Turn on thread page Beta

First time blood donor! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Because it makes YOU feel kind and caring. It's all about YOU, deary.
    That is not always the case. Eg. someone I know has had to have loads of blood transplants, and I know that her small boy would, obviously, feel terrible if she had died because of not having the blood transplants, so that would be why I would give blood, not because it makes me feel better, but to make others feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Ahh the flashbacks! I had a rather bad nose bleed at school today. Thats my donated blood for today, to the school sink.
    Thats nice, they may use it for drinking water the next day!

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes YOU feel kind and caring. It's all about YOU, deary.
    OK, how about the boy aged 6 years old who gave blood to her sister, who is dying. He thought that he would ide, as in give all his blood to her sister. But he did it anyway. He only said this as he lay on the table blood tranfusing: "Will the end be quick?"

That is a selfless act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    That is not always the case. Eg. someone I know has had to have loads of blood transplants, and I know that her small boy would, obviously, feel terrible if she had died because of not having the blood transplants, so that would be why I would give blood, not because it makes me feel better, but to make others feel better.
    ANd making others feel better makes you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Thats nice, they may use it for drinking water the next day!
    Knowing my school, most probably. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    OK, how about the boy aged 6 years old who gave blood to her sister, who is dying. He thought that he would ide, as in give all his blood to her sister. But he did it anyway. He only said this as he lay on the table blood tranfusing: "Will the end be quick?"

That is a selfless act.
    It made him happy to help his sister. Her life meant his happiness.

ReputationRep:
    When you save a life, you feel happy and good about yourself...you like that feeling and that's why you saved the life.

Sad, but true
    Yes, but it would also make the person who used that blood happy.

Also: "I wouldn't want to give my blood to a person like that".

You'd prefer a drink-driver to die because he made 1 mistake?

Thats just plain awful.....

I'm not saying "You must give blood" , but giving a reason like that it just cruel.

ReputationRep:
    You are so cynical! No, not because it would make me feel better, but because it would be genuinely awful if she did die. And I'm sure there are many people in her situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it makes me feel good - but it's not ALL about that. The blood I gave goes to good use. And I don't care if someone brought it upon themselves, because I don't believe health care should NOT be discriminatory in this country (in the true sense of the word and not the new one that simply suggests racism/sexim/ageism etc).

(If we're going to talk about "bringing it upon themselves" any fillings brought on by eating too many sweeties/drinking fizzy, people who have attempted suicide or for that matter childbirth and maternity care should not be provided for.)

ReputationRep:
    yes everything can have selfish motives... but the point is which is more selfish?

a) giving to get a sense of personal satisfaction (and actually my brother got ice cream too) and potentially saving someone's life
    b) not giving because the person might deserve to die.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, but it would also make the person who used that blood happy.

Also: "I wouldn't want to give my blood to a person like that".

You'd prefer a drink-driver to die because he made 1 mistake?

Thats just plain awful.....

I'm not saying "You must give blood" , but giving a reason like that it just cruel.
    Just because it makes the recipient happy doesn't mean YOU'RE not being selfish though.

I didn't say he deserves to die at all...but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.

ReputationRep:
    It made him happy to help his sister. Her life meant his happiness.
    How do you know that? Can you read his mind?

You can say and deduce your thoughts on anything you want. and it will all be based on YOUR thoughts/feelings. Which is correct. BUT, some people do it for the enjoyment of others as well. And maybe that giving other people's joy is the RIGHT thing to do.

Do you not doubt that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    You are so cynical! No, not because it would make me feel better, but because it would be genuinely awful if she did die. And I'm sure there are many people in her situation.
    Yes you would feel bad if she died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    yes everything can have selfish motives... but the point is which is more selfish?

a) giving to get a sense of personal satisfaction (and actually my brother got ice cream too) and potentially saving someone's life
    b) not giving because the person might deserve to die.

lou xxx
    Depends on the person, but they are both selfish.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say he deserves to die at all...but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.
    Actually, you don't have to pay to give blood, it's free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Actually, you don't have to pay to give blood, it's free
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.
    THEN WE DON'T have to pay for YOUR mistakes. So that would mean no blood for you then, when you really need it. After all, you didn't put blood in teh blood pool did you now?

ReputationRep:
    and no fillings, no maternity care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    THEN WE DON'T have to pay for YOUR mistakes. So that would mean no blood for you then, when you really need it. After all, you didn't put blood in teh blood pool did you now?
    Well people who want to give blood should and people who don't, shouldn't. If I make a mistake, don't get blood, then tough for me.

ReputationRep:
    Every act has some selfish motive. It's not a bad thing, it's just us. The important thing is that you do the right selfish acts, a point Louisa touched on earlier. I'd rather be called selfish for giving blood and saving a life than not. But I'm ****-scared of needles! And I'll do it when I'm older.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.