The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes of course you can get into univerity without GCSE's (provided you have done something equivalent to A levels), many international students apply to British universities without GCSE's (:
Reply 2
You have a reason for having no GCSEs so it will be fine. If yoou had no GCSEs because you've failed them all it would be different, but you didn't. You should be able to list your equivalent qualifications on your UCAS form.
Reply 3
yes but the thing is i tried getting my gcse equivalent marks converted into grades but they refused!!:frown: soo im a bit worried as some1 told me i'd have to take a gap year and do at least maths and english gcse's!!
Reply 4
Original post by anixa019
yes but the thing is i tried getting my gcse equivalent marks converted into grades but they refused!!:frown: soo im a bit worried as some1 told me i'd have to take a gap year and do at least maths and english gcse's!!

like the person above said, you only need GCSEs if you're from UK, Im assuming you took some sort of graded exams before you got A levels, like at the end of school? Unis wont expect you to have taken exams that dont exist in your country - iv got a chinese friend in my flat who hasnt got gcses but he took a similar thing - im sure theres an option when you apply, or else you could try ringing/emailing the department or uni entry office and finding out what you need to do. Whoever told you to do a gap year is a moron.
Reply 5
Well basically like i said i did the equivalents!! and i did ring up a couple of uni's and they told me that they PREFERED having gcse's...which i guess means they want me to do gcse's!!
Well basically like i said i did the equivalents!! and i did ring up a couple of uni's and they told me that they PREFERED having gcse's...which i guess means they want me to do gcse's!!

There is a world of difference between wanting something and preferring something.

What are your equivalents?
Reply 7
The question really that should be asked is as above what are your equivilents and where you got them from.
Reply 8
oh im from pakistan and the equivalents r matric!!
Reply 9
Original post by Hippysnake
There is a world of difference between wanting something and preferring something.

What are your equivalents?

the thing is that when a uni says they prefer something, it somehow or other means that they want that!!
the thing is that when a uni says they prefer something, it somehow or other means that they want that!!

Well first of all, ZINDABAD!

Secondly, I have a cousin who came over from Pakistan with metric (10?) and unfortunately he did need to go Maths and English at GCSE to get onto his course.

Try clarifying with the Universities you wish to apply too exactly what it is they're looking for.
Reply 11
Original post by Hippysnake
Well first of all, ZINDABAD!

Secondly, I have a cousin who came over from Pakistan with metric (10?) and unfortunately he did need to go Maths and English at GCSE to get onto his course.

Try clarifying with the Universities you wish to apply too exactly what it is they're looking for.

hmm yes matric is 10!!
did u'r cousin take a gap yr?
yeah, took Maths and English GCSE at a local college.
Reply 13
hell! the thing is i dnt want to waste a whole yr just for two gcse's!!
Enter the GCSE Summer Exams now?
Reply 15
Original post by HotfireLegend
Enter the GCSE Summer Exams now?

whats the GCSE summer exams?
whats the GCSE summer exams?

The... Summer Exams you take for GCSE. The only problem with this is that the exams are modular, (as you take them throughout the year) but if you are able to enter for all of them in the Summer, then you should be able to get the GCSES.
Reply 17
The... Summer Exams you take for GCSE. The only problem with this is that the exams are modular, (as you take them throughout the year) but if you are able to enter for all of them in the Summer, then you should be able to get the GCSES.

What about coursework?
Original post by Juno
What about coursework?

You don't get any in Maths. As for english, doesn't it depend on the exact board you use? For mine, I had to do some essays and speeches. If this proves to be the case, then a gap might be advisable. Pick up some more GCSEs while you're at it?
Reply 19
You don't get any in Maths. As for english, doesn't it depend on the exact board you use? For mine, I had to do some essays and speeches. If this proves to be the case, then a gap might be advisable. Pick up some more GCSEs while you're at it?

If my grades are like really good would the uni's accept me?? (without GCSE's)
If not then i suppose theres no other choice then to take a gap year!!:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending