The Student Room Group

Interphase

State two processes that occur in a cell during interphase to prepare for a meiotic division.

One of the point in the MS is :

synthesis of membrane

wondered if this is just referring to the fact that organelles such as mitochondria-chloroplast are synthesises and since they have double membrane ..

+rep
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
well that's just an answer you would have got a mark for, it's not a reference to that really.

most people would have said replication of DNA, organelle replication/synthesis, protein synthesis, cell growth etc.
Reply 2
Probably relating to the fact that as the cell is preparing to divide it needs to synthesise more membrane material so there's enough for two cells.
Original post by Pride
well that's just an answer you would have got a mark for, it's not a reference to that really.

most people would have said replication of DNA, organelle replication/synthesis, protein synthesis, cell growth etc.

Ah yeh thats what I thought at the beginning but was just curious to see what that marking point is about!
Original post by Elwyn
Probably relating to the fact that as the cell is preparing to divide it needs to synthesise more membrane material so there's enough for two cells.

Well, cell is not preparing to divide but nucleus is preparing to divide!!
correct me if am wrong :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by arvin_infinity
Well, cell is not preparing to divide but nucleus is preparing to divide!!
correct me if am wrong :smile:

Well, technically interphase isn't a stage of mitosis. Mitosis is the process of nuclear division, and so prophase is actually the first stage. But I think for A-level (I assume that's what stage you're at) they say interphase is a stage of mitosis.

The main thing you need to appreciate is that the cell needs to grow and therefore requires a bigger membrane.
Original post by Elwyn
Well, technically interphase isn't a stage of mitosis. Mitosis is the process of nuclear division, and so prophase is actually the first stage. But I think for A-level (I assume that's what stage you're at) they say interphase is a stage of mitosis.

The main thing you need to appreciate is that the cell needs to grow and therefore requires a bigger membrane.

AQA keeps interphase and mitosis/meiosis separate :smile:

As far as AQA is concerned, you get:

G1

S

G2

Prophase

Metaphase

Anaphase

Telophase

Cytokinesis

Reply 7
Original post by Elwyn

well no, at a-level, they say it's a stage of 'the mitotic cycle' but not mitosis which is 'PMAT', it takes place before it. The a-level syllabus splits interphase into 3 sections too, G1, S, and G2.
Reply 8
Various things are happening during the interphase stage of the cell divisional cycle, some include:

G1 - Highly active stage of protein synthesis and general metabolic activity, cell growth including lipid synthesis for the plasma membrane and other membranes, cytoplasmic volume increases, organelle biogenesis
S - DNA replication, DNA repair
G2 - Additional DNA repair checks, protein synthesis, final stages of cell growth
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pride
well no, at a-level, they say it's a stage of 'the mitotic cycle' but not mitosis which is 'PMAT', it takes place before it. The a-level syllabus splits interphase into 3 sections too, G1, S, and G2.

WJEC don't. They were terrible at teaching cell division.
Reply 10
Original post by Elwyn
WJEC don't. They were terrible at teaching cell division.

ahh ok
Original post by cptbigt
Various things are happening during the interphase stage of the cell divisional cycle, some include:

G1 - Highly active stage of protein synthesis and general metabolic activity, cell growth including lipid synthesis for the plasma membrane, cytoplasmic volume increases, organelle biogenesis
S - DNA replication, DNA repair
G2 - Additional DNA repair checks, protein synthesis, final stages of cell growth

so synthesis of membrane is reffering to synthesis of plasma membrane?

Also wondered whether is a replication or synthesis of organelles?
Reply 12
Original post by arvin_infinity
so synthesis of membrane is reffering to synthesis of plasma membrane?

Also wondered whether is a replication or synthesis of organelles?

Synthesis of membrane will be referring to anything that requires a biomembrane - the plasma membrane of the cell, mitochondria, golgi, etc

"Organelle biogenesis" - generation of new organelles is usually labelled as a G1 event :smile: Although it's likely that it occurs throughout the entirety of interphase in most species.
What's a meiotic division

Quick Reply