I'm a student but i cant stand students!? Watch

Rooftopcowboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Clarence)
Ha ha. By University Clothing do you mean the hoodies and such like with the University splashed across the front?
yes, its not necessarily that such clothing is bad...in moderation its ok (shows university spirit etc), like lounging about campus over a weekend...its just some people literally live in their uni hoodies!

also some have them customised with their names/nicknames embroidered etc...you can practically learn the names of most of this campus as theyll have it stiched or printed on them somewhere.

I just mean that when on a night out in a club/bar where there will be locals (even if it is a student sort of night) i see no need to be plastered in uni clothing and generally making themselves stand out...whereas I prefer to mix in, maybe thats just me.

and like I said it makes them a target for chavs a lot more, walking around in a uni hoodie would be ok though...its just in combination with chatting to 'mummy and daddy' on the mobile, and generally not giving a damn for personal safety (like counting money in streets, carrying wallet/purse in hand etc)
Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When i was in Oxford i did see a fair few Oxford hoodies, polo shirts etc when i went out!!
x-CrAzY-x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its always the same, if their going down they manage to drag everyone down with them!!!

I bet she was a blonde.
Yes she was blonde! :rolleyes:
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
yes, its not necessarily that such clothing is bad...in moderation its ok (shows university spirit etc), like lounging about campus over a weekend...its just some people literally live in their uni hoodies!

also some have them customised with their names/nicknames embroidered etc...you can practically learn the names of most of this campus as theyll have it stiched or printed on them somewhere.

I just mean that when on a night out in a club/bar where there will be locals (even if it is a student sort of night) i see no need to be plastered in uni clothing and generally making themselves stand out...whereas I prefer to mix in, maybe thats just me.

and like I said it makes them a target for chavs a lot more, walking around in a uni hoodie would be ok though...its just in combination with chatting to 'mummy and daddy' on the mobile, and generally not giving a damn for personal safety (like counting money in streets, carrying wallet/purse in hand etc)

maybe its ur attitude problem that means u find it difficult to make friends?
Rooftopcowboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by El Scotto)

maybe its ur attitude problem that means u find it difficult to make friends?
at which point did i state that i havent got freinds? i have plenty at uni and at home.

I was just saying I am one of many who prefers to go out and enjoy myself and mix with both students and locals..not just sing uni songs and mix with solely uni people..

i hope that clears it up.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by icedout)
i.e. you hate the entire evolution of language, and wish we still communicated with pointing and grunts?
That is absolutely not what I said, don't blow things out of proportion. If using words like "pulled", "minging", and "randomers" is the way language is going, then yes, I do hate it. Disliking vulgar language like this - which essentially disfigures the English language - is completely different from disliking any evolution at all and wishing we were still communicating like cavemen.
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All those uni-socialites suck!
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rachel)
That is absolutely not what I said, don't blow things out of proportion. If using words like "pulled", "minging", and "randomers" is the way language is going, then yes, I do hate it. Disliking vulgar language like this - which essentially disfigures the English language - is completely different from disliking any evolution at all and wishing we were still communicating like cavemen.
erm i think the poster was being ironic but obviously you didn't see that
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
erm i think the poster was being ironic but obviously you didn't see that
Heh. Whether he was being ironic or not, I still disagreed with his point.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
I generally hate 95 percent of my upper sixth. Theyre all a bunch of pretentious re tards.
I hate 95% of my sixth form. There's not nearly enough pretentious *******.
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair do's, were all entitled to an opinion.
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All those uni-socialites suck!
oh dear. i hate people who sit in the background, inwardly seething at others who actually enjoy being socially active and having a good time. how on earth do uni-socialites 'suck'?! you're not even at uni i notice, how would you even know conclusively?!
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another person who obviously doesn't understand my point whatsoever.
wendizzle22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dancingqueen)
Higgy, you'll find the worst offenders with regard to drinking probably have never drunk before university. So when they're finally 'let free' they feel they have to drink loads to make up for it....:rolleyes: I used to drink at home so don't feel I have to go absolutely insane here!
I think this is true. It's probably likely to be the people with more affluent backgrounds who haven't been exposed to alcohol/have stricter parents or people from outside cities who haven't been to clubs before.

I get a bit annoyed about the stereotypical students who think the point in life at the moment is to be as sick as possible, especially as I work at a student bar and I have to clear up their mess! However I wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for them wanting drinks! The pulling stuff is a bit sickening but can be funny - every friday night at 1:40am ish while I'm on my break, the same girl pulls a different guy into a secluded corner shrouded by curtains, near where I sit. It's become a big joke with all the staff, silly lady!
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another person who obviously doesn't understand my point whatsoever.
hmmm, obviously. so far, i've only heard you say uni socialites suck, and emit anti-blonde sentiments :rolleyes: care to clarify if i've got such the wrong end of the stick?!
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, im blonde!!

I was basically referring to a comment another poster made about Uni Student's only being confined to other Uni students, Uni Bars etc...

I have nothing against being soially active at university, i cannot wait actually!!
icedout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rachel)
I'm sorry but that is absolute pretentious b*llocks and if you knew anything about linguistics you wouldn't be saying it. There is no such thing as 'disfiguring' language. It evolves naturally and you can't control it except by choosing the words YOU say.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Another thing that i have noticed and i dont know if its just nottingham or throughout the country but a number of students seem to hate and detest the local population, and just sling the word chav around like theres no tommorow. If i go out with my mon uni mates i try and keep them away from my uni mates as the two groups just dont mix whereas im sat smack bang in the middle lol
icedout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
Another thing that i have noticed and i dont know if its just nottingham or throughout the country but a number of students seem to hate and detest the local population, and just sling the word chav around like theres no tommorow. If i go out with my mon uni mates i try and keep them away from my uni mates as the two groups just dont mix whereas im sat smack bang in the middle lol
Yeah I feel exactly the same.
Rooftopcowboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
I find that too, dont get why...I find all the local people I have breif chats with (mostly the cleaners, shop staff, bar staff etc though) to all be freindly and interesting.

thats one of the reason I came to this uni (Durham Uni's Queens campus, which is in Stockton on Tees) is becuase it has a large number of local students.

Id hate to be in a uni (including the main Durham campus itself as well really) were the university dominates the city/town and everyone is either a student or a member of academic staff...

I dont see the point of moving to a uni and not learning about the local area, seeing the sights and mixing with the people.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads