The Student Room Group

What do you like best - pure or applied?

Poll

Pure or Applied?

When I say pure maths I mean proper pure maths e.g. number theory, not core maths 1-4 a level stuff (with the exception of possibly proof by induction).

I personally like applied maths way more because it seems more creative and you can see how it can be used.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

PURE! no comparison
Reply 2
I prefer applied maths, especially mechanics.
Reply 3
Pure ... no question
Reply 4
I agree that applied allows you room to think and be creative, I've got some friends who are amazing at that but really struggle with basic pure. It's classic left vs right side of the brain stuff
Reply 5
I like statistics :colondollar:

I've never met anyone else who does though :teehee:
Original post by Silent--ly
I like statistics :colondollar:

I've never met anyone else who does though :teehee:

:hi:
Reply 7
Pure and mechanics
Reply 8
I like both, but because I seem to have some kind of latent fear of physics, I've found myself much further to the pure side of the spectrum than I'd ever have imagined I'd be. I can't be bothered weighing up the good and bad points of each side, because they're fairly obvious. But really, to suggest that there's less creativity in pure maths is mind-bogglingly mistaken; do you know what pure maths is?
Reply 9
Original post by tooambitious
:hi:

Hey :hi:

Long time no see, how are you? :h:
Hey :hi:

Long time no see, how are you? :h:

:biggrin:, im good, (except revision :tongue:) how are you? Excited to start exams :wink:
Reply 11
I don't even need to think about this - pure.
Reply 12
Original post by tooambitious
:biggrin:, im good, (except revision :tongue:) how are you? Excited to start exams :wink:

I'm good thanks :biggrin: Although not enjoying the revision :emo: I'm revising procrastinating history now.

And no, I seem to have more exams than anyone I know :emo: And I'm slightly worried about my 5 maths exams...

But we're taking this thread slightly off topic :wink: Oops :colondollar:
I'm good thanks :biggrin: Although not enjoying the revision :emo: I'm revising procrastinating history now.

And no, I seem to have more exams than anyone I know :emo: And I'm slightly worried about my 5 maths exams...

But we're taking this thread slightly off topic :wink: Oops :colondollar:

Me too, between tsr and temple run I've only done like 3 fp1 papers in like 4 hours :s-smilie:, but meh, it's not healthy to revise too much :biggrin:

Haha yes we are

On topic: Pure and Stats FTW :biggrin:
Reply 14
Everything is an application of pure Mathematics. Couldn't resist it. :tongue:

fields-arranged-by-purity.png
Reply 15
Original post by nuodai
I like both, but because I seem to have some kind of latent fear of physics, I've found myself much further to the pure side of the spectrum than I'd ever have imagined I'd be. I can't be bothered weighing up the good and bad points of each side, because they're fairly obvious. But really, to suggest that there's less creativity in pure maths is mind-bogglingly mistaken; do you know what pure maths is?

number theory, analysis, geometry, proofs and logic? that is what I thought pure maths was. maybe I missed a few things. and am I correct in thinking that calculus is completely applied maths except for studying it through analysis?
Reply 16
I can only base this on 1st/2nd year stuff, but so far it's pure all the way!
Reply 17
Original post by Alex_K123
I agree that applied allows you room to think and be creative, I've got some friends who are amazing at that but really struggle with basic pure. It's classic left vs right side of the brain stuff

There is no such thing as "classic left vs right side of the brain" stuff.
Original post by gff

But if you think about it, isn't maths applied philosophy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gff

May have stolen that for my sig I loved it that much :redface: hope you don't mind

Quick Reply

Latest