Turn on thread page Beta

First time blood donor! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who else gives blood? me and my friends went today (took 2 hours) but it was worth it. Didn't hurt much at the time but my arm's killing now.

Anyone else give blood or have an organ donor card? I can't see why people wouldn't want to!

ReputationRep:
    NO! My blood, mine all mine!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    Who else gives blood? me and my friends went today (took 2 hours) but it was worth it. Didn't hurt much at the time but my arm's killing now.

Anyone else give blood or have an organ donor card? I can't see why people wouldn't want to!
    After the first time it only takes about 30-40 minutes or so (that's my experience at least). Don't see why your arm would be hurting....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    After the first time it only takes about 30-40 minutes or so (that's my experience at least). Don't see why your arm would be hurting....?
    I must be a wuss lol - just where the needle was it aches a bit.

ReputationRep:
    my arm hurt afterwards because i was fairly near the minimum weight and my bood pressure isn't high so it was almost forced (although they stopped before it actually bruised, so i ddin't even give enough)- if you have high bp it jus comes gushing out.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well done rednirt, have a red badge of courage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Indeed, did you have a "be nice to me, I gave blood today" sticker?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's a nice thought, but somehow i don't think I'd ever want to or be able to bring myself to give blood. Call me selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    if you have high bp it jus comes gushing out.

lou xxx
    That fills me with encouragement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I suppose it's a nice thought, but somehow i don't think I'd ever want to or bring myself to give blood. Call me selfish.
    You're selfish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I suppose it's a nice thought, but somehow i don't think I'd ever want to or be able to bring myself to give blood. Call me selfish.
    Is it due to a fear of needles?

ReputationRep:
    I usually finish in about 8-9 minutes, but my blood pressure is normal. I always do the grippy-squeezing of my hand as well. I'm just so eager for the juice and biccies...

ReputationRep:

Well done, that's nice to hear

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, did you have a "be nice to me, I gave blood today" sticker?
    yep and a "my mum gave blood today" one... she didn't really, but I wanted it lol

(Original post by 2776)
    thank you 2776

ReputationRep:

'.............A very small number of donors, less than half of one percent, experience slight discomfort during or immediately after donatin.............' risky operation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Is it due to a fear of needles?
    1. Fear of needles.
    2. Underweight.
    3. I spend a lot of time taking care of my health, my blood is precious to me. I wouldn't have it if I didn't need it.
    4. It's not entirely natural to give a part of my body away like that.
    5. You never know where it is going to - someone who might have had an accident through drinkdriving for example is careless. I wouldn't want them to have my blood.

Yes I'm selfish Everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    That fills me with encouragement...
    makes sense, the more pressure, the quicker it flows... i reckon that's why they don't allow anyone with really high bp to give blood, cos it wpuld just be like a tidal wave of redness...

*gone too over the top?*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Every nurse complains that my vein is hard to find (funny, because my skin is so pale - it must be buried deep in there). I've had two trainees and I've had to give hints to them and the main nurse about where it usually comes from. Perhaps the deeper it is, the more gushy it is? I don't know but I've never bruised - perhaps because the needle is deeper in so it doesn't wiggle around. The tube going down to the bag freaks me out when it rests on your arm - you can feel your warmy/cold blood going out... <eeek>!

ReputationRep:
    Yes everyone is selfish, that I give you 'nuff respect for But your body reproduces the blood so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    makes sense, the more pressure, the quicker it flows... i reckon that's why they don't allow anyone with really high bp to give blood, cos it wpuld just be like a tidal wave of redness...

*gone too over the top?*

lou xxx
    Hehe, I have images of blood tidal waves now!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.