Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, im new to TSR, but have been building for a while now.

Unfortunately,i was coming towards the end of a building cycle (gaining loads of muscle, but also putting on fat, as opposed to a maintainance cycle where muscle stays roughly the same and you loose that excess fat) when i suffered a fairly bad ankle injury. so am 2 months out of training and about 6kg over what i should be at this stage!

anyone have a diet and workout plan aimed at fairly rapid weightloss to get me back on track with my regular scheme???

well pleased to find a dedicated society on here, look forward 2 hearing from u all,

EZ, benjamin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympic_rower)
    In my opinion protein shake is a vital component of any bodybuilders diet, and is most worthwhile supplement. What i mean is you shouldn't have too much protein in one sitting (perfect amount is probably 40 grams of proten), but if you have too much there will be so much proten in the blood after digeston at one time it will be converted to fat; just like carbs and sugar digestion. So instead implement protein shakes into diet to increase you daily protein intake to a high level (180grams to 300grams is sensible depending on size, how much mass u want to put on, how much weghts u liftng etc) but space the meals in which consumes these portion of protein throughout the day. Most serious bodybuilders have about 5-7 meals throughtout the day high in protein, never leavng more than 2-3 hours between a meal otherwise the risk of muscle break down presents itself. By also having such a high frequency of meals you also naturally increase your body's rate of metabolims cause it aways has to stay in a high state of alerntenss, so also keeps you nice and lean.

However don't really toally on shakes- u also need a lot of whole lean proteins such as salmon, tuna and chicken, since they provide roughage to your diet and essential nutrients that protein shakes (perhaps not MRP) can't provide.

Also you wanted to know what else to avoid while putting on musce mass... SALT. Keep away from that. Most people have way too much and get high water retention and muscles don't look as defined, face is puffy, and you can say good bye to any 6 pack. If you try your best to limit salt completley from your diet, you will find that your salt intake will be just right consdiering all food you will have to eat if you want be serious about boybuilding.

By the way your progress looks good mate- 10kg is something to be proud of- but i now see you are more concentrated on getting a muscular physique. However, it sounds that from past of overwight issue you may probably have a low metablism (like me) so definitley don't give up cardio. However, instead of doing high intense cardio do low intense (at pace where you are a bit breathless but can still have a reasonabe conversation with someone) for about 40-45 mins- and best if before breakfast or straight after weights workout is best cause will soley target ur adipose tissue where ur fat stores are. One session a day from 4-7 days a week should be fine. By doing such high intense cardio like you do at moment, you will inevitably break down any muscle you gain to supply you with energy. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the reply Olympic_rower, you're posts are really helpful. Which protein shakes do you recommend? I've seen so many advertising huge amounts of protein (80g per serving) but you think 40g should be enough? Ideally I would like to regain that 10kg and maybe more I lost but obviously this time in muscle. Do you think I would need to take a reigme of eating 5-7 times a day? At the moment I only eat three times and my lunch isn't exactly quite big, so I guess I should incorporate foods high in protein such as the ones you have listed, salmon, tuna and chicken? I hardly consume salt at all, I think I have the opposite problem my face is too thin rather than puffy!

I was hardly that big before I started going to the gym I was 77kg but I've come down to 60kg in the space of a year (I lost the 10kg in the space of a few months) which is now ridiculously thin! Ah I see so I should do low intense cardio, at the moment my cardio includes 17mins on the treadmill at 11km/hr with an incline plus 10 mins on the cross trainer on the high level, plus I cycle everyday so that's even more cardio work. Do you think I should do the cardio workout every time I go to the gym (3-4 times a week), because as you've said I'm most likely just breaking down any muscle I hope to gain plus my diet doesn't help. Anyway thanks again for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numsey)
    hi, im new to TSR, but have been building for a while now.

Unfortunately,i was coming towards the end of a building cycle (gaining loads of muscle, but also putting on fat, as opposed to a maintainance cycle where muscle stays roughly the same and you loose that excess fat) when i suffered a fairly bad ankle injury. so am 2 months out of training and about 6kg over what i should be at this stage!

anyone have a diet and workout plan aimed at fairly rapid weightloss to get me back on track with my regular scheme???

well pleased to find a dedicated society on here, look forward 2 hearing from u all,

EZ, benjamin
    Hi and welcome to :tsr2: Sorry to hear about the ankle injury. I'm currently trying to add more mass but I haven't had much success do you mind sharing your diet plan on how you gained all your muscle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    As far as I was aware, protein cannot be turned into fat... excess protein is excreted in the urine?? Protein cannot be sotred in the body....?

Ye sorry about causing that confusion; solid H is absolutley correct. I was just too lazy, and also didn't want to confuse some bodybuilders with the whole fundamenal processes, so cut to the chase lol. But its nice to see people are interested in the biological systems concerned as well! Essenitally amino acids do have a calorific value, and in times of excess following deamination, the amine part will be sent out in the urine and the remainer to metabolise fat or glycogen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympic_rower)
    Ye sorry about causing that confusion; solid H is absolutley correct. I was just too lazy, and also didn't want to confuse some bodybuilders with the whole fundamenal processes, so cut to the chase lol. But its nice to see people are interested in the biological systems concerned as well! Essenitally amino acids do have a calorific value, and in times of excess following deamination, the amine part will be sent out in the urine and the remainer to metabolise fat or glycogen.
    Yeah am pretty interested in nutrition... with my degree (don't laugh now, it was equine science :eek: ) we covered a hell of a lot of cell work and as you can imagine, alot of subjects relating to how the horse functioned and performed... alot of it you can actually apply to people, besides the actual digestion process as horses are hind gut fermenters, but you catch my drift

Well I didn't know that! Cheers, I like learning

Actually on the subject of learning, I have another question.... for my next fitness test, i have to do my situps in a different way - instead of the standard military sit up where fingers are on temples and elbows have to come up to touch the top of the knee, I now have to cross my arms across my chest (think vampie esq ), with my fingers kind of fitting into the dips by my collar bones... anyway, I actually find them even easier than the previous type... did 50 consecutive ones and did another 30 'elbow to knee' ones just to feel like I'd done some work. What I want to know is if I am working different muscles with the new ones or is it just the limit enforced by the techniqure that makes them easier??

I was aiming for 80 in 2 mins originally (am currently at 71), but that was when I thought I would be doing them in the original technique... am now thinking 100 in 2 mins would be fun, but want to make sure that I train properly to achieve that....

Oh yeah, one other little thing... would anyone object to me joining this soc as I'm not actually a BB but find it really useful for my own training....?

ReputationRep:
    Toms lean bulking diet

I split this into 6 meals per day. You can turn it into more by simply splitting afew meals in half or what ever.

I train in the AM. This means i can get all my carbs meals in before 5pm easily.

I have a 2-3 hour gap between each meal.

(NOTE i include the carbs and protein and fat from other sources, for example my oats contain 12grams of fat per 150gram serving)

----------------------------------------

Meal 1
    150grams oats, 50grams whey
    56.5grams protein, 90carbs, 12fat
    694 cals

TRAINING

Meal 2
    100grams dextrose{replace with 150grams oats on non-workout days},
    50grams whey {have tuna here on non workout days and have whey later on}
    100carbs, 40protein
    560 cals

Meal 3
    150grams oats, 1.5tins tuna
    100carbs, 55protein, 12fat
    728 cals

Meal 4
    1.5tins tuna, 40grams natural peanut butter
    50protein, 20fat
    380 cals

Meal 5
    200grams turkey, 30grams almonds
    50protein, 20fat
    380 cals

Meal 6
    200grams salmon, 10ml flax seed oil
    45grams protein, 20grams fat
    360 cals

----------------------------------------(TOTALS)--------------------------------------------

Protein 296.5grams
    Carbs 270grams
    Fats 84grams
    Total Cals 3022

Mine taken from www.ukiron.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    and and add green veggies where you like!

dont drink milk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lapsaJ)
    Oh dear. What's happened to this society. Where's all the old school members gone - biggie-n, Stone, Solid_L...?

Look you can carry on speaking the way you are, but chances are, you'll get warnings. Warnings eventually lead to a ban. If you want to ignore what we're saying fair enough, but does following the rules make me a prat?
    hey man! i was on holiday for a week so i couldn't help not being here...but yeah, its gone downhill...a tad.

ReputationRep:
    I Miss My Jjb Gym So Badyly Already....what Are The Qm Gym Facilities Like?

ReputationRep:
    Is it really safe to mix so many supplemets together like this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naddles)
    Is it really safe to mix so many supplemets together like this??
    judging by those pics, most definitely!
    seriously though, nothing wrong with it. There are bigger stacks about.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it over worked for them!:p:...ah right i'm new to this so it looked like loads to me!

ReputationRep:
    This may seem a little bizzare, but does anyone else have rubber dumbells? I have a heavy set of them, and they absolutely reek... seriously... I mean they smell toxic, and they're very nauseating to have around. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting rid of this smell... maybe some sort of cleaning solution or something? They're so bad that at home they're locked up in the shed until I need them.. but this renders them useless for when I go to Uni. :confused:

Grr smelly dumbells.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem with my rubber weights!:eek: they smell absolutely awful!

ReputationRep:
    Got a problem, if anyone can help much appreciated: Recently my outer upper leg/hip has been clicking when I walk. I've been back on hitting the weights heavy so that might be the problem (starting to cool it down a notch), but sometimes it hurts so bad if I like turn around or something when my leg isnt perfectly straight down.

I've been taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate, and flaxseed oil every dya, can anyone suggest anything else apart from rest?

ReputationRep:
    Mate it's really best to see a doctor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redluc)
    Mate it's really best to see a doctor...
    It's alright now - I've been taking these extra strength glucosamine, and 2 flax seed oil capsules with every meal for the past few days and today its been a lot better. I can only feel it slightly if I move my waist in a circular motion (like when warming up for sport).

Good ol' MP and their supps!

ReputationRep:
    meh these little things happen now and then. I've had little niggles come and go. But if it still really hurts after a couple of weeks then I know somethings wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Naddles...

General Bulking phase guidelines...try for 6 weeks...you will have put on ALOT of muscle if you follow this, but also should be carrying a little extra bodyfat and water retention (if you use creatine), so should be followed by a maintainance phase, whereby you reduce calories to normal level whilst maintaining training and easing off on supliments (NOTE TO ALL...ALWAYS CYCLE YOUR SUPS!)

I did not, and do not believe in following a unfeasably strict diet plan, however, what you need to do is try and alter your eating habbits slightly, so they lean towards eating much more protein, but also, if your trying to bulk, LOADS more carbs (increase calories to put on weight, decrease to take it off!), however, this doesnt meen sugar (your body will metabolise that before anything else, so will detract from your metabolising of protein and carbs)... also, make sure that as much of your carbs come from wholemeal sources (wholemeal rice,bread and pasta)...for example of one simple thing you could do would be eat a jacket potato with nice bit of tuna and sweetcorn filling every night before you go to bed...

also, make sure you get loads of fruits and veg, you will need the goodness they provide!

with regards to training...make sure you do cardio and strength training on different days...aerobic excersise releases ALOT of the stress hormone, which is actually catabolic.i.e. will negate any weight training benefits you do.

and also generally cut down on your aerobic exersise, instead, perhaps replace it with sprints on your non weight training days...6 x sprint for 45 secs followed by 2 minute rest inbetween (for examples, consider when you watch the olympics, how muscular sprinters are compared to long distance runners...)

weights...try and work at around your 8 rep max for each set (by max, i refer to technical failure, not when your arm actually falls off!) adn do 6 sets of 8 reps for each exercise, 45 secs between sets...

I also do a light weights session on my cardio/energy system training days, but depending on how much training you are used to, you may not wish to do so, if you do, DO NOT PUSH IT...your muscles need to recover!

so basically, eat big and train hard and you will see big gains...with regards to supplements...protein is definately recomended, possibly try some creatine...should see fairly quick results, a good multivit tab, and if you feel like it, give tribulus a go (NATURALY increases testosterone levels, tried and tested, safe to use)Ebay def best bet for supliments, 5kg whey for £30!genius!

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^ dont listen to that. Trib is basically useless for teens/low twentys.

Dont get caught up on weighing yourself. Eat about 300-500cals above maintenance and pretty darn clean! you dont need to gain massive ammounts of fat to gain muscle!

bear in mind the average person has around 25lbs of muscle in their entire body! so for you to gain 5lbs of muscle thats like a 20% increase! personally im aiming to gain about 10lbs a year of fat/muscle!!!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.