The Student Room Group

Does your parents swear (at you)?

Scroll to see replies

I'm suprised by how many people's parents are so anti-swearing. I don't remember if my Mum and Dad swore at me a lot when I was younger but they did swear, and I remember them swearing a lot at my brother (I'm 7 years older hence why I can remember him being sworn at) I remember being utterly shocked and disgusted when my Mum actually called my little brother a c*** - he was about 9/10 at the time. She used to call him a lot of names, still does tbh :/
My dad and I swear as in dick head, ****er, bitch etc but we don't use the 'bad' swear words in front of each other/family members

I never swear around my mum though, I don't know why I think it's just out of respect
Reply 42
My dad does
Reply 43
Yes, but in a joking manner together. Never in a malicious way.

Also no, we are not some kinda white trash.

Swear words are just emphatic words that over sensitive idiots got butthurt over them and made them taboo.

What makes the work **** worse than poo? Or **** worse that sex? or ****/**** worse that crap?
Reply 44
They swear at me all the time

This was posted from The Student Room's app in my head
Once or twice, but only when they were really angry with me.
Not so much when I was in primary school, but pretty much all the time now I've left school. It's only bad parenting when it is just used as an everyday occurence. One 6 year old from my primary school got suspended for going on a swear rampage on his first day, until the teachers found out that his parents swore constantly and had never even told him that swear words were any different from normal words.
Reply 47
They swear in my home language, but swearing in English is like a MASSIVE no, it's different I guess but to them swearing in English is just wrong, I remember I got told off for spelling a word out.
My dad swore, not really at me but out loud, once because I dropped one of his guitars on his les paul gibson whatever it's called and dented it :')
My Step-Dad has quite a bit, but that's cos I was quite the terror. They both swear when talking about things though, it really gets to me. Seems like there's nothing more to say other than swear every twenty seconds.
Reply 50
They don't swear at me (and I don't swear at them either), but they use swear words other than c*** when angry/annoyed sometimes (i.e not every other word/in every sentence), as do I.

They don't regard words like bull**** as swearing though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Occasionally if I'm arguing with my Mum and I have completely pwned her using the logic and reasoning of a sane person (as usual) she sometimes calls me a bitch or a cow. But apart from that very little swearing from my rentals whatsoever.
Reply 52
Original post by tobeamedic
I have seen some parents (especially mums) swearing at their 10 year old sons (like in supermarkets). Example: "f******* hell, just keep it there".

Personally I think this is very bad parenting.

I agree, it shocked me the first time my parents swore. I don't mind swearing myself that much, but I only do it in purely informal settings.
Reply 53
I have the exact same problem, my dad swears at me even if I don't eat my dinner fully? I mean, is it my fault I dislike and have a distaste for mash?
Reply 54
Never
Oh yeah, all the time. I was called the C word so many times it seemed almost exciting when I became of age and could use it myself. They aren't as bad since I left home now so perhaps it was me perpetuating their negative behaviour?
Original post by Spans_xo
I have the exact same problem, my dad swears at me even if I don't eat my dinner fully? I mean, is it my fault I dislike and have a distaste for mash?

:rofl: Sorry but this made me smile, such an overreaction to a minor issue but yeah, parents are awesome. When you move out and become free you look back on all the annoying stuff fondly.. ish.
Reply 57
Weirdly, my parents casually swear in conversation with me all the time (and have no issue with me doing the same), but we never swear at each other in arguments, and I can't imagine them swearing in public.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Yeah me and my mum swear at each other. We have done every since I was a teen. Maybe its because we are more like sisters which was probably because she had me young.

My gran and papa swear around me too and they are ok with me swearing in the house but not outside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
I swear, occasionally when my kids are around. But I wouldn't swear at them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending