This discussion is closed.
sportsman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I recently posted a thread to find out whether anyone had got an offer for economics from both Oxbridge and Warwick. I have not found a single person yet. Having also scanned other Economics at Warwick related threads, I think there is considerable evidence to suggest they are discriminating against people with Oxbridge offers. This really isn't fair and anyway I thought they weren't allowed to know what offers you've got. I know people say Unis can guess whether you got into Oxbridge, but I'm sure they can't be that accurate. Do you think Warwick should be allowed to discriminate against people with Oxbridge offers?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sportsman)
I thought they weren't allowed to know what offers you've got.?
They don't.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought they weren't allowed to know what offers you've got.
All unis used to be able to see which other unis yo'd applied to and the offers or decision that had already been given...this was up till a coupla years ago...now they can't see the status of any other applications to unis....so i doubt they're discriminating against ppl with oxbridge offers.

G
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I recently posted a thread to find out whether anyone had got an offer for economics from both Oxbridge and Warwick. I have not found a single person yet. Having also scanned other Economics at Warwick related threads, I think there is considerable evidence to suggest they are discriminating against people with Oxbridge offers. This really isn't fair and anyway I thought they weren't allowed to know what offers you've got. I know people say Unis can guess whether you got into Oxbridge, but I'm sure they can't be that accurate. Do you think Warwick should be allowed to discriminate against people with Oxbridge offers?
From what you have said, I do not think there is considerable evidence at all. Just cos you have not found anybody holding offers from both on this board, does not mean these people do not exist. I would imagine that not all economics applicants to Oxbridge and Warwick are aware of, or logged into this board.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why has this been posted twice? Anyway you can see my reply on the other post but the short story is last year I got offers from both Oxford and Warwick.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

These allegations can get silly. They don't even know where else you have applied. As for the even greater absurdity that universities like Bristol, Warwick, LSE, Notts, IC etc would try and somehow identify the 'typical Oxbridge candidate' and in turn reject such people, that's hilarious! They'd have to reject almost everybody that applies to them! The average grades at each of these universities are very similar to Oxbridge, it's inevitable that there are going to be cases of Oxbridge acceptance and rejection from other exceptionally competitive uni/courses!
jumahumour
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know that Bristol dicriminates against oxford law applicants, because everyone who applied for law at oxford and got rejected also got rejected from bristol on the same day.

Its too much of a coincidence - they blatently discriminate
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jumahumour)
I know that Bristol dicriminates against oxford law applicants, because everyone who applied for law at oxford and got rejected also got rejected from bristol on the same day.

How many people would that be then?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

A mate of mine is now at Bristol readinglaw and he applied to Oxford as well :confused:
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

It's not blatent my any means, far from it. It's probably just all in your head. You cannot reach a safe conclusion on this through a few odd cases, whether or not it occurs I do not know-ask them!

I'm wondering what the difference is in a/v A level grades for Oxford Law as compared with Bristol. The difference is likely to be something like 0.5 of an A level point or something similar. Between many law schools and Oxbridge, the difference in A level standard is less than a single grade. Now, that's such a small difference, isn't it inevitable that a number of students every year will be rejected by Bristol and accepted by Oxford? It's just simple, the two universities receive applications from students that are very similar in calbre, almost identical, I think it's quite safe to assume that at times their assessement of them is likely to differ-after all it's a subjective decision.
jumahumour
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
How many people would that be then?

About 20-25 from my college; no one got in to read law at bristol if they had applied to oxbridge. Bristol even admitted it to my principal when he complained; they said that Bristol is equally as good as oxbridge and therefore they want to be ppls first choice. But if you apply to oxbridge, obviously that will be your first choice. It happened a bit with durham too.
winorloose
Report 16 years ago
About 20-25 from my college; no one got in to read law at bristol if they had applied to oxbridge. Bristol even admitted it to my principal when he complained; they said that Bristol is equally as good as oxbridge and therefore they want to be ppls first choice. But if you apply to oxbridge, obviously that will be your first choice. It happened a bit with durham too.
But then again, I know two guys who got into both Oxford and Bristol for engineering. Its not a hard and fast rule, though I got a rejection from Durham and Bristol. You can argue it both ways.
Krisstina
Report 16 years ago
Apparantly, Oxbridge actually publish lists of who they accept, so the chances of getting in to any other top universities is slim to none!
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Krisstina)
Apparantly, Oxbridge actually publish lists of who they accept, so the chances of getting in to any other top universities is slim to none!
Can we clarify the difference between Oxbridge offers and acceptances?

Offers are made conditional on achieving required grades.

Acceptances are given once those grades (or very near misses) are achieved.

Cambridge does publish the numbers (not the names) of those they ACCEPT each year on their website under 'news' and then 'reporters'.

Saying that the chances of getting into any other top universities is slim to none is not really a fact is it?

Unless a uni blatantly asks an applicant (which they are not permitted to do under UCAS rules) they have no way of being absolutely sure that the applicant has applied to Oxbridge. Even if they did know - there is no guarantee that the applicant will receive an offer from Oxbridge so they could be shooting themselves in the foot by using this as a reason not the make an offer themselves.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
of course the other unis can guess if you applied to oxbridge because your application will be in before october the 15th or whenever the date is but you must bear in mind that only about a third of people who apply to oxbridge get in so it would be stupid for them not to make offers. I applied to cambridge and 5 other good unis and got offers from everywhere. As have many other people on this site.

MB
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (19)
39.58%
Take autumn exams (18)
37.5%
Look for a job (1)
2.08%
Consider an apprenticeship (1)
2.08%
Take a year out (6)
12.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
6.25%

Watched Threads