Watch
This discussion is closed.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Gosh - that's a hard one! I haven't asked appropriate exam boards about the scenario of taking AEA's in Year 12!! You mish be a bright spark
From my understanding, as an unclassified result (fail) is not certificated it's as though it hasn't been taken. But I would check out if that's the case with your UCAS application because that one asks for details of ALL exams taken,(during secondary level schooling) even things like grade on piano.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
no worries at all, I shall write and ask UCAS!
bOdOING2
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanx ppl!

I jus thought of a couple more questions:
The AEAs, are they based on the what you learn over the AS and A level years, so they cover 6 modules? I.e. If i wanted to take an AEA in maths or histor, I have have to have finished the two year course before I could do it?
So if this is the case, most people would have to take it in the second year then?
Also are there only 1 AEA paper for each subject (e.g. maths/physics)?(as there are 6 A level papers (1 for each modual))

Also, and Katie Heskins: How do you do triple maths?? I thought you could only do 2??

Thanx for the help!
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hiya,

yeah there's just one paper for AEA (certainly for maths anyway!). And yes its just based on the 6 modules you learn at A level. (Again just alking about maths don't know about anything else!) But I don't think you have to learn anything additional. There are syllabuses you can get hold of. Have a look on the Edexcel website it'll be there no doubt.
Triple maths=maths, further maths and further maths additional. Total of 18 modules including 5 specific modules.
butterflew
Report 16 years ago
i don't know whether you're interested in english, but as far as i can tell, it's skill based rather than text/ fact based. wasn't based on my english texts at all.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
Hiya,

yeah there's just one paper for AEA (certainly for maths anyway!). And yes its just based on the 6 modules you learn at A level. (Again just alking about maths don't know about anything else!) But I don't think you have to learn anything additional. There are syllabuses you can get hold of. Have a look on the Edexcel website it'll be there no doubt.
Triple maths=maths, further maths and further maths additional. Total of 18 modules including 5 specific modules.
For maths, it's be all P1-3 because that's the only material that's core to all A-Level maths sylabusses.
chrisbphd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
I wanna apply for med at either cam, ox or som other good uni. and i read on the prospectus that they encourage ppl to do AEAs (Ive never heard of AEAs b4 that). Wot are they? And Are they worth doing (Are there any students here who done them?)? Cos I think my school dosnt offer anything like that.

Does it make a difference to the application??

Thanx ppl
It doesn't make an awful lot of difference to the application, but you can end up with them as an alternative offer, so they are worth doing! Fun too.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did an AEA in Critical Thinking last year, while we were doing the AS too. This was because we were our teacher's pet group of students and she was one of the examiners - insider knowledge! Our pass rate was way above the rest of the country as everyone else seems to just get entered into the exams without any teaching, and getting a good grade is all down to exam technique for this.

Maybe for other subjects the AEA requires a bit more effort, but this was quite easy. Anyway it wasn't that much extra work, just more in depth of what we were already doing with the fun 3 hour exam at the end of it. I don't think the unis I applied to took much notice - the offer for Cardiff here was still just AAB. I got my distinction and another pretty line on my certificates though!
Dystopian
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
Thanx ppl!

I jus thought of a couple more questions:
The AEAs, are they based on the what you learn over the AS and A level years, so they cover 6 modules? I.e. If i wanted to take an AEA in maths or histor, I have have to have finished the two year course before I could do it?
So if this is the case, most people would have to take it in the second year then?
Also are there only 1 AEA paper for each subject (e.g. maths/physics)?(as there are 6 A level papers (1 for each modual))

Also, and Katie Heskins: How do you do triple maths?? I thought you could only do 2??

Thanx for the help!
Well... in ours, we're in yr 12, and we'll take the exam in yr 13. It's nothing to do with set texts, it's all practical criticism, which is actually what Cambridge encourages. Basically, it's learning *how* to look at a text, and pick out reactions to it, style, metre, the expression and so on. In the exam, I've heard, they hand you texts you havent necessarily looked at, and you can analysise them based on your skills.

I *think* I'm right... note, I'm not brilliant at this advice-giving...
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dystopian)
I'm taking an English AEA, and the premise is, I get shoved various novels each week by my English teacher, and sit around in a group with three guys, discussing poetry, prose, and such like. Quite interesting with three seventeen year old guys, and little me, when sexual poems come up... I turn a variety of colours at their descriptions... It's not offered to everyone, Mr Burnett selects people from his classes, and other classes who are above A-level standard in his opinion, and who are enthusiastic about English. I keep getting told not to constantly cross-ref my classics tragedy stuff to English. :-(

But it's fun, despite qualifications, and hell, if you enjoy the subject, it allows you to discuss it at a higher level .Go for it.
I wouldn't worry too much about studying for the AEA. I did absolutely nothing for it, and i got a distinction.

Extra reading can't hurt...

I think the AEA is a great idea, and more people should take it....
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
don't know that it is just like p1-3!!! I was looking at specimen papers on the edexcel website and they looked kinda hard ish!
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Quite a few people got entered for the Biology AEA at our college, but didn't get any extra teaching. Most of them failed it See what sort of support your school/college is going to give for it.
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ummm...
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Anyone know where to get information about the pass rate for AEA?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I think 50% get a merit and about 20% get a distinction.

You're not supposed to need any extra teaching... we didn't get any!
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you know the exam board that set the AEA you can check last summer's results on their website.
I have just checked Execel's for Maths (I guess this is the one you are interested in) and their results were:
Distinction = 9.8% Merit = 24.8% (cumulative totals) MALE

Distinction = 9.4% Merit = 16.2% FEMALE

And Madnatsci is correct - they require no extra preparation. But I believe they are based on the 12 modules in Maths/Further Maths as they are intended for the top 10% of maths students.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ogs)
don't know that it is just like p1-3!!! I was looking at specimen papers on the edexcel website and they looked kinda hard ish!
And Madnatsci is correct - they require no extra preparation. But I believe they are based on the 12 modules in Maths/Further Maths as they are intended for the top 10% of maths students.
No, definitely P1-3 only. They are intended for the top maths students, but this includes single maths students. As the only common content for all courses is the stuff in these three modules, that's all it's based on. (Maths A-Levels being of course P1,P2,P3 & almost any other collection of modules up to 24 or so.)

It likely helps to have done 12 (or 18 or whatever) modules instead of just 6 simply because of the extra practice you get, but the content isn't beyond P3.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Zaphod)
No, definitely P1-3 only. They are intended for the top maths students, but this includes single maths students. As the only common content for all courses is the stuff in these three modules, that's all it's based on. (Maths A-Levels being of course P1,P2,P3 & almost any other collection of modules up to 24 or so.)

It likely helps to have done 12 (or 18 or whatever) modules instead of just 6 simply because of the extra practice you get, but the content isn't beyond P3.
I have just checked with edexcels website again and it confirms that Maths AEA's are based on pure modules although it doesn't specify they are taken from P1-3. In fact it says the content is the same as content of pure maths from any syllabus so it's not clear at all that it is P1-3 because what's in, say P3, on edexcel isn't necessarily the same on OCR for example.
It's a depressing statistic that over 60% of those who took the exam got unclassified, despite it been designed for the top 10%. What percentage of the entire maths student population would 24.8% of the top 10% be - all you maths experts?
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I have just checked with edexcels website again and it confirms that Maths AEA's are based on pure modules although it doesn't specify they are taken from P1-3. In fact it says the content is the same as content of pure maths from any syllabus so it's not clear at all that it is P1-3 because what's in, say P3, on edexcel isn't necessarily the same on OCR for example.
It's a depressing statistic that over 60% of those who took the exam got unclassified, despite it been designed for the top 10%. What percentage of the entire maths student population would 24.8% of the top 10% be - all you maths experts?
I'd guess about 2.48%

You're right that exact content varies between exam boards, but all core content for A-Level Maths is contained within P1-3* for all boards. There might be content in P1-3 of a particular syllabus that isn't examined in AEA but nevertheless all content examined by AEA will come from P1-3, whatever the board. This is necessary for the qualification to be accessible to all A-Level single maths candidates.

* I believe this is P1,P2 and 'Methods' for some syllabuses but the principle is the same.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (2)
7.41%
Confident (4)
14.81%
Indifferent (1)
3.7%
Unsure (7)
25.93%
Worried (13)
48.15%

Watched Threads