Why do people now adays not believe in God and the BIBLE!?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why is the "word of god" so important to people who have no proof of his existance. I exist, and my word's not that important. Seems backwards to me.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Why is the "word of god" so important to people who have no proof of his existance. I exist, and my word's not that important. Seems backwards to me.
Are you sure you exist?

Besides, the 'word of god' is important to people because they have faith, and also alot of the things said in the bible regardless of the relgion are good princples to live your life around.

What have you said? Nothing of much value.
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From The Atheist Dictionary

Santa Claus
An imaginary super-being assumed by theists not to exist, despite the fact that his attributes are more believable than the God that they assume does exist.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Thats society for you.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From the Atheist Dictionary

Atheist
Someone who believes in one less god than Christians and other monotheistic cults.

And then they moan at christians for having silly beliefs...
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Are you sure you exist?

Besides, the 'word of god' is important to people because they have faith, and also alot of the things said in the bible regardless of the relgion are good princples to live your life around.

What have you said? Nothing of much value.
Thats a good, theres a positive aspect to religion in that it does usually provide its followers a good set of principles to abide by.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
I still wouldn't believe you existed even if you gave me your word. The only thing I can be sure of is my own existence, why should I treat God any differently? Not only do I have less evidence, I have none.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
I still wouldn't believe you existed even if you gave me your word. The only thing I can be sure of is my own existence, why should I treat God any differently? Not only do I have less evidence, I have none.
Well I would beg to differ.

A language works on rules in which it will be understood, i.e the meaning of specific words and how they go together/relate. If we had a private language (the one a solopist would have) there would be no checkablity and no rules to govern the language. And that means that the language does not fufill all the criteria because the rules are not checkable which means there are no rules so the language breaks down.
elisabeth_rb
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CUTIE18)
After visiting this site on numerous occasions i have came up with the conclusion that sooooo many people out there do not believe in God or the Bible!!!!!

Im finding it hard to understand why!!!! People talk about the so called big bang, which never happened!!!!

If you have any queries why not look up "the Bible" on the Internet and read Genesis chapter 1!!!
The reasons many people don't believe are:
They've been taught that only 'science' has the answers and, despite the fact that science fluffs it on a regular basis, in the quest to appear scientific, people will side with evolutionists.
Religions have behaved so appallingly badly that people think, 'if that's all they can offer, forget it!'
They are often only given one side of the story at school and the creation line is ridiculed without being properly understood. See next sections!

You should be aware though, that the creation account does not rule out the possibility of the Big Bang. The first verse gives no information as to *how* the universe was created, just that it was. In fact, the Big Bang idea seems sound from both sides of the equation. The point of difference lies really in the cause of the Bang. The law of cause and effect states that there must have been a cause that set off this Big Bang and the creation model states that that cause must have been God. To those with enough faith to believe in evolutionary theory, (you need it to accept that the amazing ddiversity of life and all the rest of the universe came about by pure chance and random accidents), this is unacceptable and they assign no cause or person behind the Big Bang.

Another reason many reject the creation model is that they don't know that the Hebrew word translated as 'day' in Genesis 1 meant a period of time and could also be used to refer to thousands of years. Actualyl, we do something similar in English when we say 'In Shakespeare's day' or something like that. We aren't talking about 24 hours, we're talking about many years. Also, Gen 1 makes it clear that the creative days started after the creation of the universe including the actual Earth so there's a lot of ignorance about as to the real meaning behind the creation account and so on.

Feel free to send me a private message etc if you want more info!

hugs,
Ronnie Raygun
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Bible states that in the "end times" less and less people will put their faith in Jesus Christ......
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elisabeth_rb)
You should be aware though, that the creation account does not rule out the possibility of the Big Bang. The first verse gives no information as to *how* the universe was created, just that it was. In fact, the Big Bang idea seems sound from both sides of the equation. The point of difference lies really in the cause of the Bang. The law of cause and effect states that there must have been a cause that set off this Big Bang and the creation model states that that cause must have been God. To those with enough faith to believe in evolutionary theory, (you need it to accept that the amazing ddiversity of life and all the rest of the universe came about by pure chance and random accidents), this is unacceptable and they assign no cause or person behind the Big Bang
You seem to be assuming that there must be a first cause, there are a few arguments that argue that a first cause is not nesscary, also some cutting edge physics has produced some research that is suggesting 'Nothing can come from Nothing'.

Also, you ignore the fact the universe could be infinite.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
what i don't understand is why people seem to think that 'evidence' is the only way of knowing something?! Faith, in terms of epistemology, is a perfectly valid unit of understanding, just like logic, perception and trust. Personally i feel that it is ridiculous to dismiss science, but it is just as ridiculous to dismiss the supernatural. They CAN go together you know.
If that principle were applied as you put it then anything anyone can imagine or propose would by that logic have to be considered as possible. If that were true, then were I to write a book today contradicting scientific theories and even religious propositions, then as we do not require evidence for something to be valid, my book must be equally as valid as any other, all religious books included. If it is equally valid, then can you explain the validity of the faithful choosing to ignore that hypothetical book and accept their own?
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After visiting this site on numerous occasions i have came up with the conclusion that sooooo many people out there do not believe in God or the Bible!!!!!

Im finding it hard to understand why!!!! People talk about the so called big bang, which never happened!!!!

If you have any queries why not look up "the Bible" on the Internet and read Genesis chapter 1!!!
because the life of Brian showed the true meaning of how it all came into being
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I find it hard to understand how you can be soooooooo assertive in your belief that the big bang never happened...please don't tell me God made the earth in 6 days a few 1000 years ago and on the seventh, sat on a cloud with a pint...
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Well I would beg to differ.

A language works on rules in which it will be understood, i.e the meaning of specific words and how they go together/relate. If we had a private language (the one a solopist would have) there would be no checkablity and no rules to govern the language. And that means that the language does not fufill all the criteria because the rules are not checkable which means there are no rules so the language breaks down.
Are you suggesting that it would be impossible to create a set of rules for every language in the world that I encounter? This would be about 5 different languages in total, plus I could make them up as I go along, since the whole universe is a figment of my imagination.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
God is dead - Neitzsche

God was nothing more than an out of date hypothesis invented for the purpose of crushing the working class into submission and allowing the ruling class to justify their position.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The worst (and funniest) arguments are those based on 'evidence' from the Bible, when it is actually the Bible that we are questioning!
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
God is dead - Neitzsche

God was nothing more than an out of date hypothesis invented for the purpose of crushing the working class into submission and allowing the ruling class to justify their position.
hmmm....the red force is strong in this one :rolleyes:
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Are you suggesting that it would be impossible to create a set of rules for every language in the world that I encounter? This would be about 5 different languages in total, plus I could make them up as I go along, since the whole universe is a figment of my imagination.
You have missed the point entirely. But, my explaination was poor...i suggest you read up on Wittengstien's Private language argument.

I am saying, that a private language is not possible because the critiea that create a language would not be fufiflled i.e that it is governed by rules. If rules are not able to be checked ( you are only one who exists) then they cannot be rules. Since a language requires rules and them to be checkable for it to function ANY private language is not possible.

Gnostic may be able to give a better explaination...?
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
God is dead - Neitzsche

Are you a coal miner then?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads