Removing the radio Watch

AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My mate crashed his Fiesta and it is a right off so he wants me to remove the radio and speakers.

How do you remove without the special tool? It is a decent Panasonic unit so it needs to be salvaged.
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's VERY difficult and might lead to damage removing the uni without special tools... I advice he gets the removal tools off a mate or off ebay or a car radio shop
snmichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it the type that have the 2 slots on the sides? If so, anything you can find that is thin and long enough to slide down the sides will work.

I recently used some long plastic spoons from some ice cream place. Broke off the spoon part is it was just the handle. Ground down the thin end so that it was just thin enough to fit in there, stuck them in as far as I could get them, then pulled out the headunit.

I'm not sure about other types, but you might need the key. If you go up to any well equipped garage or auto-audio shop, and just ask if they'll pull it out for you. They shouldn't really charge you if they're cool, takes 2 seconds.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most of them are the ones that use the "long thin tool"...
It's a risk to use anything else IMO just because they might break in the slot..
stevoboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most of the tools are either a metal rod or a thin flat bit of metal. For the rod type ones an old knitting needle did the trick (e.g. renault). The flat metal ones you can make from an offcut of sheet metal (e.g. sony). Can't remember exactly but the size you need is something like 30mm long 5mm wide and maybe 1mm thick. You should be able to see the slot it has to fit into and make the dimensions accordingly, and as it is an aftermarket unit I think it will be this type rather than the rod type. If your'e really stuck and want to have some fun you could have a go at cutting the dash away from around the radio mount frame and lift it out in one piece, then free it from the carrier when you can get at it, but you should easily be able to shape a tool up with the grinder to do it.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Assuming it is 4 holes on the front (pretty typical):

Coat hanger wire, undo it, make two U shaped tools with the two prongs being a similar width to the holes on the CD player, push in on both sides a few inches or two and pull out CD player...
AT82
Rep:
?
The car is a right off, the last journey it will ever make is to the scrap yard.

How much is the special tool? It is a standard radio fitting, not unique fit.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dunno how much the special tool is.. Maybe you should try the above suggestions; .i.e. the "flat thin piece of metal tool" ones
AT82
Rep:
?
So I am right in thiking I just need somthing to insert into the pins and then once I have that pull the unit forward?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What radio is it?
AT82
Rep:
?
It is a Panasonic head unit with a single CD unit, it is about 8 months old. I don't know the model but is probably an entry level unit.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok take a look at these in terms of wha tyou need to make:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...rclo=&saprchi=
stevoboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
So I am right in thiking I just need somthing to insert into the pins and then once I have that pull the unit forward?
Yeh - push the tool in until you feel resistance as it touches the latch inside, then wiggle the unit about and it should come out. From the ebay auction it looks as though its the flat bit of metal type rather than rod type. A bit of sheet metal cut to the right kind of size should work. I found one of those computer blanking plates you get in the expansion card slots to be a useful point to start from. Just grind/cut the the kinked bit off the end and trim the width of it down until its just slightly narrower than the slot.
AT82
Rep:
?
Shame I destroyed all my cutting discs in the CD-PC project
JayEm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it a factory fitted head unit or an after market installation? If its not factory fitted, all you have to do is basically pull it out and disconnect the ISO connector, any cd changer/amplifier cables and the aerial at the back. You might be able to push it forward from behind the centre console. Pretty straight forward. You only need the special tools if you're trying to remove a factory fitted system.
AT82
Rep:
?
It is not factory fitted, as I said it is a K Reg Fiesta and the CD player is 8 months old .

But surely you need a tool to pull it forward even if it is not factory fitted?
JayEm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, with all head units, there's a black plastic surround to make the fitting look neat. You can easily pull that off. Then all you have to do is get a good grip of the head unit itself (easy if you've got small fingers) and literally pull it out. Then as I said, disconnect the cables. If its been fitted properly, you just have to unplug all the connections, no cutting of wires or anything. If its been done DIY, the cables may have been spliced, cellotaped, you know what I mean. In that case, just cut all the wires keeping them as long as you can.
AT82
Rep:
?
It is a DIY job because was no ISO in the car, it is wired using ternimal block, that is no problem though.

I shall give it a go without the tools then thanks.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JayEm)
No, with all head units, there's a black plastic surround to make the fitting look neat. You can easily pull that off. Then all you have to do is get a good grip of the head unit itself (easy if you've got small fingers) and literally pull it out. Then as I said, disconnect the cables. If its been fitted properly, you just have to unplug all the connections, no cutting of wires or anything. If its been done DIY, the cables may have been spliced, cellotaped, you know what I mean. In that case, just cut all the wires keeping them as long as you can.
Don't listen to this. I dunno who told you this. Maybe you were able to do this if the headunit was not installed properly the last time. ALL aftermarket headunits use special removal keys.

In your case, you probably didn't bend the tabs on the cage outward, so that it grips into your dash. I've done the same thing on purpose because I'm always pulling out my headunit for something and I lose the keys sometimes. But the cage has little metal tabs that you bend out into the dash, this keeps it from being removed by hand and by criminals.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
Don't listen to this. I dunno who told you this. Maybe you were able to do this if the headunit was not installed properly the last time. ALL aftermarket headunits use special removal keys.

In your case, you probably didn't bend the tabs on the cage outward, so that it grips into your dash. I've done the same thing on purpose because I'm always pulling out my headunit for something and I lose the keys sometimes. But the cage has little metal tabs that you bend out into the dash, this keeps it from being removed by hand and by criminals.
I was going to say this but didn't know how to explain it properly. Indeed, if your head unit is properly installed, with an ISO (or manufacturer's) cage, then it shouldn't just pull out - else any ****er who smashes your car window could just pull out your head unit and unplug it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads