The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree. I think it depends entirely on the child.
My mother was able to tell my sister 'don't do that' and she would obey.
I, however, was a bit more rebellious and would kick up a fuss. I think that giving me a gentle whack was probably the only way to get through to me, and it never did me any harm.
Of course there will always be parents who abuse the system, but this percentage is small.
Reply 2
I dont agree with parents hitting kids. If you have to keep hitting your child, its obviously not working.
Though, I don't think a smack on the hand should be illegal.
Hitting you child is no good. My mum did that with me :confused:

You know what it did? Taught me that if you want to get something done, hit someone.
Or, it’s ok for someone that loves you to hurt you :frown:
Reply 4
A controlled smack on the back of the legs is perfectly acceptable IMO.
Reply 5
the only thing getting smacked taught me was that my dad was scary. made me resent my parents as well, particularly when i hadnt really done anything wrong. actually, looking back, i can't remember the lessons i learnt from it, or even what i'd done, it just makes me feel sad.

shouldnt be done.
It taught me not to stick my fingers in plugs. It was either that or a powerful elecric shock.
Reply 7
To be honest, it just made me think that my parents didn't love me any more. I still sort of resent them for it, because being physically frightened of your own parents is a horrible feeling as a child and totally unnecessary for me because I always responded to being told off.
Reply 8
I think you should be able to hit your kids if they misbehave. Sometimes the only think people will listen to is a good smack, i was smacked when i was little and i turned out fine! Disicpline is whats missing in this generations children they're all turning out weaklings
Reply 9
as long as it aint to hard or violent.
Reply 10
This "I resent my parents because of it" mentality is what I hate most about our generation.

You are educated. You presumably don't break laws. You are a decent person. They did something right.

And, I don't think people who aren't parents can fairly assess this topic. Especially adolescence.
Rusty33
This "I resent my parents because of it" mentality is what I hate most about our generation.

You are educated. You presumably don't break laws. You are a decent person. They did something right.

And, I don't think people who aren't parents can fairly assess this topic. Especially adolescence.

I agree, though for the record, there is a difference between hitting and beating your children.
Reply 12
DanGrover
I agree, though for the record, there is a difference between hitting and beating your children.

Oh, I agree 100%.
Rusty33

My mum never hits my younger sister and she's turned out much more well behaved than me.
Reply 14
bluedreamer
My mum never hits my younger sister and she's turned out much more well behaved than me.

The fact that you can acknowledge that and that you see a distinction between commonly accepted "right and wrong" implies that you were capable of making choices that you could see a distinction in difference. That would imply that your mother instilled good values in you, but that you opted not to induce them for whatever other reason. One that was presumably an outside force; IE peer pressure, monetary advancement, etc

Simply put: Your Mom taught your right from wrong. You just chose not to exercise your better judgement. That's just part of growing up.
Reply 15
If she's more well-behaved than you, chances are she started out that way and never needed a smack in the first place.
I was never smacked and I turned out fine. I do not for a moment think smacking is necessary; I consider it lazy parenting. That said, people should have the right to smack their children if that is their desire.
Reply 17
Sophistress
I was never smacked and I turned out fine. I do not for a moment think smacking is necessary; I consider it lazy parenting. That said, people should have the right to smack their children if that is their desire.

Are you a parent?
There are LOADS of other ways to let a child know he has done somin wrong! Therefor I think Violence should never be used against a child! It is not a gd example towards a kid!

thx ChocolatePie
Rusty33
Are you a parent?

No, but I have parents. Parents who never smacked me.

Latest

Trending

Trending