Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Yes, that's normal too. But what I mean is, saying supper isn't outlandishly posh or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Though tea refers to an earlier meal, while supper refers to a later one, I thought.

ReputationRep:
    would one like a cup of earl grey before retiring to ones chambers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    would one like a cup of earl grey before retiring to ones chambers?
    Is that an offer of your hoop?

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink tea

I would say, breakfast, lunch, tea, and then supper is something as a light snack before bed. Dinner would be on a Sunday

ReputationRep:
    oh, one doesn't drink tea?

(i don't drink it either har har)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    (i don't drink it either har har)
    I believe the correct pronunciation is "Fnar fnar"

ReputationRep:
    I drink tea. I love tea. Especially earl grey. Coffee wins hands down however, when out and about.

ReputationRep:
    the word 'tea' is incorrect.

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/forum/arch...php/t-308.html

If you are talking about your main meal of the day then it is called 'dinner'.

When has anyone ever said 'im taking my girlfriend on a romantic, candle lit 'tea' tomorrw' ITS DINNER OMG OMG

In this order

Breakfast (7)
    Brunch (11)
    Lunch (12-2)
    Tea/High tea (3-5)
    Dinner (7)
    Supper (8-9)
    the word tea in the dictionary has nothing to do with eating, only drinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    All my housemates think i'm posh; im from Nottingham and they are from Leeds and Wigan.

I would say duvet, they would say quilt, I would say twitchel, they would say ginnel. How does this make me posh!? I really don't understand!

Someone enlighten me please
    I say duvet and twitchel and I like to think of myself as posh (though I am not really)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    I say duvet and twitchel and I like to think of myself as posh (though I am not really)
    hehe, yes you are. You're a big butch Austrian farmer with 50 wine cellars and 5 wives...

ReputationRep:
    Quilt sounds posher than duvet.

According to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, posh means Port Out Starboard Home. Although this is apparently untrue in real life...

And there's nothing wrong with calling the third meal of the day tea. Even if tea is properly supposed to be about 4-5ish. I normally eat at 5-6, so it's too early to be dinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poser)
    Breakfast (7)
    Brunch (11)
    Lunch (12-2)
    Tea/High tea (3-5)
    Dinner (7)
    Supper (8-9)
    Well **** me, I've probably never eaten breakfast by that definition.

Unfortunately I have to spend the time before I head down t'mill licking road clean wi'tongue... or I'm still in bed. Either/or.

[edited to remove blatent moderator arseishness]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    hehe, yes you are. You're a big butch Austrian farmer with 50 wine cellars and 5 wives...
    um... ja!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poser)

When has anyone ever said 'im taking my girlfriend on a romantic, candle lit 'tea' tomorrw' ITS DINNER OMG OMG

Actually, high tea is eating and drinking. It's a light snack in the afternoon to keep you going. It often consists of tea (the beverage), and pastries/bread-type foods - scones with clotted cream, small sandwiches, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Devon during term time so Devon cream teas galore
    And there's nothing wrong with being posh :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poser)

Who cares whether tea is only defined as drinking in the dictionary? Up where I am from tea is the meal you have in the evening and everyone knows it as tea.

OP: I wouldn't say you are posh it's just different people from different places have different words for the same things.

One of my housemates is from Cheltenham and pronouces things with a Southern accent which I would say sounds "posher" than the way I pronouce words but posh really depends on class.

ReputationRep:
    For me it's it's normal to say breakfast, lunch and dinner on weekdays and saturdays, and breakfast, lunch/dinner and tea on sundays. And I wouldn't say I was posh at all, despite being from the south!

ReputationRep:
    It's just different dialects.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you call lunch dinner, you are clearly working class.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.