Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    No, but I have parents. Parents who never smacked me.
    That's what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Right. So what's the problem? Presumably the majority of posters on this forum don't have children. Except you?

ReputationRep:
    I remember my mum smacking me when I was five cos I couldnt say my 4 times tables - which never helped me . I think smacking should be limited to a certain age group. I would use smacking only as a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    I was smacked when I did something wrong, but it was never, don't do that *whack*. I was given fair warning, didn't listen, then was smacked. And I learnt to listen when I was told, so I didn't have to get smacked again.

And I've grown up with out mental scarring, hating my parents or anyting else.:p:

That said, obvioulsy when parents start taking it too far and causing bruises or stuff on numerous occasions, then it's a problem that ought to be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    I think the point is, Sophistress, that you can't say 'smacking is wrong' until you've had children and had to deal with them.
    In an ideal world I would like to say I will never have to smack my future kids, but I can accept, due to the way that I was brought up, and knowing what kids can be like, that it may well have to come to that one day.
    Most children that are smacked do not emerge from it scarred for life.
    As I said before, there are a few that abuse the system, but they are so few that they can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than with the government trying to police the entire population's parenting skills.
    Psycho Gerbil - I agree.
    Da Mouse - that's quite sad. My parents only tended to use it as a last resort too, not as a regular form of control, and that's how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Right. So what's the problem? Presumably the majority of posters on this forum don't have children. Except you?
    No. I don't. But, like I said before, until we do, I don't think we can fairly assess the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I think the point is, Sophistress, that you can't say 'smacking is wrong' until you've had children and had to deal with them.
    Right. But my parents never smacked, so why would I?

ReputationRep:
    You are not your parents - they way they parented you is not the way that you will necessarily act as a parent, and none of us can tell how good we will be as parents until it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Right. But my parents never smacked, so why would I?
    Assuming that your parents raised you the "right" way.

Then, one could argue that all parents and all kids are different, and so should be raised different.

Which would mean that until you have your own unique kids and you are your own unique parent, you can't possibly know what is right or wrong until you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    You are not your parents - they way they parented you is not the way that you will necessarily act as a parent, and none of us can tell how good we will be as parents until it happens.

Of course having fantastic parents doesn't necessarily mean I will in turn be a fantastic parent, but why wouldn't I try to emulate their parenting skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    Assuming that your parents raised you the "right" way.

Then, one could argue that all parents and all kids are different, and so should be raised different.

Which would mean that until you have your own unique kids and you are your own unique parent, you can't possibly know what is right or wrong until you get there.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I think that a smack wouldn't break the law, but a slap would... I can't remember what counted as illegal, as it was reported last year...

Anyhows, through my experiences of having younger family members, smacking doesn't help. I don't agree with smacking a child because it could teach them to smack other children who they mix with. I've actually found that this happens with my young cousins.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am a parent and never smack my son nor will I and as several have mentioned here, it impossible to guess at what you might do as a parent. Hitting your child is wrong and is not needed in my experience, but that is not to say you will never feel like it and of course there will be times when you feel completely out of control, but the bottom line is that it is not necessary to smack your child to get the desired results.

ReputationRep:
    I remember being smacked once. I was about 5 and from what I remember I was being a right cnut.

I think my Mum said she only ever smacked me about 3 times when I was being a real pain in the ass. At least when I did get smacked I knew I was fecking up big time.

I expect i'd smack my kids in some circumstances. I'd personally prefer to electrocute them.

ReputationRep:
    I was smacked as a child, it was the common method of punishment after being shouted at. It hasn't scarred me mentally or anything like that, and I think it did make me behave better - it's not so much the pain (the pain of a proportionate smack is minimal) - but the symbolism, that you've driven your parent to this. It's more a mental punishment, embarrassing the child and making them feel guilt.

I've no problem with proportionate smacking, though obviously different parents have different parental techniques. If you don't wish to smack your child, that's cool.

Well, there's a lot of good points out here.

I think as has been said, it's a case of circumstances, sometimes it would be better to smack them if they haven't responded to shouting and or locking them in their room (like I know a friends Aunt did to her kid). Obviously it is a last resort and no self respecting parent would ever really hurt their child. Only really bad parents keep hitting their children until it borders and becomes beatings and severe physical pain. I presume when I'm older I will smack my children if they are a right pain in the ass. That said, if they are like me and really don't like being shouted at, then they won't need to be smacked at all. It's just, little kids can be so stubborn and annoying, parents obviously get driven up the wall.

And I can't really grasp how anyone can resent their parents unless they were really abusive. Even a small child can understand why they've been smacked enough not to complain about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Should this be illegal or not?
    Absolutely not. Lack of discipline and respect is bad enough in our society as it is without further hamstringing parents. Bring back corporal punishment as well.

ReputationRep:
    I should like to think I could bring my children up to be obedient enough not to be smacked. However, I am also a realist and have no desire to be a smug mummy. I was smacked and by god did I learn. I didn't hate my parents for hitting me, because afterwards they explained what I had done wrong and why it was bad and there was hugs and cuddles. I know, l la Supernanny, you can do this without smakcs. I was just a revolting child who IMO bloody deserved a smack for being a little ****. God knows why my parents had more. But I turned out alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    I was smacked as a child, it was the common method of punishment after being shouted at. It hasn't scarred me mentally or anything like that, and I think it did make me behave better - it's not so much the pain (the pain of a proportionate smack is minimal) - but the symbolism, that you've driven your parent to this. It's more a mental punishment, embarrassing the child and making them feel guilt.

I've no problem with proportionate smacking, though obviously different parents have different parental techniques. If you don't wish to smack your child, that's cool.
    I think that sums up my views nicely. I was smacked several times when I was a child, and it wasn't so much the physical pain, but the feeling I got from it - I understood that I must have been really bad to have driven my parents to hit me. I think it helped also because my parents always followed up a smacking with an explanation of what I had done wrong, and assuring me that they were only doing that because they love me, not because they hate me. Usually, it ended in me crying, saying sorry and no resentment afterwards.

As to whether I will hit my own child, that will depend on the individual circumstances, and what kind of discipline I will impose on my children. I can't generalise and say that "I won't/will smack my child", because until it happens I won't know what is right or wrong. On the other hand, I think it is wrong to make smacking illegal; it's private business within the family and every family's standards will be different. Anyway, how would you measure what smacking is, or how severe the punishment is? What is reasonable force for one family could be abuse for another.

ReputationRep:
    I remember one of the first times I was smacked (it was my Dad) I sulked in the corner all teary. My Mum left me for a few minutes and then came over - she was obviously on my Dad's side, but she suggested that I ought to go and apologise to my Dad. After a while I did, and he gave me a cuddle and said that he loved me and I knew I'd done something wrong / been rude.

Now of course they would never hit me, but even when we occasionally argue, we both know that within half an hour one of us (and usually both of us) will apologise and make up.

I was smacked when I was completely unreasonable - and I've never ever doubted my parents love for me - it is the strongest thing I know.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.