The Student Room Group

AQA spec A - which anxiety disorder should I do?

Due to twists of fate (which seem to love happening) my Psychology teaching has yet again fallen upon myself. My main teacher gone, I'm now plagued by student teachers who are perfectly nice but seem to like reading directly from the textbook - something that I could do at home and have done, producing better notes by using more applicable extracts. Anywayz, all thats left to do now is depression and an anxiety disorder (with two issues yet to do in a different class!). So, was just wondering which disorder I should choose? I'm leaning towards OCD but phobias I've heard are the easiest to learn. What do people think?

Also, how much of the AQA syllabus have you completed in your school? Have you finished yet? Should I be kicking up my self-teaching a lot?
Reply 1
i think you'll have better luck in here mate:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211

regards
--marty
Reply 2
xavier2k3
i think you'll have better luck in here mate:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211

regards
--marty

I considered that but the last time I posted a question in that forum I got a total reply of 0. I think more Psych people check this forum so I put it here to hopefully get more replies
Reply 3
we r no where near finishing the sylabus!!! weve just started module 5. my new psych teacher is abolsutely ****e!! so dont fret.. i dont think your behind and if you are, well.. im more behind! good luck xxxx
Reply 4
Phobias are definitely the easiest- for the causes you can talk about conditioning (the little albert study etc), the symptoms are basically physiology-based, and for treatments there's flooding, desensitisation blah blah...That's what i did at A-level- it's all very classic theory. So if you want a safe, fairly straightforward topic, go for phobias.

OCD would be much more challenging...the causes are more complex, and there's less classic studies on it. It's a much more interesting topic though! It's a question of whether you want safe & boring or hard & interesting!
Reply 5
I think I might go with phobias then as it crosses over with aspects of behaviour and psychodynamic (my two aspects for approaches questions). It will lessen the work load if some studies are double wammys etc so yeah I'll go for it.

I'd like to do OCD but there's so much this time round I don't wanna just go for the interesting one if it'll cost my achievement. SX and depression are interesting anyway so suppose it'll balance it. And I can always read about OCD if ever I wanted to in future
Reply 6
We're doing phobias at my college and don't worry we're not that far through the specification.

So far we've done reductionism, free will and determinism and have just started nature/nurture.
With regard to Psychopathology we've done schizophrenia and half of depression and are yet to start phobias.

I wouldn't worry about being behind, you have plenty of time til the exam :smile:

Latest