Interphase Watch

arvin_infinity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
State two processes that occur in a cell during interphase to prepare for a meiotic division.

One of the point in the MS is :
  • synthesis of membrane

wondered if this is just referring to the fact that organelles such as mitochondria-chloroplast are synthesises and since they have double membrane ..

+rep
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well that's just an answer you would have got a mark for, it's not a reference to that really.

most people would have said replication of DNA, organelle replication/synthesis, protein synthesis, cell growth etc.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably relating to the fact that as the cell is preparing to divide it needs to synthesise more membrane material so there's enough for two cells.
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pride)
well that's just an answer you would have got a mark for, it's not a reference to that really.

most people would have said replication of DNA, organelle replication/synthesis, protein synthesis, cell growth etc.
Ah yeh thats what I thought at the beginning but was just curious to see what that marking point is about!
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elwyn)
Probably relating to the fact that as the cell is preparing to divide it needs to synthesise more membrane material so there's enough for two cells.
Well, cell is not preparing to divide but nucleus is preparing to divide!!
correct me if am wrong
Elwyn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arvin_infinity)
Well, cell is not preparing to divide but nucleus is preparing to divide!!
correct me if am wrong
Well, technically interphase isn't a stage of mitosis. Mitosis is the process of nuclear division, and so prophase is actually the first stage. But I think for A-level (I assume that's what stage you're at) they say interphase is a stage of mitosis.

The main thing you need to appreciate is that the cell needs to grow and therefore requires a bigger membrane.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Well, technically interphase isn't a stage of mitosis. Mitosis is the process of nuclear division, and so prophase is actually the first stage. But I think for A-level (I assume that's what stage you're at) they say interphase is a stage of mitosis.

The main thing you need to appreciate is that the cell needs to grow and therefore requires a bigger membrane.
AQA keeps interphase and mitosis/meiosis separate

As far as AQA is concerned, you get:
  • G1
  • S
  • G2
  • Prophase
  • Metaphase
  • Anaphase
  • Telophase
  • Cytokinesis
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)

well no, at a-level, they say it's a stage of 'the mitotic cycle' but not mitosis which is 'PMAT', it takes place before it. The a-level syllabus splits interphase into 3 sections too, G1, S, and G2.
cptbigt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Various things are happening during the interphase stage of the cell divisional cycle, some include:

G1 - Highly active stage of protein synthesis and general metabolic activity, cell growth including lipid synthesis for the plasma membrane and other membranes, cytoplasmic volume increases, organelle biogenesis
S - DNA replication, DNA repair
G2 - Additional DNA repair checks, protein synthesis, final stages of cell growth
Elwyn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
well no, at a-level, they say it's a stage of 'the mitotic cycle' but not mitosis which is 'PMAT', it takes place before it. The a-level syllabus splits interphase into 3 sections too, G1, S, and G2.
WJEC don't. They were terrible at teaching cell division.
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
WJEC don't. They were terrible at teaching cell division.
ahh ok
arvin_infinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by cptbigt)
Various things are happening during the interphase stage of the cell divisional cycle, some include:

G1 - Highly active stage of protein synthesis and general metabolic activity, cell growth including lipid synthesis for the plasma membrane, cytoplasmic volume increases, organelle biogenesis
S - DNA replication, DNA repair
G2 - Additional DNA repair checks, protein synthesis, final stages of cell growth
so synthesis of membrane is reffering to synthesis of plasma membrane?

Also wondered whether is a replication or synthesis of organelles?
cptbigt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arvin_infinity)
so synthesis of membrane is reffering to synthesis of plasma membrane?

Also wondered whether is a replication or synthesis of organelles?
Synthesis of membrane will be referring to anything that requires a biomembrane - the plasma membrane of the cell, mitochondria, golgi, etc

"Organelle biogenesis" - generation of new organelles is usually labelled as a G1 event Although it's likely that it occurs throughout the entirety of interphase in most species.
Isabelle1234567
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's a meiotic division
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%