The Student Room Group

Financial crisis ! whats your opinion and why :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Classical Liberal
If you take the fundamental assumption that if men are free, they will take the action which they believe will achieve their goals, then if a man chooses to work in a factory instead of on a farm then he must have had a reason, and he must believe that working in the factory will allow him to achieve his goals.

This belief relies on the false assumption that a peasant leaving his farm to the city has complete knowledge and that once he is in some crappy factory working 16 hours he is either happy, or can return back to his previous life.

Now, go take any class on urban studies, or city planning. Go and read Planet of Slums for example.

The cities are growing at a maddening rate in many developing countries, and "choice" is the most laughable naive reason I have ever heard to explain that.

These people have zero choice. Their farms are bought out by larger companies, or prices pushed down by more competition from international firms (see Haiti or Egypt for real-world examples), and you end up with a mass exodus of rural people into the cities in search of better lives. They invariably end up in slums and in squalid misery. To impute that this process is about "freedom" and "choice" is the saddest most bourgeoise thing I've heard in my life, really.

These people are unfortunate. But as long as they are not slaves, that is they are not free to choose where they use their labour, then they will take the decisions that benefit them.

Again a bunch of nonsense about freedom to choose.

Primitive economies must go through such stages. We did in the industrial revolution. One of the great fallacies of the industrial revolution was to think it caused proverty. What it really did was concentrate poverty in such a way that is was easily observable. Which is what happens when people see 3rd world factories, they see concentrated poverty. Rather than unconcentrated grinding poverty of the worst kind.

Ah, the "temporary misery" argument. It's ok if your life is crap, it's only temporary!

What the industrial revolution did was organize workers. I can tell you know nothing about the riots and strikes that swept England during the 1800s. It was those workers who achieved what you take for granted now - the 9-hour work day, the 5-day week, and no children in labour.

The workers of developing countries can't do this because capitalism is global. If a factory in Vietnam strikes, the international corporation moves to Cambodia or India. You would need a mass strike of an entire continent.

Secondly, to remove such misery, we here in the west could force our companies to avoid child labour. But that goes against your religious beliefs, so that's not on the table. They deserve their suffering just like your forefathers did right? It's all temporary...soon they'll have an information economy and cheap ipads and nikes - the sign of a great life.

Also, I'd recommend reading No Logo, by Naomi Klein. The unbelievably horrifying conditions of these workers are well documented if you choose to open your eyes to them, but Klein documents the process of how big firms like Nike and Apple use these workers. They are not hired, they are sub-contracted by labour companies, like a bunch of slaves being rented out by a slave-owner temporarily. And they have to petition the firms for short contacts by competing with other such companies. Ah the beauty of freedom!

1st world countries do precisely the same things. We have to compete with them. We have to compete with China and India. But in reality nations do not compete, it is people who compete.

Uhm no. First world countries do not do the same things. They have labour laws. That's why they don't produce anything here anymore.

Yeah, because they went to nations that had opportunities. Nations that had the free market. The people voted with their feet. And the voted for freedom.

Are you joking or just that ignorant?

They had military strength over the indigenous people whom they destroyed. That was not freedom, that was invasion and genocide. They invaded north America by military might, and they invaded Australia by military might. Then they appropriated their resources. "Freedom" is a wishy-washy fantasy you've adopted.

Secondly, this is impossible today. International movement for the lowest classes is highly restricted. They are stuck within their own nations.

Wasted lives. The reason why we do not work really long hours is because we are productive enough work for 8 hours a day, and that is enough to support us. And that is because we have access to advanced capital which makes us more productive.

Are you serious? ...

Here is some reading for you:

Canut Revolts in France
1848 French Revolution (note the rallying cry of the "right to work")
The Paris Commune
The Peasant Wars of Germany that influenced Engels and Marx later on
The Chartist Riots in England
The "Radical War" uprising in Scotland
The Luddites, another example of why general education is important and an example of how "freedom of labour" is a myth that you tell yourself.
The London Matchgirls Strike when a bunch of women and girls went on strike to protest 14-hour work days, crap pay, and the unsafe conditions of working with toxic chemicals.

And I'm going to stop there. The list could go on and on and on, but I just realized I'm arguing with someone who doesn't have the faintest idea of what they're talking about.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is all nonsense. Benefits were not cut to allow corporations to stay profitable. Indeed it would probably do the opposite as consumers have less income to spend.

Which is why the credit industry exploded.

And lower wages is not an indentity to high profitability. That is a complete Marxist fallacy.

Care to prove that statement?

Again this is not true. Real wages have been rising. People who saying wages have been stagnent are always quoting household incomes, rather than individuals.

Here:

http://www.tandfonline.com/action/showPopup?citid=citart1&id=F0001&doi=10.1080/08935691003625182

Tell me something - how old are you? What is your educational background in? What kind of jobs have you had?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by spaceman spiff

The cities are growing at a maddening rate in many developing countries, and "choice" is the most laughable naive reason I have ever heard to explain that.

These people have zero choice. Their farms are bought out by larger companies, or prices pushed down by more competition from international firms (see Haiti or Egypt for real-world examples), and you end up with a mass exodus of rural people into the cities in search of better lives. They invariably end up in slums and in squalid misery. To impute that this process is about "freedom" and "choice" is the saddest most bourgeoise thing I've heard in my life, really.

Nobody ever said freedom was freedom from necessity, or that choice meant that one could have or do everything or everything.

The point is that individual freedom and choice under Capitalism is preferable to a condition where the state makes decisions for you and enforces them by coercion.

FYI I do not necessarily believe that life as a feudal serf in an agricultural economy was worse than being a wage laborer in a Capitalist economy, but one cannot hold back the transition to Capitalism, or you can but you will need concentration camps and secret police.
(edited 12 years ago)
@Snozzle,

I'm not advocating an alternative to capitalism. I agree that capitalism is a natural step in the evolution of the economy. What I am arguing against is that it is some benevolent process and the ideal solution to social welfare, which is what Classical Liberal keeps stating.

I'm also attacking the notion that people's suffering is just a temporary stage. I think we could do a lot more to stop that, but we don't because of views like Classical Liberal's which argue that their suffering is a temporary phase in their capitalist development. I argue that developing countries now cannot develop in the same way that western countries did for reasons mentioned in the posts.

snozzle
Nobody ever said freedom was freedom from necessity, or that choice meant that one could have or do everything or everything.

Classical Liberal argued that these people have the choice to work in their chosen fields, which somehow increases productivity because they aren't forced into it. I was telling him that they have no choice whatsoever in choosing their jobs, and that they are very much forced, not to mention their inability to revert back to previous jobs. Klein's No Logo documents a lot of examples of how workers are forced and treated. The point being:

a) slave-labour is slave-labour, let's not pretty it up for ourselves by some fantastical imaginations of 'freedom of choice' or that these people are entering into jobs that they inherently like or want to be in. That's just silly.

b) We could regulate this sort of thing and ensure people have decent lives, but that would hurt our own living standards

c) Regulation to improve people's lives goes against the religion of free-marketeers, whose beliefs have little connection to reality or history, as I've proven above.

You really need to read through the debate to understand what's going on. Otherwise you're just taking statements out of context
Reply 204
@Snozzle,

I'm also attacking the notion that people's suffering is just a temporary stage. I think we could do a lot more to stop that, but we don't because of views like Classical Liberal's which argue that their suffering is a temporary phase in their capitalist development. I argue that developing countries now cannot develop in the same way that western countries did for reasons mentioned in the posts

Well I don't believe in historical laws per se so who knows if it is just a stage or whatever. You might be right that these countries cannot develop in a way that we can, but just as an empirical observation states that have tried to 'preserve' an agricultural way of life and objected to Capitalism have been abject tyrannies. I think that when Capitalism is unleashed you cannot put it back into the bottle, you can only task the state with taking it over as a monopoly and you end up with something worse.

Classical Liberal argued that these people have the choice to work in their chosen fields, which somehow increases productivity because they aren't forced into it. I was telling him that they have no choice whatsoever in choosing their jobs, and that they are very much forced, not to mention their inability to revert back to previous jobs. Klein's No Logo documents a lot of examples of how workers are forced and treated. The point being:

a) slave-labour is slave-labour, let's not pretty it up for ourselves by some fantastical imaginations of 'freedom of choice' or that these people are entering into jobs that they inherently like or want to be in. That's just silly.

b) We could regulate this sort of thing and ensure people have decent lives, but that would hurt our own living standards

c) Regulation to improve people's lives goes against the religion of free-marketeers, whose beliefs have little connection to reality or history, as I've proven above.

You really need to read through the debate to understand what's going on. Otherwise you're just taking statements out of context

You just said yourself it is a choice, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean that. Like I said choice in Capitalism is not choice free from necessity it is choice free from coercion such as can be applied by the state or by traditional elites.

Libertarianism is not incompatible with a modicum of regulation or provision of social services and some welfare.
Which is why the credit industry exploded.

No. The expansion in credit has been mainly due to people leveraging up, trying to gain from rising property prices. People go into debt to buy homes with the hope that those homes will increase in price. Which the act of many people doing this, actually increases house prices. It is self fulfilling.

Care to prove that statement?

It is entirely possible that you lower wages and this leads to labour leaving your firm. Wages are set where the marginal cost of labour (wages) equals the marginal revenue product of labour (output per worker). Employment does not increase beyond this point, otherwise each additional worker would cost more than they produce.

Suppose you had set wages where MC = MR. If you were to reduce wages, some of the workers you had previously employed would leave, these workers were making you a profit before, and have no left. Thus it is entirely possible that loweing wages decreases profits for a firm.

Infact it is very obvious this is true, because if your assertion were true, people would not be paid anything because firms would maximise profits that way.

The workers wages versus the corporations profits is pure fallacy from start to end. Where do you suppose corporations get their revenue from? They get it from consumers. And where do you suppose consumers get their money from? They get it from their wages. It should be pretty easy to work out the rest.

What is the sampling methodology and statistical methodology?
And why have you just quoted manufacturing?

Jump to 5:00.

Tell me something - how old are you? What is your educational background in? What kind of jobs have you had?

None of your damn business. Who I am makes absolutely no difference to the strength of my arguments.
No. The expansion in credit has been mainly due to people leveraging up, trying to gain from rising property prices. People go into debt to buy homes with the hope that those homes will increase in price. Which the act of many people doing this, actually increases house prices. It is self fulfilling.

It is entirely possible that you lower wages and this leads to labour leaving your firm. Wages are set where the marginal cost of labour (wages) equals the marginal revenue product of labour (output per worker). Employment does not increase beyond this point, otherwise each additional worker would cost more than they produce.

Suppose you had set wages where MC = MR. If you were to reduce wages, some of the workers you had previously employed would leave, these workers were making you a profit before, and have no left. Thus it is entirely possible that loweing wages decreases profits for a firm.

Infact it is very obvious this is true, because if your assertion were true, people would not be paid anything because firms would maximise profits that way.

The workers wages versus the corporations profits is pure fallacy from start to end. Where do you suppose corporations get their revenue from? They get it from consumers. And where do you suppose consumers get their money from? They get it from their wages. It should be pretty easy to work out the rest.

And why have you just quoted manufacturing?

Jump to 5:00.

None of your damn business. Who I am makes absolutely no difference to the strength of my arguments.

Do you think we could ever live without money?
This belief relies on the false assumption that a peasant leaving his farm to the city has complete knowledge and that once he is in some crappy factory working 16 hours he is either happy, or can return back to his previous life.

If you notice I carefully worded it to say that the action of labour was speculation rather than action with definite results.

Now, go take any class on urban studies, or city planning. Go and read Planet of Slums for example.

I think people are freely going to cities. Have you ever heard somebody say this ''I am sick of this place, I want to leave and go to the city"? I have many times.

Again a bunch of nonsense about freedom to choose.

You think that people make bad decisions then?

Ah, the "temporary misery" argument. It's ok if your life is crap, it's only temporary!

Do you have a proposal that gets rid of this stage? Charity and governmental control clearly do not work in any meaningful sense.

What the industrial revolution did was organize workers. I can tell you know nothing about the riots and strikes that swept England during the 1800s. It was those workers who achieved what you take for granted now - the 9-hour work day, the 5-day week, and no children in labour.

I suspect there is a lot more to such regulations than first meets the eye. There is always two groups of people with bad laws. The well intended sponsors who think laws that remove freedom will help people, and then the special interests who will benefit from such laws. Child labour laws I suspect were backed by incumbent labour as a way of getting rid of compeition from children.

Secondly, to remove such misery, we here in the west could force our companies to avoid child labour. But that goes against your religious beliefs, so that's not on the table. They deserve their suffering just like your forefathers did right? It's all temporary...soon they'll have an information economy and cheap ipads and nikes - the sign of a great life.

I think companies that avoid Child labour are apeasers and are actively doing harm. There is nothing compassionate about taking choices away from people who have very few. I don't want children to work. But on the other hand in some nations children need to work just to feed themselves.

Also, I'd recommend reading No Logo, by Naomi Klein. The unbelievably horrifying conditions of these workers are well documented if you choose to open your eyes to them, but Klein documents the process of how big firms like Nike and Apple use these workers. They are not hired, they are sub-contracted by labour companies, like a bunch of slaves being rented out by a slave-owner temporarily. And they have to petition the firms for short contacts by competing with other such companies. Ah the beauty of freedom!

Naomi Klien is about as much of an authority on labour economics as I am on classical music.

Firms like Nike and Apple probably treat their workers better than alternative employers anyway. Sure the treatment the workers get is poor by our standards but the more choice in employment workers have, the better the conditions the workers actually get. But it is just pure demagouery to highlight Nike and Apple just because people recognise the brands. It is just a way to sell crappy books.

Uhm no. First world countries do not do the same things. They have labour laws. That's why they don't produce anything here anymore.

One of those great ironies. What good are your employee rights, when you don't have a job?

They had military strength over the indigenous people whom they destroyed. That was not freedom, that was invasion and genocide. They invaded north America by military might, and they invaded Australia by military might. Then they appropriated their resources. "Freedom" is a wishy-washy fantasy you've adopted.

Complete red herring. That is a completely seperate issue.

Are you saying people have not emigrated to America and Australia?

Secondly, this is impossible today. International movement for the lowest classes is highly restricted. They are stuck within their own nations.

I would like to open up borders more, being a libertarian and all.

Here is a great video that you might enjoy, it is all to do with employee rights and the like.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by associativememory
Do you think we could ever live without money?

I think we could live a pretty poor standard of life without money. Human beings used to live in caves, without money.
If you notice I carefully worded it to say that the action of labour was speculation rather than action with definite results.

I think people are freely going to cities. Have you ever heard somebody say this ''I am sick of this place, I want to leave and go to the city"? I have many times.

Do you have a proposal that gets rid of this stage? Charity and governmental control clearly do not work in any meaningful sense.

I suspect there is a lot more to such regulations than first meets the eye. There is always two groups of people with bad laws. The well intended sponsors who think laws that remove freedom will help people, and then the special interests who will benefit from such laws. Child labour laws I suspect were backed by incumbent labour as a way of getting rid of compeition from children.

The workers of developing countries can't do this because capitalism is global. If a factory in Vietnam strikes, the international corporation moves to Cambodia or India. You would need a mass strike of an entire continent.

I think companies that avoid Child labour are apeasers and are actively doing harm. There is nothing compassionate about taking choices away from people who have very few. I don't want children to work. But on the other hand in some nations children need to work just to feed themselves.

Naomi Klien is about as much of an authority on labour economics as I am on classical music.

Firms like Nike and Apple probably treat their workers better than alternative employers anyway. Sure the treatment the workers get is poor by our standards but the more choice in employment workers have, the better the conditions the workers actually get. But it is just pure demagouery to highlight Nike and Apple just because people recognise the brands. It is just a way to sell crappy books.

One of those great ironies. What good are your employee rights, when you don't have a job?

Here is a great video that you might enjoy, it is all to do with employee rights and the like.

What about the stress of working a mundane repetitive job? What about the long term stress and detrimental health of working these type of jobs, so more profit can be made?

Surely, the long term solution is to redesign the system?

Watched this twice now - wonder what you (and others on here) may think of shortening the working week?

I think we could live a pretty poor standard of life without money. Human beings used to live in caves, without money.

What are your thoughts about the availability of resources? Is there enough to go around?
What about the stress of working a mundane repetitive job? What about the long term stress and detrimental health of working these type of jobs, so more profit can be made?

I certainly want to improve working condition (assuming workers are willing to accept the trade offs freely). But the only way working conditions are improved is practice are where employees have more bargaining power, rather than government mandate. The way to give them more bargaining power is to allow them to have multiple potential employers and to give them more skills.

Surely, the long term solution is to redesign the system?

If by redesign you mean, liberate people to associate freely, then yes.

Watched this twice now - wonder what you (and others on here) may think of shortening the working week?

I am all for people working less. That is the ultimate goal for mankind really, we need not work and machines produce everything we need. However I am completely against government mandated hours of work. That can only hurt people.
(edited 12 years ago)
What are your thoughts about the availability of resources? Is there enough to go around?

There are never enough resources. We never ever have enough resources. That is the blight of existance, the fact of scarcity. The question is, how to distribute scarce resources. And the system that has been proven to work time and time again is the price mechanism. As long as prices are able to fluctuate freely then we will use resources efficiently.

As resources become scarcer then prices will rise, which signals to people to use such resources more carefully.
I certainly want to improve working condition (assuming workers are willing to accept the trade offs freely). But the only way working conditions are improved is practice are where employees have more bargaining power, rather than government mandate. The way to give them more bargaining power is to allow them to have multiple potential employers and to give them more skills.

If by redesign you mean, liberate people to associate freely, then yes.

I am all for people working less. That is the ultimate goal for mankind really, we need not work and machines produce everything we need. However I am completely against government mandated hours of work. That can only hurt people.

What do you want the World to progress to? How do you want to see the World?
What do you want the World to progress to? How do you want to see the World?

Now that is a very good question. In essence freedom to choose for all men.
Now that is a very good question. In essence freedom to choose for all men.

Can someone make an unconditioned 'free choice' - what is 'free will'?
Can someone make an unconditioned 'free choice' - what is 'free will'?

Making decisions without force, threats of force or fraud.

Actually it does. I feel like I'm having a discussion with a 2nd-year undergraduate student in economics who has never held a proper job, travelled outside the west, or picked up a history book.

Because really, that's the only way to explain your views, or should I say religious beliefs.

Please explain why US national debt multiplied by something like a factor of 10 between the mid 70s and mid 90s.

Also please explain why national saving in the US has been so low (sometimes negative) since the 70s.

Again, you're regurgitating standard textbook responses. I also took econ101 or whatever it was in which this is taught. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a lot of that textbook stuff they teach you is quite flawed.

Now, people will only leave their jobs if they have choice. And that is exactly what people do not have in a recession. That is why recessions are prime periods for lowering of wages and benefits - because people are desperate. I recently took a new job in January. I am getting paid substantially less than people were paid for the same position 3-5 years ago. I took it anyway. Why? Because most of the competing firms were offerring less! Why? Because they can. Why? Because they know people are desperate and unemployment is high.

So yes, in textbook land, if an employer lowers wages, the employees leave and find better jobs and their places are filled by others who are more desperate. And the system is beautiful and a holy miracle of balance and precision that should not be tampered with. In reality, there are other considerations like high unemployment that mean existing workers will not leave their jobs but will accept paycuts, and new workers will enter the labour market with lower wages than their predecessors.

This was in the appendix:

Sources of Hourly Wage Data

A Historical Statistics of the United States (HSUS), Series D 765–778, “Average Hours and Average Earnings in Manufacturing,” 1890 to 1926

B HSUS, Series D 845–876, “Average Days in Operation per Year, Average Daily Hours, and Annual and Hourly Earnings, in Manufacturing,” 1889 to 1914

C HSUS, Series D 830–844, “Earnings and Hours of Production Workers in 25 Manufacturing Industries,” 1914 to 1948

D HSUS, Series D 802–810, “Earnings and Hours of Production Workers in Manufacturing,” 1909 to 1970

E U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Employment Statistics, “Average Hourly Earnings of Production and Non-supervisory Workers in Manufacturing,” 1939 to 2007, http://www.bls.gov/ces/

Sources for the Consumer Price Index

A HSUS, Series D 735–738, “Average Annual and Daily Earnings of Nonfarm Employees,” 1860 to 1900

B HSUS, Series D 722–727, “Average Annual Earnings of Employees,” 1900 to 1970

C U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

The series was constructed first by converting the various hourly wage series into real values of 2007 dollars. Second, in years for which multiple entries of the hourly wage existed, an average was taken such that:

1890–1914: average of sources A and B
1914–1919: B was the only source
1920–1938: average of sources C and D
1939–1948: average of sources C, D and E
1949–1970: average of sources D and E
1970–2007: E was the only source
Next, this hourly real wage series was converted into an index, in which 100 was set equal to the real hourly wage for 1890.

Sources for Productivity Data

A Historical Statistics of the United States, Series D 683–688, “Indexes of Employee Output,” 1869 to 1969

B U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Industry analytical ratios for manufacturing, all persons,” http://www.bls.gov/lpc/

Superseded historical SIC measures for manufacturing, durable manufacturing, and nondurable manufacturing sectors, 1949–2003; ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/opt/lpr/histmfgsic.zip

C U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Series Id PRS30006092, http://www.bls.gov/lpc/, 1987 to 2007

The above data sources provide the annual percentage change in the quantity of output per hour for the manufacturing sector. The index was constructed as follows:

1890 to 1949, from source A
1949 to 1987, from source B
1987 to 2007, from source C
Year 1890 was set equal to 100.

Ah, I see. So "freedom of choice" is now equal to "false hope". It doesn't matter if their dreams are crushed and they end up living in slums! They have the illusion of free choice in the matter, so it's all ok! Needless to say, my point stands. There is no choice.

....uh, maybe in england, or in sweden.....not in Egypt/Sudan/Vietnam/Cambodia/Kyrgyzstan etc. etc. ad infinitum

No, they make desperate uninformed decisions. Partially because they tend to be uneducated, and partially because they have no other choice because they've been outpriced and outcompeted by agribusiness or mega-corporations.

Well I've said it quite a few times already, universal labour laws that mean all humans are equal. Not the status quo, which is labour laws for western people and no laws whatsoever to protect the rest of the world who make our products.

I think companies that avoid Child labour are apeasers and are actively doing harm.

I think you don't have the faintest clue of what you're talking about. Have you read all the articles I posted about the labour movement? If you had, you wouldn't be so woefully cavalier about what 3rd world children should be doing.

Firms like Nike and Apple probably treat their workers better than alternative employers anyway.

This is why I accuse you of religious adherence. First I recommended Rawls and you dismissed it without knowing what it's about. Then I recommend Naomi Klein and you dismiss her without knowing a damn thing about her book. Then you say firms "probably" treat their workers better without knowing the first thing about how these firms contract the workers. Just read the book then tell me what Nike or Apple is "probably" doing.

Lol. Get a job and then preach to me about the harm of employee rights. That's number one.

Number two is that I forgot to correct you last time. Nations do compete with each other. Your belief that only people compete is an obvious fallacy. There isn't a single country on earth that developed from feudalism to modern life through free-market capitalism. Each and every one went through a stage of protectionism or mercantilism, and most, like the US and EU are still doing it.

So when I complain about capitalism and you tell me "all countries went through it", then that is my response when you say "remove all regulation".

Of course I didn't. I clearly stated above that this had to do with colonization and expropriation of other people's resources and land through military might. If that's your idea of "freedom" in capitalism then I don't know what to tell you.

To what extent? You're saying you would allow millions of workers to immigrate from China to the UK? Or from India or Egypt or Sudan or Nigeria?

Because you do realize what that would do to the English economy right?

Ah I'm getting tired of this debate.

I recommend that you study the history of the labour movement in the west, since I do not believe you know anything about it and that's extremely significant to your views on labour rights.

I recommend you read No Logo by Naomi Klein, and Planet of Slums by Mike Davis to acquaint yourself with the lives of the workers who made your shoes, clothes, computers, phones, ipads, etc. As well as to understand the politics of urbanization and slum-growth. Planet of Slums will shock you, I guarantee it.

I recommend you acquaint yourself more with history, to avoid making rash assumptions about Romans and capitalism or whatever.

Lastly, I recommend you read some Erich Fromm. He was a German social psychologist who wrote a lot about identity formation and the desire for certainty. Join that with a study of postmodernism by Jean-Francois Lyotard to understand the psychological framework of religious adoption of "grand-narratives". "Grand-narratives" are largely a source of comfort for people, and everyone at some point seeks the existential comfort that only certainty in a strong dogma can bring. Certainty in strong dogma has the fault of radicalization and blind belief, which is why an understanding of postmodern theory and the yearning for certainty are crucial.
Reply 218
. I feel like I'm having a discussion with a 2nd-year undergraduate student in economics .

Hey you should be flattered by this CL! :biggrin:
I dont really know much about economics. But I do know that when a household has a debt problem the aim is to pay off the debt and not borrow any more. If the country had no debt the money we spend paying debt could go into savings which we could use instead of borrowing. Therefore this all important credit rating wouldnt matter. I think we should point out to the banks to whom we owe money that we have an army and they dont and tell them to go **** themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending