AEAs are they worth doing??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
bOdOING2
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I wanna apply for med at either cam, ox or som other good uni. and i read on the prospectus that they encourage ppl to do AEAs (Ive never heard of AEAs b4 that). Wot are they? And Are they worth doing (Are there any students here who done them?)? Cos I think my school dosnt offer anything like that.

Does it make a difference to the application??

Thanx ppl
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It isn't supposed to be possible to be taught specifically for AEAs, they are supposed to be just a more challenging exam based on A-level knowledge, and thus you can simply be entered for them if you ask your examinations officer. If you are applying post-A-level then having distinctions at AEA should help, but I don't really see that it would help that much for those applying pre-A-level as I believe that they are very rarely included in offers.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hopefully i will take a AEA in History and then study History at CAmbridge. would it be adisable to include this in my PS because then they may base my offer on getting a merit or distinction in the AEA??
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
An AEA would count as a qualification, so I would assume you list it in the qualifications section rather than in your PS. I think it's unlikely many unis will make any offers based on AEAs as they are still very new, though if you want the best opinion ring up the admissions office and ask.

There is another thread on AEAs where me and others have answered a few basic questions which you may finds useful.
Dystopian
Report 16 years ago
I'm taking an English AEA, and the premise is, I get shoved various novels each week by my English teacher, and sit around in a group with three guys, discussing poetry, prose, and such like. Quite interesting with three seventeen year old guys, and little me, when sexual poems come up... I turn a variety of colours at their descriptions... It's not offered to everyone, Mr Burnett selects people from his classes, and other classes who are above A-level standard in his opinion, and who are enthusiastic about English. I keep getting told not to constantly cross-ref my classics tragedy stuff to English. :-(

But it's fun, despite qualifications, and hell, if you enjoy the subject, it allows you to discuss it at a higher level .Go for it.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm a medical school applicant (still undergoing my uni application/interviews etc.) and I didn't mention AEAs at all on my UCAS form and I don't think it makes a big difference (if any at all) to your application. There's nothing wrong with taking them but other than gaining a personal achievement I doubt you will have any advantage over other applicants. Plus, I would rather not mention it on the UCAS form than risk Oxbridge (namely Cambridge, I haven't heard yet of any Oxford applicant who has received an offer including an AEA grade) including the need for a merit/distinction as part of an offer.

So I would say there's not really much point considering it before your application. It could possibly help afterwards - say if you fail to meet your AAA offer but get a distinction in an AEA, you are more likely to keep your place. If your school doesn't offer them, I wouldn't make the effort to take them elsewhere.
bOdOING2
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanx ppl!

So am i rite to assume that u would start AEAs (and do the exam) in A2 anyways, and it would be the same syllbus but with a harder exam? So there would be no point worrying about it during As??
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I'm a medical school applicant (still undergoing my uni application/interviews etc.) and I didn't mention AEAs at all on my UCAS form and I don't think it makes a big difference (if any at all) to your application. There's nothing wrong with taking them but other than gaining a personal achievement I doubt you will have any advantage over other applicants. Plus, I would rather not mention it on the UCAS form than risk Oxbridge (namely Cambridge, I haven't heard yet of any Oxford applicant who has received an offer including an AEA grade) including the need for a merit/distinction as part of an offer.

So I would say there's not really much point considering it before your application. It could possibly help afterwards - say if you fail to meet your AAA offer but get a distinction in an AEA, you are more likely to keep your place. If your school doesn't offer them, I wouldn't make the effort to take them elsewhere.
Good point Lucy about success in AEA aiding acceptance if you fail to achieve your offer. However, there is another side to this observation, namely, if you narrowly miss your A level grades AND fail your AEA it may tilt the chances against you more so than if you didn't take the AEA in the first place.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought about doing the latin AEA last year but I was told it was pretty pointless, and after all I think it was a 3 hour exam, OUCH!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
So there would be no point worrying about it during As??
Yep, just concentrate on your AS exams for now
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Good point Lucy about success in AEA aiding acceptance if you fail to achieve your offer. However, there is another side to this observation, namely, if you narrowly miss your A level grades AND fail your AEA it may tilt the chances against you more so than if you didn't take the AEA in the first place.

I've heard a rumour, which I am not sure is true........but it is that if you miss getting an A in that subject, they will not even bother marking your AEA paper! :eek:
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
I've heard a rumour, which I am not sure is true........but it is that if you miss getting an A in that subject, they will not even bother marking your AEA paper! :eek:

Can't be true! What if your AEA and A level are with different exam boards? Only one exam board seems to offer each subject at AEA - they'd have no idea whether or not you'd even passed your A level, surely!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not true. I know someone who only got a C in A Level history but got a distinction in the AEA.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
It's not true. I know someone who only got a C in A Level history but got a distinction in the AEA.
You can't be awarded a merit or distinction in an AEA of a subject, having failed that subject at A2.

Ben
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OK, but you certainly don't have to get an A.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
OK, but you certainly don't have to get an A.
Nope. You just have to pass.

Ben
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing an AEA in maths this summer, I'm basically doing it to strengthen my UCAS application - does any one know whether you HAVE to declare it though? Because I obviously don't wanna declare it if I get a FAIL..........
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
I'm doing an AEA in maths this summer, I'm basically doing it to strengthen my UCAS application - does any one know whether you HAVE to declare it though? Because I obviously don't wanna declare it if I get a FAIL..........
If you have already submitted your UCAS application it should have been listed as one of the exams you are going to be entered for.
If you are entered for it, it will show up on the UCAS database which is available to those unis who are your firm and insurance choices.
However, if you fail to achieve a merit or a distinction you will not get a certificate and will not have to mention that you took it in any future application forms etc.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
If you have already submitted your UCAS application it should have been listed as one of the exams you are going to be entered for.
If you are entered for it, it will show up on the UCAS database which is available to those unis who are your firm and insurance choices.
However, if you fail to achieve a merit or a distinction you will not get a certificate and will not have to mention that you took it in any future application forms etc.
Haven't yet applied to uni, I'm in year 12. So, if I did fail, I wouldn't have to write it on UCAS?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
Haven't yet applied to uni, I'm in year 12. So, if I did fail, I wouldn't have to write it on UCAS?
Gosh - that's a hard one! I haven't asked appropriate exam boards about the scenario of taking AEA's in Year 12!! You mish be a bright spark
From my understanding, as an unclassified result (fail) is not certificated it's as though it hasn't been taken. But I would check out if that's the case with your UCAS application because that one asks for details of ALL exams taken,(during secondary level schooling) even things like grade on piano.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (3)
5.77%
Confident (7)
13.46%
Indifferent (5)
9.62%
Unsure (10)
19.23%
Worried (27)
51.92%

Watched Threads