Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I go total fitness, I think they're only across the north of England though... none down south.

Half decent stuff, quite big, but they also seem to be trying to scam money out of you.

ReputationRep:
    David Lloyds, top notch stuff

ReputationRep:
    A small local gym - better crowd than the posers in fitness first etc. It's nice to actually be able to put a face to the owner of the gym as well.

ReputationRep:
    nice small gym next to my house..true about the big gyms 2 many posers and haterS piss me off

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Virgin active is massive gym, recently they decided to take away the heavy weights like the massive free weights the excuse was it was attracting the wrong crowd, which is total bull****..Yeah my advice is virgin active london ones scam u, small local gyms are really cool if u got one near u as iam in london not much choice, most lock u in a 12 month contract so even if the gym gets crap u cant get out of it...ahhhh

ReputationRep:
    I go Cannons, only so my arms will turn into them rather than having guns!

Its alright, not as plush as others, its still a well decent health club and has db's that go to 45kg. Not bad for a health club, but will be joining a hardcore gym as 45kg isnt enough anymore, time to press the 60's + lol woooooooo.

plus get a bit more motivation in there and you can scream your arse off lol. Really helps on the last reps letting it out.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just go straight for the 130's? http://www.criticalbench.com/images/Mimnaugh4.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Why not just go straight for the 130's? http://www.criticalbench.com/images/Mimnaugh4.jpg
    I cant because they are..............

LIGHTWEIGHT, BABYYYYYY LIGHTWEIGHT!

ReputationRep:
    lol^^
    gotta love ronnie's attitude. its strangely similar to arnie's arrogance...

ReputationRep:
    Right - finally joined a gym yesterday and had the induction. That takes the total times I've done a workout in a gym to 2.

However, I want to get going, I was basically waiting till I stopped growing and I've now levelled off. I'm in reasonable shape, on the lanky side though as I'm 6'4, and i'm 18.

Would do people think of a full body workout every other day to be going on, with lots of protein all over the place. I still have a bit of a belly too (not too bad though) - would it be a good idea to put a good run in the intervening days?

Any advice would be appreciated, if I don't hear anything I'll get going using the machines and free weights there doing the largest weights I can for 3 sets of 6 reps. Good plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    Right - finally joined a gym yesterday and had the induction. That takes the total times I've done a workout in a gym to 2.

However, I want to get going, I was basically waiting till I stopped growing and I've now levelled off. I'm in reasonable shape, on the lanky side though as I'm 6'4, and i'm 18.

Would do people think of a full body workout every other day to be going on, with lots of protein all over the place. I still have a bit of a belly too (not too bad though) - would it be a good idea to put a good run in the intervening days?

Any advice would be appreciated, if I don't hear anything I'll get going using the machines and free weights there doing the largest weights I can for 3 sets of 6 reps. Good plan?
    How much do you weigh, and what are your aims? Just to pack on a load of muscle mass right?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ 80kg, my aims are:

1) Strength (esp upper body) as i am a goalkeeper.
    2) Muscle mass (which i am assuming is the same thing)
    3) Look better naked (again, same thing i think!)

ReputationRep:
    strength and muscle mass..slightly different
    Hmm..since ur a beginner and u want mass/strengthI would suggest you stick mainly with compound movements and dont go 2 heavy 2 quick..

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but after the first few weeks, your muscles won't ache as much after workouts and you'll know your body is starting to adapt. then slowly add SMALL weights to your lifts, like 5 kg and you'll progress because it gives a huge mental boost to know you are getting stronger (if not bigger).
    wow, that was a completely random piece of advice.

ReputationRep:
    Cool.

Does it matter what time of day you go? Is it better to go at the same time everytime you go, or can you mix it up with mornings, afternoons and evenings?

ReputationRep:
    mixing up is always good. but you'll tend not to i think. just make sure you've eaten enough (edit: carbs) prior to.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here is what I did today, I would appreciate advice on whether this is a decent workout or all wrong.. constructive though please this was my first time going around the gym alone!

In the order I did it..

5 min row warmup - on level 4 resistance (modelling water), av. power = 160W

Leg press machine: Weight at 220: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Weight at 240: 2 sets of 8
    Weight at 260: 1 set of 8

Sit up bench, inclined one notch downwards: 3 sets of 8 reps with hands behind head

Pec deck: On weight setting 8 (forgot to note down weight!) 1 set 8 reps, then 1 set 6 reps, then 1 set 4 reps

Hip adduction machine: Weight at 85, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps, 1 set 4 reps

Lat pulldowns: 1 set 8 reps on setting 7
    1 set 8 reps on setting 8
    1 set 4 reps on setting 8

Hip abduction: on weight 70, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps, 1 set 4 reps

Shoulder press: On weight 90, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps, then stopped as i was really feeling that!

Tricep pull downs: on setting 6, 3 sets 8 reps

Chin ups with support of weight 70: 1 set 10 reps, 1 set 5 reps

Dumbell bicep curls: 4 curls on each arm at 10 kg (left arm gave up) then 8 curls on each arm at 7.5kg

Chest flyes: 20 with 7.5kg dumbells in each hand.

Warm down stretches.

Verdict? Good all over workout? Have I got the rep/set system right? I am looking to bulk up muscle mass and obtain strength, particularly upper body.

How often could I do that kind of workout? I think every other day but if it's possible to get better results doing it every day I would be prepared to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    5 min row warmup - on level 4 resistance (modelling water), av. power = 160W
    fine, warm up as you wish but dont do much longer than 5 mins of cardio - its a waste of valuable energy. also stretch very well the muscles you will use in your workout.

(Original post by kizer)
    Leg press machine: Weight at 220: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Weight at 240: 2 sets of 8
    Weight at 260: 1 set of 8
    good stuff if that was in kilos. thats a good weight for a beginner. you're doing a pyramid workout which is fine, just see if over two weeks you can push the maximum weight up to around 280, say. and then you'll progress from there mentally and physically. don't get caught in a rut.
    (Original post by kizer)
    Sit up bench, inclined one notch downwards: 3 sets of 8 reps with hands behind head
    abs you can workout maybe 3/4 times a week? shouldn't have to do them everyday if you're working out to exhaustion. its good you're doing inclines, since its a waste of time churning out 100 normal situps like some ppl i see.

(Original post by kizer)
    Pec deck: On weight setting 8 (forgot to note down weight!) 1 set 8 reps, then 1 set 6 reps, then 1 set 4 reps
    Try the freeweights benching next time you're in the gym so we can judge what kind of weight you're using. aim for 6-8 reps to failure if you want pure mass, around 4 reps if you want strength. i'm not experienced in strength training so if anyone could chip in and say whether a mixture of both will give you a mixture of strength and mass, that would be helpful. I don't think it works like that tho. i would suggest maybe alternate between aiming for 6-8 reps once and 4 reps the next time you bench. worth a try.

(Original post by kizer)
    Hip adduction machine: Weight at 85, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps, 1 set 4 reps
    ask your instructor to show you how to squat. once you start doing them properly, you won't need to do these machines for adduction or abduction.

(Original post by kizer)
    Lat pulldowns: 1 set 8 reps on setting 7
    1 set 8 reps on setting 8
    1 set 4 reps on setting 8
    fine, remember to write down the weight next time.

(Original post by kizer)
    Shoulder press: On weight 90, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 6 reps, then stopped as i was really feeling that!
    again, ask to be shown the freeweight equivalent - the military press where you hold two dumbells above your shoulders and just push them upward and down again in a single plane. great for a basic shoulder workout. btw is that 90kilos on the shoulder press machine? in which case :eek:

(Original post by kizer)
    Tricep pull downs: on setting 6, 3 sets 8 reps
    fine for starting out.

(Original post by kizer)
    Chin ups with support of weight 70: 1 set 10 reps, 1 set 5 reps
    good stuff. keep doing them 3/4 times a week like abs for now.

(Original post by kizer)
    Dumbell bicep curls: 4 curls on each arm at 10 kg (left arm gave up) then 8 curls on each arm at 7.5kg
    important exercise for your ego. blast your biceps twice a week if you want to push your lifts higher, although this is a rather immature thing to do.:rolleyes: nah seriously, its good that you're arms are giving way. look to do more reps with the 10kg each time, until you can progress to 12kg ones. the pleasure of progress is immeasurable!

(Original post by kizer)
    Chest flyes: 20 with 7.5kg dumbells in each hand.
    good start. i'd combine these straight after the other chest exercises.

The thing that puzzles me is that you managed to do all these exercises to failure? if you did then thats one intense workout! but i suspect you'd get better returns for your effort if you chose say, 2-3 muscle groups to concentrate on every time you went to the gym. that way, you can combine for example three biceps exercises and do them back to back to really breakdown the fibres thoroughly - coz your muscle growth is roughly proportional to the percentage of fibres you breakdown. more you breakdown, the stronger/bigger they will grow. just a rough guide to keep in your mind to push you that one extra rep or set.

So my advice would be to maybe do the workout you're doing now (The whole body one) for a week say, not everyday obviously. but after that breakdown into muscle groups and experiment with different exercises, see which work for you. you've got the rep/set idea correct which is great.

now comes the hard part - nutrition. if you don't combine great nutrition with your totally immense/intense workout, then i'm afraid its all pretty useless and you'll just tire yourself out very quickly. i smell and need a shower so could someone please come along and give some great nutrition advice?
    one last thing - check out www.bodybuilding.com - their articles section is great for beginners to pick up knowledge about mass building or strength training. it also explains the science behind it. you might be enlightened there...

ReputationRep:
    Daymm..another 2 3 workouts lyk tht n u myt suffer from overtraining mate
    I think Ur doin 2 much
    Also, about time of day..research sugests testosterone levels are highest in the morning after you wake up..so that would b a gud tym..but depends on how u r..i cant do mornings

ReputationRep:
    In response to Biggies suggestion about strength/mass..Ive found that 5-6 reps with 4 sets and explosive training gives both mass and strength

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.