Does this sound 'posh'? Watch

Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Handy)
Basically, if you call lunch dinner, you are clearly working class.
But so what? :mad:
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yah. Super. Thanks ever so much. Sitting room. PLU darling
Esquire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"one doesn't have to be posh to be privilaged *fnar fnar, snort*"
unless u talk like this you don't have to be worried. I say breakfast, dinner then tea. However, I have my tea later in the evening and most people would call this supper or dinner. I always thought evening dinner was like *going out to dinner, daaarling*, and that supper was like a glass of milk and a few hobnobs before you go to sleep. We need Bilbo Baggins for the definitive definition. One thing I don't know is the difference between elevenses and brunch.
speedstacker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kittennffc)
All my housemates think i'm posh; im from Nottingham and they are from Leeds and Wigan.

I would say duvet, they would say quilt, I would say twitchel, they would say ginnel. How does this make me posh!? I really don't understand!

Someone enlighten me please
It's ok , you are normal.
If they still think you are posh, be happy to be posh. It's something you should be proud of and not ashame of.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pixikicks)
Haha. Yes, that's normal too. But what I mean is, saying supper isn't outlandishly posh or anything.
No, it's not. I think it's more common in the south though. I usually say dinner, but my family must say supper because when I was little I always used to say "Seeyouatsuppertime" to my dad when he went out to work and I used to panic if he went and I hadn't said it. I was a strange child.
poser
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Lets just face it, your main meal of the day is called DINNER - i dont give a **** what TIME you say you eat things, they are just rough guides. My dinner could be at 11 at night. Aslong as it was the main meal i had that day its officially called ginner.

and if you disagree, shut up becuase you are wrong.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mmm, ginner. My favourite meal/drink combo
KPeh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by poser)
Lets just face it, your main meal of the day is called DINNER - i dont give a **** what TIME you say you eat things, they are just rough guides. My dinner could be at 11 at night. Aslong as it was the main meal i had that day its officially called ginner.

and if you disagree, shut up becuase you are wrong.
Don't be silly, it's just regional variation.
pixikicks
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Esquire)
One thing I don't know is the difference between elevenses and brunch.

Brunch is an actual meal, taken between breakfast and lunch, and taken instead of those two meals.

Elevenses is a snack.
pixikicks
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Firebird)
Great. Except...working class doesn't really exist any more. Unless you are referring to chavs, which aren't necessarily a class but more of a style.

What an incredibly naive statement.
Handy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pixikicks)
Brunch is an actual meal, taken between breakfast and lunch, and taken instead of those two meals.

Elevenses is a snack.
Don't be silly.

Brunch is in addition to breakfast and lunch.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:rolleyes:
Sephrenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
breakfast, lunch, dinner/tea depending on how I feel...
Katy200
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no it does nt sound like your posher than other people, i think Northen people have different words. I have the same thing when i go to Midlands to see my cousin he thinks im common.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Er. Since when has saying 'tea' instead of 'dinner' for the evening meal being a feature of northern dialects?

I've always said 'dinner' and so has everyone in my family, whereas the guy at the end of my corridor from Surrey always says 'tea'.

It's more down to how you've been brought up in your family to say it, rather than regional variation...
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I say quilt instead of duvet but then I say quiche instead of flan. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never really say supper unless it's something like soup at like 8-9pm.

would one like a cup of earl grey before retiring to ones chambers?
Assam and English breakfast are much better.
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh this is fun! people arguing over breakfast and lunch and brunch.. i mean, it doesn't get much better than this... except maybe in the movies.
jovialtom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i guess you're comparatively posh.
Showsni
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I say quilt instead of duvet but then I say quiche instead of flan. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never really say supper unless it's something like soup at like 8-9pm.

Assam and English breakfast are much better.
Flan? Who ever says flan? Unless their talking about a flan pastry base, or a cheese flan or something... But never when referring to quiches.

Breakfast, Brunch, Elevenses, Luch, Afternoon tea, High tea, Dinner, Supper.

Although I just have Breakfast, Luch and Tea. And just Brunch and Tea at weekends, because of my college only serving those meals... And generally, I sleep in and miss Breakfast and Brunch. Thus making lunch the new breakfast on weekdays, and tea the new breakfast on weekends.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lol, we're still arguing over this two terms in- it's breakfast, dinner, tea. If you have dinner in the evening, to me that means a formal dinner party or going out for a romantic dinner or something. Cue lots of confusion for the poor international students!

OP, you're not posh- quilt and duvet are interchangable as far as I'm concerned! And I'm definitely not posh...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads