Report Thread starter 12 years ago
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...823804-5675922

Thanks.
joe8232
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That calculator is allowed in all maths exams bar c1. I have the 83SE which is the same calc with more memory or something like that. Do a search on ebay and you should get a decent price.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
(Original post by joe8232)
That calculator is allowed in all maths exams bar c1. I have the 83SE which is the same calc with more memory or something like that. Do a search on ebay and you should get a decent price.
Is it worth getting a cable to download applications for the calculator or shouldn't i bother?
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it worth getting a cable to download applications for the calculator or shouldn't i bother?
You have to clear the calculators memory before an exam, so not at A Level.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
(Original post by ssmoose)
You have to clear the calculators memory before an exam, so not at A Level.
Ah okay. I'll wait till uni then.
joe8232
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It comes with a cable - or at least mine did.
Christophicus
Rep:
?
(Original post by joe8232)
It comes with a cable - or at least mine did.
Not on ebay. :rolleyes:
Do you know where I could buy one?
Xxx Mini xxX
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Widowmaker)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...823804-5675922

Thanks.
no you cant use this calculator in any A level maths examination as it has ability to differentiaite and draw graphs and it is strictly forbidden, sorry but this is true so dont buy it till you get to uni.........thank goodness you posted this before the worst!!!! (you can thank me now.........lol)
Popcorn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Xxx Mini xxX)
no you cant use this calculator in any A level maths examination as it has ability to differentiaite and draw graphs and it is strictly forbidden, sorry but this is true so dont buy it till you get to uni.........thank goodness you posted this before the worst!!!! (you can thank me now.........lol)
Wrong.

http://www.mathsnet.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=102
Christophicus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xxx Mini xxX)
Maths - What are the regulations/guidance for use of calculators?

Question
Maths - What are the regulations/guidance for use of calculators?

Answer
One section of the regulations on calculators say that

Calculators designed or adapted to offer any of the following facilities are prohibited:

• language translators
• symbolic algebra manipulation
• symbolic differentiation or integration
• capability of remote communication with other machines or the World Wide Web.

All our papers other than P1, P3 and C1 have a front page which says "Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration. Thus candidates may NOT use calculators such as the Texas Instruments TI-89, TI-92, Casio CFX 9970g, Hewlett Packard HP 48G" - these four models are the one we know about, though there may be others.

Other than for P1 and P3 (see below), there are no lists of what's allowed and what's not allowed. Graphical calculators can be used for all papers except P1, P3 and C1 so long as they don't contravene regulation 24.2.3.

Particular models I receive enquiries about, which I believe don't contravene the above regulations, are the Casio fx-83es, the Casio 9750g and the Texas TI-83 (with whichever suffix).

For 6663 Core Mathematics C1, the specification states that "candidates may not have access to any calculating aids, including log tables and slide rules." - so no calculators at all for this unit.

For 6671 and 6673 Pure Mathematics P1 and P3, the specification states that "candidates may only have access to a simple scientific calculator."

The scientific calculators that are permitted in the examination must meet the specification which has been agreed by your examination board and QCA. Where the restrictions apply, no graphic calculators may be used, only some scientific calculators are allowed. See http://www.qca.org.uk/12041_1728.html for further details. Allowed and banned calculators for the P1 and P3 units can be found on the QCA website at http://www.qca.org.uk/12041_1727.html.

These regulations also apply to GCSE Mathematics and Statistics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads