This discussion is closed.
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Because it makes YOU feel kind and caring. It's all about YOU, deary.
That is not always the case. Eg. someone I know has had to have loads of blood transplants, and I know that her small boy would, obviously, feel terrible if she had died because of not having the blood transplants, so that would be why I would give blood, not because it makes me feel better, but to make others feel better.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ramaya)
Ahh the flashbacks! I had a rather bad nose bleed at school today. Thats my donated blood for today, to the school sink.
Thats nice, they may use it for drinking water the next day!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because it makes YOU feel kind and caring. It's all about YOU, deary.
OK, how about the boy aged 6 years old who gave blood to her sister, who is dying. He thought that he would ide, as in give all his blood to her sister. But he did it anyway. He only said this as he lay on the table blood tranfusing: "Will the end be quick?"

That is a selfless act.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
That is not always the case. Eg. someone I know has had to have loads of blood transplants, and I know that her small boy would, obviously, feel terrible if she had died because of not having the blood transplants, so that would be why I would give blood, not because it makes me feel better, but to make others feel better.
ANd making others feel better makes you feel better.
Ramaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Thats nice, they may use it for drinking water the next day!
Knowing my school, most probably. :rolleyes:
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
OK, how about the boy aged 6 years old who gave blood to her sister, who is dying. He thought that he would ide, as in give all his blood to her sister. But he did it anyway. He only said this as he lay on the table blood tranfusing: "Will the end be quick?"

That is a selfless act.
It made him happy to help his sister. Her life meant his happiness.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When you save a life, you feel happy and good about yourself...you like that feeling and that's why you saved the life.

Sad, but true
Yes, but it would also make the person who used that blood happy.

Also: "I wouldn't want to give my blood to a person like that".

You'd prefer a drink-driver to die because he made 1 mistake?

Thats just plain awful.....

I'm not saying "You must give blood" , but giving a reason like that it just cruel.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You are so cynical! No, not because it would make me feel better, but because it would be genuinely awful if she did die. And I'm sure there are many people in her situation.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it makes me feel good - but it's not ALL about that. The blood I gave goes to good use. And I don't care if someone brought it upon themselves, because I don't believe health care should NOT be discriminatory in this country (in the true sense of the word and not the new one that simply suggests racism/sexim/ageism etc).

(If we're going to talk about "bringing it upon themselves" any fillings brought on by eating too many sweeties/drinking fizzy, people who have attempted suicide or for that matter childbirth and maternity care should not be provided for.)
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes everything can have selfish motives... but the point is which is more selfish?

a) giving to get a sense of personal satisfaction (and actually my brother got ice cream too) and potentially saving someone's life
b) not giving because the person might deserve to die.

lou xxx
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Yes, but it would also make the person who used that blood happy.

Also: "I wouldn't want to give my blood to a person like that".

You'd prefer a drink-driver to die because he made 1 mistake?

Thats just plain awful.....

I'm not saying "You must give blood" , but giving a reason like that it just cruel.
Just because it makes the recipient happy doesn't mean YOU'RE not being selfish though.

I didn't say he deserves to die at all...but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It made him happy to help his sister. Her life meant his happiness.
How do you know that? Can you read his mind?

You can say and deduce your thoughts on anything you want. and it will all be based on YOUR thoughts/feelings. Which is correct. BUT, some people do it for the enjoyment of others as well. And maybe that giving other people's joy is the RIGHT thing to do.

Do you not doubt that?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
You are so cynical! No, not because it would make me feel better, but because it would be genuinely awful if she did die. And I'm sure there are many people in her situation.
Yes you would feel bad if she died.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
yes everything can have selfish motives... but the point is which is more selfish?

a) giving to get a sense of personal satisfaction (and actually my brother got ice cream too) and potentially saving someone's life
b) not giving because the person might deserve to die.

lou xxx
Depends on the person, but they are both selfish.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't say he deserves to die at all...but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.
Actually, you don't have to pay to give blood, it's free
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Actually, you don't have to pay to give blood, it's free
:rolleyes:
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.
THEN WE DON'T have to pay for YOUR mistakes. So that would mean no blood for you then, when you really need it. After all, you didn't put blood in teh blood pool did you now?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and no fillings, no maternity care.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
THEN WE DON'T have to pay for YOUR mistakes. So that would mean no blood for you then, when you really need it. After all, you didn't put blood in teh blood pool did you now?
Well people who want to give blood should and people who don't, shouldn't. If I make a mistake, don't get blood, then tough for me.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Every act has some selfish motive. It's not a bad thing, it's just us. The important thing is that you do the right selfish acts, a point Louisa touched on earlier. I'd rather be called selfish for giving blood and saving a life than not. But I'm ****-scared of needles! And I'll do it when I'm older.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (25)
18.52%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (38)
28.15%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (72)
53.33%

Watched Threads