Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexic_banana)
    Any way: out of interest, to those who bicep curl dumbells, how much do you curl (i.e. six-eight repetitions, arm locked by side)?
    16kg in each arm for 8 x 3 . Seated and bringing the dumbells to my mouth.

Whats the exercise called where you lye on your back and push the dumbells together til they touch like |=||=| that in the middle? I do that all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a dumbell chest/bench press.

ReputationRep:
    Where do people get these protein shakes? Are the expensive? Are they easy to make - powder? Are there any that should be avoided?

I don't know much about them :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)

Whats the exercise called where you lye on your back and push the dumbells together til they touch like |=||=| that in the middle? I do that all the time.
    Dumbell Flys? Work your chest, and a bit on your shoulders and triceps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DredgeReformist)
    Where do people get these protein shakes? Are the expensive? Are they easy to make - powder? Are there any that should be avoided?

I don't know much about them :confused:

You can buy like standard whey protein from most places, heck - even Argos sell it! But a lot of these arent great value for money. Personally I buy mine from the net - www.myprotein.co.uk. Ive got my customised formula and buy in bulk. Its just powder which you add to milk, shake, and go. Make sure you know what you are getting in a pre-made one - thats why I get a custom one so its not full of rubbish.

If you buy off MP, use the code MP8589 at the checkout and get 5% off your first order!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lapsaj)
    Dumbell Flys? Work your chest, and a bit on your shoulders and triceps.
    Yeah like those but with the dumbells touching the other way, i do 3 different inclines with 24kg in each arm for 8 reps.

ReputationRep:
    You can buy like standard whey protein from most places, heck - even Argos sell it! But a lot of these arent great value for money. Personally I buy mine from the net - www.myprotein.co.uk. Ive got my customised formula and buy in bulk. Its just powder which you add to milk, shake, and go. Make sure you know what you are getting in a pre-made one - thats why I get a custom one so its not full of rubbish.

If you buy off MP, use the code MP8589 at the checkout and get 5% off your first order!
    Thanks I will look into it.

The other thing I wanted to ask you guys (seeing as you all seem to know alot) is if weight training can stunt growth.

I'm 17 M, and about 5''9' but I think I still have a quite a few inches growth in me. Is it true weights will stop me growing because if so I would prefer to wait till I am taller to start. Thanks.

ReputationRep:

Lol................I get my protein from there 2!!

ReputationRep:
    At the moment the athletic community does not think weightlifting in teens will stunt growth, for much younger children I am not sure. There are many opinions on the matter so I would suggest yougoogle it and make your own decisions with all the facts given to you.

Elipsis, the exercise you describe is either this:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

or this:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nal/DBFly.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    You're on about the same level as I am. Would you consider yourself to be muscular? Has anyone ever said anything to suggest you are? It's just I'm always wondering how well I'm doing in my quest to be muscular....

(Original post by Dredge_Reformist)
    I'm 17 M, and about 5''9' but I think I still have a quite a few inches growth in me. Is it true weights will stop me growing because if so I would prefer to wait till I am taller to start. Thanks.
    Debatable; the bodybuilding community generally dismiss this as mythical, but it makes you wonder why it has been said a fair bit, if there's really nothing in it. It is accepted that bodybuilding shouldn't be done before the age of thirteen, but, beyond that, I don't honestly know. I know of one guy who begun bodybuilding at a young age, and ended up nowhere near as tall as he would've been expected to be; but this could well by way of mere coincidence. I can't speak from real experience, as I started bodybuilding only after I stopped growing, any way. The only real way to make a conclusion would be to examine the growth patterns of a sample of bodybuilders who begun before the age at which they'd be expected to stop growing, over time; maybe this is why no real conclusion has been made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arktos)
    At the moment the athletic community does not think weightlifting in teens will stunt growth, for much younger children I am not sure. There are many opinions on the matter so I would suggest yougoogle it and make your own decisions with all the facts given to you.

Elipsis, the exercise you describe is either this:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

or this:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nal/DBFly.html
    The bench press

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexic_banana)
    You're on about the same level as I am. Would you consider yourself to be muscular? Has anyone ever said anything to suggest you are? It's just I'm always wondering how well I'm doing in my quest to be muscular....
    My biceps are 15.5 inches, which isn't that big compared to some people but ammong my friends its quite high. You should speak to bis he had 17" biceps at 15 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBGirl)
    Lol................I get my protein from there 2!!
    Quality aint it. Best place really - well known and professional.

(Original post by DredgeReformist)
    Thanks I will look into it.

The other thing I wanted to ask you guys (seeing as you all seem to know alot) is if weight training can stunt growth.

Weight training will not stunt your growth if you you are using the proper form. It's just a myth. Too much and too soon will obviously have a bad effect, so just control it. Im 16 M, lift, and still growing at 5ft9. The only thing closely related to a growth stunt is steroids, but lets not go there.

ReputationRep:
    That site doesnt have any hydrolyzed casein, micellar casein or hydrolyzed whey (highgrade), which i would like to build into quite a complicated custom mix, www.trueprotein.com can but i think that importing is quite OTT and expensive.
    Pre-Workout:
    Eggwhite Protein 10%
    Hydrolyzed casine 10%
    Hydrolyzed whey highgrade 10%
    Micellar Casein 15%
    Milk Protein Isolate 5%
    Whey protein Isolate Ion exchange 20%
    Fructose 5%
    Dextrose 5%
    Branched Chain amino acids 5%
    Creatine Monohydrate 10%
    L-Glutamine 5%
    Aminogen
    Premium BSL / PC.com Chocolate

Post workout
    Calcium casenate 10%
    Eggwhite Protein 10%
    Hydrolyzed whey highgrade 10%
    Micellar Casein 15%
    Milk Protein Isolate 5%
    Whey protein Isolate Cold filtration 30%
    Medium Chain Triglyceride powder 5%
    Flax seed oil powder 5%
    Taurine powder 10%
    Complete vitamin/Mineral mix
    Premium BSL / PC.com Strawberry

I would really like to make those, anybody know a custom site i can use in England?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want 5% flax seed oil powder for PW? The RDA is something like 1%.

Other than MP, no idea.

ReputationRep:
    It just has alot of health benifits and i didn't think that going down as far as 1% was worth while.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, suppose you can't really overdose on it.

If you are wanting something so specific, the blending charges will be a lot for all that, so it will be cheaper to buy it all in seperately and blend yourself. Obviously you'd be buying a lot, but it should work out cheaper in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Arghhh I'm worried now. If I could choose I would want to be taller because I can do weights at any time, but this is my only chance to grow taller.

Wish there was a definitive answer here. I know quite alot of people who work out and a really short, but then I also know my best mate works out and is tall.

hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of short people work out because they have short man syndrome, what they lack in height they make up for in muscle etc...

I work out and im 6ft so...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, suppose you can't really overdose on it.

If you are wanting something so specific, the blending charges will be a lot for all that, so it will be cheaper to buy it all in seperately and blend yourself. Obviously you'd be buying a lot, but it should work out cheaper in the long run.
    On true protein there is no blending charges, i just need to find an identical site for England. I like the fact that you can put so many different absorbtion rate proteins into one mix and then throw in some creatine and glutamine.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.