The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A nuclear weapon has the power to whipe out a whole city of it's children. Very rarely does a gun kill a child, let alone so many.

I'm inclined therefore to go with nuclear weapons, but a gun can be just as dangerous if used at a certain time against a particular person, say a religious or political leader...
More people have guns than have nukes. Duh. So the toss-up is between the reality of a very large number of small tragedies, and the possibility of one global one. I can't actually decide, so I haven't voted.
Reply 3
Agent Smith
More people have guns than have nukes. Duh. So the toss-up is between the reality of a very large number of small tragedies, and the possibility of one global one. I can't actually decide, so I haven't voted.

Well theres a difference between gangsters getting killed in a shootout, and dropping a nuclear bomb over a school...
Reply 4
Guns can b used for a long time n can b kept concealed. U juz need enuf bullets 2 wipe out all d elements u dnt like...whereas nukes r 4 1 time use...no 2nd chance...u gota kno wer u want 2 use it+de r xpensive...few can afford 2 use it...thus guns r more dangerous.
Beekeeper
Well theres a difference between gangsters getting killed in a shootout, and dropping a nuclear bomb over a school...
I know there is; that was precisely my point. The difference is that one is a localised tragedy that DOES happen, on a regular basis, while the other is a cataclysm that MIGHT happen. The question is whether the possible biggie outweighs the definite smallies.

DISCLAIMER: I don't mean to belittle gun crime, by the way, by saying "smallie". It's a relative term. Obviously gun-related deaths are tragedies.
Reply 6
me thinks nukes, by a long shot.
Reply 7
Beekeeper

Or, Columbine High School?
Reply 8
Nox11
Guns can b used for a long time n can b kept concealed. U juz need enuf bullets 2 wipe out all d elements u dnt like...whereas nukes r 4 1 time use...no 2nd chance...u gota kno wer u want 2 use it+de r xpensive...few can afford 2 use it...thus guns r more dangerous.

Your IP should be logged and banned for typing like that. l0$3r
Rusty33
Doesn't alter the numbers question, though, does it? You CAN kill many more people with a nuke, but guns DO kill more people in practice. I see that "might vs. does" dichotomy as the crux of the debate.
Rusty33

You're comparing the destruction of dropping a nuclear warhead over a city to Columbine?

As awful as Columbine was, this is a silly and unnecessary comparison.
Reply 11
Agent Smith
Doesn't alter the numbers question, though, does it? You CAN kill many more people with a nuke, but guns DO kill more people in practice. I see that "might vs. does" dichotomy as the crux of the debate.

Beekeeper
You're comparing the destruction of dropping a nuclear warhead over a city to Columbine?

As awful as Columbine was, this is a silly and unnecessary comparison.

No. I am saying that guns that kill people aren't restricted to gangsters.
As Ethan Hawke says in 'Lord of War'
Keeping track of nuclear arsenals, you'd think that critical to world security, well it's not. 9 out of 10 war victims today are killed with assault rifles and other small arms.... Those nuclear weapons, they sit in their silos. The AK47, that is the real weapon of mass destrution.
Interesting, but I wouldn't cite a film quote as authoritative. And anyway, we haven't had a rogue nuke yet (as far as I know), so we don't know whether that is true.
Just for once I'd like to see a 3 hour documentary on where guns have managed to protect people in their own homes. Seems like the only way to put balance into the media.
Reply 15
AlphaNumeric
As Ethan Hawke says in 'Lord of War'

Was about to post the same thing!:biggrin:
Reply 16
Guns. Mutually Assured Distruction has actually kept us a lot safer than we otherwise would've been.

Imagine a gun was like a bee sting and the person who fired one was assured of killing himself too... it'd cut the problems down to size a bit.
Agent Smith
Interesting, but I wouldn't cite a film quote as authoritative.
The writer researched a lot for the film, and even without that, I'd still say it's pretty accurate. Tanks and planes don't do the main killing, they are more for building destruction. Most people are shot.
Reply 18
The only thing more dangerous than the two is roundhouse kick to the face, delivered by Chuck Norris.

But seriously, I think the two are incompatible for comparison. It's like comparing Mike Tyson to the military power of America - just because both will bite your ear off doesn't mean you can necessarily compare them. Ah.
Well, I consider nuclear weapons more dangerous in that they are typically deployed without the victims having any idea until vaporization. However, with guns, the shooter is typically within sight, so most people will at least have the possibility of fleeing.

Latest

Trending

Trending