sofy356
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I just about understand the confusing lay out of the exam now I just have to get the theory and stuff sorted.
This is what my case studies are:
Film- Slumdog Millionaire, 10 Things I hate about you and Star Trek
Magazine- Gardeners World, National Geographic Kids and GQ
TV- Ross Kemp in Afghanistan, Blue Peter and Monroe.
I think I can just about do Text, Audience and Industry for the films but I’m having a lot of trouble with the magazine and TV! If anyone is doing similar case studies and could help me on Industry, Audience and Text for them I will be very grateful.
crimson.threads
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
I thought the magazine for our year's entry was a music magazine? That's odd, since I did the Jan entry, and it was concerned with the music industry, more than anything else...

Unless you're talking about coursework? Our exams should be the same, since I took WJEC Media too, but can you layout your course; seems to be different to mine.
sofy356
Rep:
Oh no don't worry me even more! These are just the texts my teacher has given and worked through (well tried to work through) No im on about the exam

Im even more confused now, I understand that everyone has looked into different things but I didnt tink it had to fit into certain groups like music magazines :/
crimson.threads
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
This is somewhat belated, but here's my school wiki; you may find it useful in terms of theory!

http://www.esfmedia.com/page/GCSE+Media

I'm sorry about confusing you, it is rather odd...
Either way, I wouldn't worry! Media is underpinned by two or three base concepts, and the rest of the theories are built up around it.

These are, unfortunately... the ones you're having trouble with.
To put it simply,
Text: the actual thing, or product viewed by people- i.e: Slumdog Millionare, The Daily Telegraph, Nicki Minaj's "Stupid ***"

Audience: The people themselves that view the text- they can be divided into various social classes

Industry: The media industry provides, and creates text in order to satisfy the audience, and obtain money from them.

It's not too difficult to link audience and text together, but the high points come from linking the INDUSTRY, and the TEXT to each other, and HOW the industry therefore affects the text.

For example, if a text say, Telephone by Lady Gaga was made by an indie music company, rather than one of the 'Big Four', this would affect the amount of people that Gaga reaches that is, her audience. This would mean that her star persona would be perceived quite differently in context.

As for the exam, try your best! But it's okay if you mess up a little- I dropped a 10 mark question and still managed to come out with an A*; it's very important to have good coursework!
sofy356
Rep:
Thanks so much! Yer i think im just gunna struggle with industry but if i work at it now then i am sure it will be fine
Yer my coursework wasnt very good and got me a very low C and I would like a B over all so need to get revising!
crimson.threads
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
B overall? You're going to need an A* or an A, depending on how many % your cwk makes up, and your score! Good luck, tell me who it goes
sofy356
Rep:
Ahh no again with the scaring me! Im sure it will all be fine and ok
janet827
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I am also doing this exam and I need to get an A* this year. What do we need to do to get the top marks?
crimson.threads
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sofy356)
Ahh no again with the scaring me! Im sure it will all be fine and ok
Ahh no! I'm so sorry, I tend to do that, but it's pretty normal where I come from! Sorry

(Original post by janet827)
I am also doing this exam and I need to get an A* this year. What do we need to do to get the top marks?
Well you need to refer to A LOT of texts. So watching lots of related texts, analysing some in your own time as well having a loose plan for question five- which if this applies to you, should be music magazines this year.

What I personally did myself was during the Christmas hols, (I took Dec 2011) I spent each day on one question, and trying to remember as much as I could, using note cards- reading the wiki (linked about- look through it, it's brill!) and analysing texts.

It worked!

High A in exam- 68 + coursework, A*- 117 = 185, which lands me in the A* grade :3

Oh and a tip from me; if your coursework is brilliant, it's ok to drop marks. If it's not.... time management is key.
Westie
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing this exam too, although different texts (and instead of magazine we're doing the game industry). One of our texts for the TV industry is The 6, 0, clock News and we have to know about it's genre and conventions, signifiers and iconography, but I have no idea what to say?! I don't know any technical terms for The News or anything...can you help? Please?!
crimson.threads
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Westie)
I'm doing this exam too, although different texts (and instead of magazine we're doing the game industry). One of our texts for the TV industry is The 6, 0, clock News and we have to know about it's genre and conventions, signifiers and iconography, but I have no idea what to say?! I don't know any technical terms for The News or anything...can you help? Please?!
Uhh..... Can't really help you on that, if it's news as in 6PM news on the telly, sorry. But do take a look at the wiki I've linked above; it has lots of things that might be useful to you, such as the Uses & Gratifications theory (Blumler & Katz); especially the surveillance aspect of that.

If it's a newspaper, I can give you a bit of a rundown on generic stuff, especially on the Daily Telegraph.
PrinceSarah
Report 9 years ago
Oh I'm doing Slumdog Millionaire as my film text too!

(Original post by Westie)
I'm doing the 10'o'clock news, what channel are you doing for yours?
SugarPuddle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crimson.threads)
This is somewhat belated, but here's my school wiki; you may find it useful in terms of theory!

http://www.esfmedia.com/page/GCSE+Media

I'm sorry about confusing you, it is rather odd...
Either way, I wouldn't worry! Media is underpinned by two or three base concepts, and the rest of the theories are built up around it.

These are, unfortunately... the ones you're having trouble with.
To put it simply,
Text: the actual thing, or product viewed by people- i.e: Slumdog Millionare, The Daily Telegraph, Nicki Minaj's "Stupid ***"

Audience: The people themselves that view the text- they can be divided into various social classes

Industry: The media industry provides, and creates text in order to satisfy the audience, and obtain money from them.

It's not too difficult to link audience and text together, but the high points come from linking the INDUSTRY, and the TEXT to each other, and HOW the industry therefore affects the text.

For example, if a text say, Telephone by Lady Gaga was made by an indie music company, rather than one of the 'Big Four', this would affect the amount of people that Gaga reaches that is, her audience. This would mean that her star persona would be perceived quite differently in context.

As for the exam, try your best! But it's okay if you mess up a little- I dropped a 10 mark question and still managed to come out with an A*; it's very important to have good coursework!
Would say all this would be the key things to focus on? Relation between text, audience and industry in comparison to a lot of facts and referring back to the question and talking about representations and signifiers? One of my questions in section A text for MS4 in WJEC asks me to talk about gender representation in my chosen industry for example. Or even better 'Explore the key representations in your chosen texts' (no idea what I would write for that question) and in section B, 'explore the different ways in which audiences are/or users respond to your chosen texts'?

Any suggestions as to how I would go about answering these? I'm really stuck. I'm doing the film, tv and music industry. (Mostly horror films, sci fi shows for TV and music I'm doing Spotify, Napster, iTunes and bands like Radiohead, Prince and lots of others like Paul McCartney, Ray Charles, Pretty Lights etc.)
Becs261093
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing film tv and magazines and one of the films we have to do is pulp fiction - so hard!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
janet827
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm also doing film tv and music. What others are you doing for film and tv?x
Becs261093
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Film - pulp fiction, hot fuzz and 17 again
TV - blue bloods, inbetweeners and doctor who

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
janet827
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Doctor Who's the only one we've got in common lol Im also doing Miss Marple :/ and CSI
and film we're doing Paul, Slumdog millionaire and the kings speech
megan.cl
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Is this the exam on the 15th June?

Because our class is doing newspapers, music industry, and radio industry. So completely different to you guys!

Does anyone know where to get the past papers? I've tried the WJEC website but can't work out where they are
janet827
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yeah it's Friday 15th AM
Im doing music indusrty too!
I couldn't find any past paper either but they would be useful, only one ive seen is last years which our teacher showed us
sofy356
Rep:
There's only one on wjec website and its very difficult but I just asked my teacher to make me some I'm slightly worried that I should of done a music thing as everyone else seems to of done that :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (6)
8%
Okay (25)
33.33%
A bit lacking (21)
28%
Not good at all (23)
30.67%

Watched Threads