The Student Room Group

Staying within the Time Limit? Any tips?

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I have exactly the same problem with my Edexcel Religious Studies Paper 1 :/ Help?
Keep doing past papers, but giving yourself exactly the ammount of time you'd have in the exam. You'll improve. Oh, and also, look back at the scripts you took too much time on and see how you could cut them down (you're probably expaining too much)

Also, when you're actually doing the exam, the adrenaline will help. In the run up to my last history exam I was going over the time limit by about half an hour. In the exam, I finished early.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
As mentioned earlier, I would say keep practising papers within the given time limit. That way, you are able to get the right amount of information and finish the exam too :smile: (Plus you find that when you are in the exam hall, you tend to have adrenaline working with you :tongue:)
Reply 4
One of the things which can cause this problem is not being sure about what to write and what to not write in a long answer question. The only way to know this is through revising the mark schemes of past papers and noting what points have been given marks. Another thing which could be done is to write a proper answer to every question without going into much details and try to finish the paper. After that, go back to the questions which you can elaborate on and finish it (put a mark next to the question number to note it). The best thing as I said earlier is to study the mark schemes and being familiar with the type of answer required. Good Luck
Have a look at the total number of marks and compare it to the time allowed (minutes) for the whole exam. Work out how much time you have per mark and practise doing individual questions in the set time. In my History GCSE we were told to double the mark then -2 and that's how much time you can spend on a question, so a 4 mark question would have 6 minutes. In economics this year it's 1 mark/minute, a 12 mark question is 12 minutes.
Practise practise practise and practise!
Lots of practise.

I always answer the questions I know really well first. So I can then take my time on the others I don't know so well.
Reply 8
Yeh, the same as everyone else, practise and you'll get faster. There's not really any other way :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending