Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For A levels, I'm thinking of taking either:

1) Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History
    2) Maths, Biology, Chemistry, French
    3) Maths, Biology, History, French

Could you give me some advice? I do equally well in all five subjects, and I love them all. What kind of careers & degrees might each choice lead to? I don't really want to take five.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    1 & 2 may lead you to medicine/pharmacy...
    3 can lead you in a few directions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony)

Could you give me some advice? I do equally well in all five subjects, and I love them all. What kind of careers & degrees might each choice lead to? I don't really want to take five.

Cheers
    1 and 2 would lead quite nicely into medicine, but all 3 give you a wide range of choices - there would be alot of degree and career choices open to you

ReputationRep:

Either of these could take you into medicine or law or a natural science. Personally, I think History would be a better option for law.

Maths, Law, Natural Science, MML

ReputationRep:
    thanks I just want something that'll keep my options open cause I'm not 100% sure what I want to do, arts or sciences...

I know there aren't any specific subject requirements for law, but do you think that taking options like 1) an 2) will be a disadvantage, compared to ppl taking say english lit, history, politics, french?

ReputationRep:
    Most Law students will have an essay writing subject though! So I'd say Option 1 would be the best! Or Option 3 would be even stronger but it wont lead you to too many science degrees such as Medicine as it doesn't include Chemistry!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i do option 1. applied to do biochem, but these subjects really do leave a wide varity of options open. Include history as it opens the door to law (and many political degrees) - no specific entry requirements but history is very popular with admission tutors. French with 3 sciences limits some arts subjects and only 1 language might not help if you go for languages but having french would open up years in europe as part of a science course.

Whilst i would recommend option 1 (i'm rubbish at languages) option 3 could be good - but i would recommend chem instead of bio in this case as no chemistry really cuts down science courses and rules out med/vet/most physical sciences and some biological sciences (depending on what standard of uni you're looking at). So taking chem and hist would be v. advantagous - bio is v. interesting but probably opens fewer doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony)

Cheers
    If you like them all equally I would do either 1 or 2 as they would leave you with the most options. There is nothing you could do with option 3 that you couldn't with options 1 or 2. Whereas there are some areas that will only acept you with Biology and Chemistry and so you would need to have done 1 or 2.

As to which of 1 or 2 to do it really doesn't matter too much. History would be good because it can show-case your essay writing skills (which would be limited in the other 3 subjects) but remember it is ALOT of essays writing. French would be good because Unis like modern languages - however the reason for this is that they are HARD a-levels. Maths, the sciences and languages are probably the hardest a-levels you can take. So you would be stretching yourself with option 2- but then remember Unis will love those choices as tehy are all challenging.

Overall I would recommend option 1 as it seems to leave you alot of scope to change your mind career wise and History is a well respeceted and enjoyable a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony)

Cheers
    Anything with Biology, maths and chemistry can lead to a career medicine, natural sciences, physiolgy, anthopology etc. basically any subject involving the human body.

I personally would not take option three, because i think if you are going to take biology, it really helps in A-levels and Uni choices to have chemistry. Maths will always help if you are hoping to pursue a career in a science related subject.

Therfore, i think option 2 or 1. Just choose which one you prefer the most. I'm guessing ur doing your GCSE's so choose which you do best in. But French is VERY HARD in A-level, as i've heard you have to write quite long essays in French.

If i were you i would take option 1

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my chem teacher told me that option 3 isn't really helpful, and that bio is most useful when combined with chem (and maths too). So the choice comes down to between history and french... for my french mock, I got 100% UMS, and my teacher really says I should take it... I speak Chinese (mother tongue) already and am planning to take it as an extra A level next yr, so maybe french would make me seem too language-heavy? Would history show more of a contrast? On the other hand I would really like to be able to speak another language and if I don't take it at a level, I doubt I'd continue after gcses... dilemma!!

V. helpful advice though guys, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do what you will enjoy. It's going to be hard whatever you do, so have some fun with subjects you like.

ReputationRep:
    Astrobiology....... or Biomedical science......or medicine....

ReputationRep:
    I'd say biology, chemistry, maths and either French or history, so option 1 or 2, because biology and chemistry complement each other really well and taking both would open up more science options. As for whether you should take French or history, both are really respected subjects and ideally you should just take the one you prefer and are best at, but if you're really torn, history might leave more options open because an essay subject is good for things like law. You could always take evening classes in French on top of your A-levels or just keep up with it in your spare time, and you'll have Chinese anyway. So I'd probably say biology, chemistry, maths and history (option 1).

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.