.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JEHOVAH"S WITNESS????????? AHHHHHHHH you people scare me. and ANNOY THE CRAP OUT OF ME... I DON'T WANT YOUR PAMPHLETS ...
Gnostic
I get it - you're Seventh Day Adventist, or Jehovah's Witness, right?

But, yes, sheol is the Hebrew version of hades - the mythological underworld where the dead go. It is symbolic of those who are asleep in their somatic subconscious; but it is a weapon of terror in the hands of the evangelicals.

Why is a weapon? Seems like a better alternative than hellfire!!! It's a symbollic concept anyway and just refers to the state of being dead, ie non-existant.
MuniE
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JEHOVAH"S WITNESS????????? AHHHHHHHH you people scare me. and ANNOY THE CRAP OUT OF ME... I DON'T WANT YOUR PAMPHLETS ...

Scare you, why? A few minutes ago you had nothing to be scared of!!!
Reply 252
MuniE

LOL, I swear they stake out my house and just wait until I come out the frount door, then they swoop in for the kill. What part of "thanks but I'm really not interested." do they not understand? Or I get the question " What Faith are you?" Then the disaproving and pitiful looks that follow my answer and this comment "we will pray for your soul child." Please spare me.
Gnostic
But are you a Jehovah's Witness or a Seventh Day Adventist?

I am a Witness, yes.

Oh, on the theology major, I just remembered that I did a Masters level essay on Bible translation.=) Good fun that one, narrowly missed a distinction!!=)

Man, it drives you mad when you have to try and post 30 times as the server is too busy..... Make that 50 by now
And neither was I using the word DAY as in the common sence. Try again.

Ie in the common English usage. How very narrow minded!
Infinity
this comment "we will pray for your soul child." Please spare me.

The next time I hear *any* Witness say that will be the first, and I know literally hundreds all across the northern hemisphere!
Reply 256
elisabeth_rb

Says the person that believe in Christainity, and does not know of the science of the Koran.
Reply 257
elisabeth_rb

So if you got sick would you just pray and accept "gods decision".. or would you do the smart and logical thing and go to the hospital
Gnostic
Have you noticed that their pamphlets are littered with Soviet-style images of happy JWs (Jehovah's Witnesses), all grinning etc? :smile:

Unbelievable as it may seem, there are some people who actually are happy! Next time you meet a Witness, (maybe there's one in your class), ask him or her.
Reply 259
MuniE
So if you got sick would you just pray and accept "gods decision".. or would you do the smart and logical thing and go to the hospital

Don't be stupid, she is a devout believer. How else is she going to get better? She is after all broad minded... :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending