Bodybuilding society Watch

lapsaJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, Guys...I wanna get into this pretty soon so let me know what you can sort out of for me.

Btw, this an official society yet ?
Stone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BBGirl)
I'm a girl, I'm a girl!!:proud:

What do you want to know?

Not training today...........got an achy back and its legs day so i'm giving it a miss.
Wahaaaaaaay, BBGirl has come to join us, good on yah lass

hahaha I think ive used that excuse for legs before, although Im starting to like excercising them nowadays. :rolleyes:

lapsaJ, yes, this is an official society now.

If you guys are bored, come and join www.juiceduk.com, Im a moderator on there so just ask any question and we at juiced will try our best to help you.

Thanks, just check the site out
hed~kandi
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hey! *waves* Can I join???

Actually I need advice from you guys! I noticed you're helping out newbies to bodybuilding, and as I am one, hoped someone could give me a helping hand?

I'm a guy, 18 years old. I weigh 12 stone and am 5'9. I used to go to the gym about 3 times a week, up until january. Since then I've slacked off a little, but really wanting to get back into it now. I used to do more cardio than weights, but I wanna reverse that now. Some guy was telling me about reps at the gym, but I got totally confused, so can yu guys tell me the basics?! *Total newbie* LOL.

Also I'd like to know the most productive way of getting bigger and building muscle through sensible and benefitial exercise and also diet tips! (I bought some protein shake yesterday LOL)

I know loads of other people are asking for advice, so I appreciate any kind of feedback! Cheers, and much love ^^
Stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, it depends what your goals are mate. 12 stone at 5'9 sounds like a good base to start with, not so fat neither not too thin. I started off as 12 stone at 5'7, but quite tubby.

Anyway, what would you want help with?

Diet is pretty easy to set up but alot harder to actually do.

This is what I stuck to when I started training.

1.5g protein per lb bodyweight. (Chicken, tuna, mackarel, read meat, eggs)
About the same for carbs. (I stayed away from high gi foods such as white bread, white pasta, white rice. I ate brown pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread)
0.3-5g fat per lb bodyweight. Fat is the fat from nuts and fish, not fat as in fat from the edge of a steak lol.

I ate every 2 hours to keep my base metabolic rate high, burning fat at the same time. I drunk about 3 litres of water a day, ate lots of veg and fruit.
Would have 3 main meals and about 4 snacks. Snacks would be anything from a sandwich to a bowl of fruit or a protein shake to a small meal.

Diet with adequate rest is about 80% of the whole thing, how else are your muscles going to grow?
hed~kandi
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for your reply mate!

Just checked the scales, I'm 12st2lbs, so am pretty pleased with that. It's a good place to start from yea?

Anyway I'm already pretty good with my eating. I eat fairly regularly (though will start eating slightly more often as you've suggested) and I eat more protein and veg than anything. The only carbs I eat are brown rice and occasionally brown pasta, I don't eat bread or potatoes. I've got a big tub of protein supplement and I have 1 or 2 shakes a day (1 before I go to sleep). Is that enough, or should I have more?

How do you work out what is 1.5g protein of your bodyweight? And 0.5g of fat? Sorry, that's just me being thick!

So diet + rest = most important thing?! Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that! Thanks!

Also, the rest of my body seems quite "meaty" LOL, except my arms, which are too thin for my liking, they're out of proportion with the rest of my body. Any suggestions to build them up, or is just simply a case of doing loads bicep curls??

Cheers guys!
Stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good weight for your height. Just convert your weight, 12st 2 lbs into lbs, then multiply that by 1.5.
Fat are 0.5 multiplied by your body weight but when youve converted stone into lbs.
Diet and rest yes are just as important as weight training. You grow out of the gym, not in there. When you are weight training, what your doing is actually stressing the muscle and kind of like destroying, well not destroying but wearing muscle down. Then when you eat and have adequate rest, your body repairs itself by using the foods you have eaten.

As with the arms thing, just train them once week, do about 6-7 sets of about 2 different types of curls. Perhaps close grip straight or curl bar curls then one arm db curls. I currently train my bis after chest.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stone, you a juicer?
max_e_muscle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have a quik question about creatine. What is the benifit of taking it after you train? and why is it advisable to not take it during training?
Stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lapsaJ)
Stone, you a juicer?
I have a juice maker in the kitchen and I make fruit and veg juice with them so yeah, Im a juicer.

Heres a little something to read about creatine.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa.../creatine.html

I use creatine myself, not at the moment though. I use something called creatine ethyl esther which to a majority of people have used it, say its better than creatine monohydrate so get the ethyl esther stuff.

Im cutting up at the moment, I might put up some progress pics in the future.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Stone)
I have a juice maker in the kitchen and I make fruit and veg juice with them so yeah, Im a juicer.

Heres a little something to read about creatine.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa.../creatine.html

I use creatine myself, not at the moment though. I use something called creatine ethyl esther which to a majority of people have used it, say its better than creatine monohydrate so get the ethyl esther stuff.

Im cutting up at the moment, I might put up some progress pics in the future.
I only asked because of the forum link you posted..
hed~kandi
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Stone)
Good weight for your height. Just convert your weight, 12st 2 lbs into lbs, then multiply that by 1.5.
Fat are 0.5 multiplied by your body weight but when youve converted stone into lbs.
Diet and rest yes are just as important as weight training. You grow out of the gym, not in there. When you are weight training, what your doing is actually stressing the muscle and kind of like destroying, well not destroying but wearing muscle down. Then when you eat and have adequate rest, your body repairs itself by using the foods you have eaten.

As with the arms thing, just train them once week, do about 6-7 sets of about 2 different types of curls. Perhaps close grip straight or curl bar curls then one arm db curls. I currently train my bis after chest.
Thanks again! I think I'm pretty much sorted with the eating.

About training, how often is it a good idea to go, and for how long each time? Also, is it true that it is best to do training/go to the gym, in the mornings?? Oh and how many repetitons should I do per set (for example, when yu say do 6-7 sets of curls)?
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hed~kandi)

About training, how often is it a good idea to go, and for how long each time? Also, is it true that it is best to do training/go to the gym, in the mornings?? Oh and how many repetitons should I do per set (for example, when yu say do 6-7 serts of curls)?
As for reps, think it matters what you want. If you're wanting to build mass, stick to 6-8 reps. Correct me Stone if Im wrong ...
arktos
Report 12 years ago

About training, how often is it a good idea to go, and for how long each time? Also, is it true that it is best to do training/go to the gym, in the mornings?? Oh and how many repetitons should I do per set (for example, when yu say do 6-7 sets of curls)?
It's best to do training when it suits you, thats how you stick with it, but make sure you have brekkie or a potein shake first, otherwise I think you'll go completely catabolic. Have fun, It wont be long till you get addicted .
signor87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you do 3/4 training sessions a week that cover all the basic muscle groups, is it advisableto do any cardio in between?
Stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by arktos)
Have fun, It wont be long till you get addicted .
Oh yeah baby!

Heres a general rule of thumb

1-5 reps = strength
6-12 reps = hypertrophy
13+ = endurance

Cardio is fine on your rest days. I still do cardio whilst bulking, its just a good thing to do with so many health benefits to it regardless.

Also, another general is that it doesnt matter what time you go gym, you just have to schedule it round your lifestyle. Its better to go maybe about 4 hours or so after you wake up, having maybe 2 small meals and a snack before you go. But then, it totally depends on what you do before going gym.
If you have to go really early, I suggest have a big/ish dinner the night before.
Dr_Spybot
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by P1mP)
Im surprised it doesn't exist, so lets create it
Its for those, like myself who love exercising, pumping iron and generally keeping healthy..
Anyone want to join?
We can share tips and secrets of our training and successes/failure lol

10 members now
dyslexic banana?
dredgereformist
elipsis
Markus angelsdaughter
BBgirl
lapsaj
|1njs
akmd
Stone
mooter
Oooo, you can all make your own band all of you playing the washboard abs or playing drums with weights!
P1mP
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey! *waves* Can I join???

Actually I need advice from you guys! I noticed you're helping out newbies to bodybuilding, and as I am one, hoped someone could give me a helping hand?

I'm a guy, 18 years old. I weigh 12 stone and am 5'9. I used to go to the gym about 3 times a week, up until january. Since then I've slacked off a little, but really wanting to get back into it now. I used to do more cardio than weights, but I wanna reverse that now. Some guy was telling me about reps at the gym, but I got totally confused, so can yu guys tell me the basics?! *Total newbie* LOL.

Also I'd like to know the most productive way of getting bigger and building muscle through sensible and benefitial exercise and also diet tips! (I bought some protein shake yesterday LOL)

I know loads of other people are asking for advice, so I appreciate any kind of feedback! Cheers, and much love ^^
Welcome..11th member
P1mP
Rep:
?

It would kinda depend on ur goal..
If your trying to gain mass i suggest u keep it to 8 max..i bin doin 7 and have made gains in mass and strength..below 6 power..but do it explosively bcuz it stimulates more muscle fibres..anything more than 10 is prolly endurance/or if ur cutting up...but it also varies slightly depending on ur body so jus try out different techniques and see what works best for you
P1mP
Rep:
?
(Original post by mirwelsh87)
If you do 3/4 training sessions a week that cover all the basic muscle groups, is it advisableto do any cardio in between?
Depends if ur tyna gain mass or not..if u r..I personally wouldn't..maybe for a minute or so in-between exercises to keep the blood flowing!
P1mP
Rep:
?
(Original post by lapsaJ)
lol, Guys...I wanna get into this pretty soon so let me know what you can sort out of for me.

Btw, this an official society yet ?
I say u follow something like this:
Monday: Chest:
3xsets of bench press
2xsets of dumbell pullovers (with heavy weights) these will work the upper chest
2xsets of dips to failure + 2xsets of weighted dips (these hit the lower part of the chest)
Biceps:
4xsets of bicep curls (lengthens bicep)
2xsets of hammer curls (thickness of bicep and empahsis on biceps brachialis)
3xsets of concentration curls and/or barbell curls (peak the biceps)

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Legs:
3xsets of barbell squats or leg press if no barbell
4/sets of leg curl
4xsets of calf raises

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Back
4xsets of T-bar rows
4xsets of wide-grip pull ups to failure
3xsets of one-arm dumbell rows
2xsets of heavy Lat-pull down (works traps also)
2xsets of heavy shrugs for traps

Triceps
3xsets of dips to failure
4-5xsets pf rope pulldowns..if not then normal pulldowns..(i find rope more effective)
3xsets one-arm dumbell extensions
*If still got energy 2xsets of skullcrushers or barbell extensions..

Hope that helps..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise