Greatest medical advancement in the last 50 years? Watch

chemistrylover123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What do you think is the greatest medical advancement in the last 50 years?
kog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stem Cells!!

Although I'm a bit biased, as im doing a piece of research on them for Welsh Bacc
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say scanning systems like CT, MRI, PET.
chemistrylover123
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by kog)
Stem Cells!!

Although I'm a bit biased, as im doing a piece of research on them for Welsh Bacc

(Original post by thegodofgod)
Any reasons why you chose those?
Selecao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Someone's got an interview then? Lol

Are you choosing a medical topic for it then?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stem cell isn't really 100% a day to day thing

last 100 years it;s antibiotics,

last 50 years it's either defibrillation ( ok slightly more than 50 years ago) CT scanning or ' the golden hour' and permissive hypotensive resuscitation
hoonosewot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Probably this. Also, the refinement of laparoscopic (keyhole) surgical techniques have got to be up there, though i think they were actually invented a while before that.

Also, if we include public health advancements as well as technological stuff then the anti-smoking campaigns and disease eradication campaigns (eg smallpox and polio) have probably saved the most lives.

In the last 10 years, maybe the HPV vaccine or genetic testing.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kog)
Stem Cells!!

Not really a medical advancement which has resulted in significant population-wide benefits (yet) imho.

I'd go for improved public health campaigns.
rudyrabbit
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say the mapping of the human genome as it opens countless doors
machines
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, meningitis, pneumonia, chicken pox, hep a, hep b.

Imaging and minimally invasive surgery. Transplant surgery.

Antibiotics. Antivirals.

Notice how relatively few people in the world have access to many of these things.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If we include medical science, then maybe knockout mice? The research leading from that has greatly increased our understanding of many many diseases.
DonaldGlover
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All them vaccinations we get now for polio etc. Also, medical advancements in surgery have improved vastly.

The main thing for me though I think would be the number of drugs available on the market now that decrease the need for surgery.
Peptic ulcers used to be treated through surgery and now we can use cimetidine to relieve symptoms!
Blorcyn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rising standards in food production/reduction of malnourishment, I'd say. ORT and nutritional supplements - GM food and the like, and if you say that's not a medical advancement then Dod
RowingGoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Heart transplant
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Not really a medical advancement which has resulted in significant population-wide benefits (yet) imho.

I'd go for improved public health campaigns.
As boring as the answer is I'd have to go for this. In terms of lives saved I'd probably go for the green revolution in agriculture and the impact it had on malnourishment, though hardly a "medical" advancement.
Hippokrates
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say MRI/ CT scans but correct diagnostic rates haven't increased since they were brought in so I'd say transplants.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great question!

Personally the ability for transplantation of organs from either a live donor or not as the case maybe. It saves the lives of 1000's world wide every year!!

However this wouldn't be possible without the huge developments in MRI, CT, blood culturing, antibiotics, anti viral's, anti-emetics, chemotherapy, the list goes on!!

I'm biased but there you go!!
Dizzy94
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Penicillin? Steroids?
Millyshyn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're all been great. I've got to agree with the poster that said mapping of the human genome though!
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Public health campaigns, antibiotics, antipsychotics and minimally invasive surgery would probably be my answers.

(Original post by kog)
Stem Cells!!

Undoubtedly they will become important soon, but at the current stage fo development, they certainly can't be heralded as the greatest advancement.

(Original post by rudyrabbit)
I would say the mapping of the human genome as it opens countless doors
(Original post by Millyshyn)
They're all been great. I've got to agree with the poster that said mapping of the human genome though!
To be honest, we were expecting the human genome project to solve all the questions we had about health and disease, but very, very few questions have been answered, and probably just as many new ones have been asked. Little in the way of medical breakthrough has come from this.

(Original post by nexttime)
If we include medical science, then maybe knockout mice? The research leading from that has greatly increased our understanding of many many diseases.
This is a very smart answer! We couldn't have come to the understanding of disease we have today without transgenic models.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.37%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (113)
14.3%

Watched Threads