12lightf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Sadsnail)
Oh okay cool! We haven't called it ethical theory and we don't use a textbook haha That's why I got confused. Do you think you can get away with not learning religion + morality???
Well... I'm not going to haha. They can't put religion + morality in both questions for ethics block 1 so it'll be fine
SCheng
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh okay cool! We haven't called it ethical theory and we don't use a textbook haha That's why I got confused. Do you think you can get away with not learning religion + morality???
Yes you can get away with not doing religion and morality My teacher didn't bother teaching it us last year as well, because it only comes up now and again. In the past papers i have in a question it's usually write about deontology or virtue ethics, and then a separate one for natural law, but if religion and morality did come up then the other question with definitely be something on ethical theory.
12lightf
Rep:
?
To anyone who's particularly up on RL, do you reckon verification counts as a 'type' of RL? I was given a past question to do where the AO1 is contrast two types of religious language. Analogy for one but tbh, there doesn't seem to be enough differences between say Analogy and Symbolism to contrast whereas Verification completes opposes virtually everything else :L
Sadsnail
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 12lightf)
Well... I'm not going to haha. They can't put religion + morality in both questions for ethics block 1 so it'll be fine

(Original post by SCheng)
Yes you can get away with not doing religion and morality My teacher didn't bother teaching it us last year as well, because it only comes up now and again. In the past papers i have in a question it's usually write about deontology or virtue ethics, and then a separate one for natural law, but if religion and morality did come up then the other question with definitely be something on ethical theory.
Okay, sooo would I be safe in revising (for unit 3)

ontological
atheism
religious language (verification, falsification, analogy, myth symbol, language games)

and

deontology
natural moral law
virtue ethics

??
headbands,
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does any one know or have any revision material / useful websites for ethical language (meta ethics) or religious language? Really struggling with these topics, any help would be great
12lightf
Rep:
?
(Original post by headbands,)
Does any one know or have any revision material / useful websites for ethical language (meta ethics) or religious language? Really struggling with these topics, any help would be great
Google 'Wellington College Intranet'. It should be pretty easy to find A2 Philosophy & Ethics and there's various slide shows etc on the A-level topics. It's not even my school... but they've got good stuff lol
12lightf
Rep:
?
Okay, sooo would I be safe in revising (for unit 3)

ontological
atheism
religious language (verification, falsification, analogy, myth symbol, language games)

and

deontology
natural moral law
virtue ethics

??
Yep. Just make sure you do RL in a lot of depth
Sadsnail
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I already have for unit 4 (: so theres 2 questions in ethics block 1? And religion and morality won't be both questions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
12lightf
Rep:
?
Yeah I already have for unit 4 (: so theres 2 questions in ethics block 1? And religion and morality won't be both questions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Two seperate questions in each of the four blocks. M & R won't be but Ethical Theory might be simply because it's essentially 3 subjects lumped together.
julia154
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TalieAnn)
It worries me that everyone is talking about Donovan and Ayer for the implications paper... My class is doing texts by Lafollete, Schneewind and Jamieson. Is anyone else doing texts from these three? I and my whole class are so stuck! We literally have no idea how to write the essay for it. We did a timed essay in class, we haven't got them back yet, but I spent the whole time literally just rewording the text ha! Our teachers arent even too sure how to teach us it! We're all fine on developments, it's just implications ahhh!!! How's everyone else finding it? Any tips? haha
Yeah my class are doing this too, and by the sounds of it ours is less straightforward than the Philosophy of Religion questions. I looked at some questions for those and they seem way better! Tips? Haha not really. I found that reading through the articles over and over again really does help (though it did take me an hour to read each ) plus I'm learning some general quotes from the rest of the article so that I can refer back to them and just make sure the examiner knows I know what the writer's are going on about.

I'm praying for Lafollete or maybe Schneewind, I hate Jamieson
rose.3445
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Would I be covered if i did- virtue ethics, deontology, ethical language, religious language, atheism and religious experience?
SCheng
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a revision lesson today, and according to my Philosophy teacher, Atheism and Critiques of Religious Belief, although it is in the text book, never comes up in Unit 3 as a full question. The question apparently in that section is always between Religious Experience and the Ontological Argument.

Just thought i'd let people know
12lightf
Rep:
?
(Original post by rose.3445)
Would I be covered if i did- virtue ethics, deontology, ethical language, religious language, atheism and religious experience?
Yep. Pretty much the same as what I'm doing.
12lightf
Rep:
?
I had a revision lesson today, and according to my Philosophy teacher, Atheism and Critiques of Religious Belief, although it is in the text book, never comes up in Unit 3 as a full question. The question apparently in that section is always between Religious Experience and the Ontological Argument.

Just thought i'd let people know
Cheers. I'm kind of worried tho, cause I know it hasn't come up in the past, but there doesn't seem to be any particular reason why it shouldnt
julia154
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to a talk with the people who create the exams, and they gave a 50 minute long talk on Athiesm by the way :/ Don't know if that means it's more likely to come up or what but 50 minutes was a lot longer than any of the other talks.
SCheng
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cheers. I'm kind of worried tho, cause I know it hasn't come up in the past, but there doesn't seem to be any particular reason why it shouldnt
Yeah i get what you mean, but even in the old specification the topic never game up :/

(Original post by julia154)
I went to a talk with the people who create the exams, and they gave a 50 minute long talk on Athiesm by the way :/ Don't know if that means it's more likely to come up or what but 50 minutes was a lot longer than any of the other talks.
Well the whole Atheism and Critiques of religion can go into the Westphal article; so maybe they were implying that Unit 4 is going to be Westphal (even though it came up last year lol)

Did they say anything else about the exams in the talk?
12lightf
Rep:
?
Yeah i get what you mean, but even in the old specification the topic never game up :/

Well the whole Atheism and Critiques of religion can go into the Westphal article; so maybe they were implying that Unit 4 is going to be Westphal (even though it came up last year lol)

Did they say anything else about the exams in the talk?
I don't think its hinting at unit 4. Not only was it Westphal last year but it was also a part of Westphal that dealt with Atheism. I can't believe it would come up twice.

I see no reason why there couldn't be a purely Atheism unit 3 question tho. Would avoid it like the plague if there was
SCheng
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think its hinting at unit 4. Not only was it Westphal last year but it was also a part of Westphal that dealt with Atheism. I can't believe it would come up twice.

I see no reason why there couldn't be a purely Atheism unit 3 question tho. Would avoid it like the plague if there was
Well say Atheism did come up, I wouldn't do it lol Even though i know the parts of it needed for Westphal, i'd rather just do the Ontological Argument argument.

I've decided what i'm just going to revise, so i think i'll be prepared at whatever stupid questions Edexcel throw at me lol
ReeyaM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
could someone please help me by breaking down the different topics for the different sections of the paper (for developments)
Im so confused on what topics to revise! many thanks!
JyotiGuron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey guys im so stuck for revising for life after death, are there any resources or revision notes anyone could post? would be a great help... thanks xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (36)
29.75%
No (85)
70.25%

Watched Threads