The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
prash_s90
hey quick question ..if i use smaller weights (about 6kg dumbells) , but do more reps...could we still bulk up ??? ...thnks

how many reps, what excercise, how intense is 6kg when you use them to excercise.

could you bulk up, depends really, especially on your diet.
Reply 861
what kind of supplements is everyone using if any? I've got some whey (basically because theres no other way to get the amount of protein into my diet that i need, and its easier to digest) and just started on creatine. Anybody had any bad or good experiences? i think i'm deffinately a hard-gainer.. i eat non-stop but still find it quite hard to gain weight.. any advice would be very grateful
Reply 862
welcome aboard rwm.

why cant you get protein into you diet? if i remember correctly, whey at 80% concentrate has still only about 60% bioavailability so if you took 100g worth of whey a day, only about 60g would be used. (dont ask me the science on it I just know).

whey is not a good source by any means to get protein into the diet, it simply is there for time and cost convenience, if you are vegetarian and do not eat meat, there are plenty of other ways to get protein through eggs and errrr thats all i know of lol as im a carnivore.

as with experience, eh, only use it for while im at uni and straight after a gym session, thats it. i myself prefer egg whites in the morning (although a tad expensive) and then eat meat during the day.

if your a hard gainer and eat alot but dont gain weight, it is still to do with what you eat as well as how much you eat.
give us an example of what you eat, how much of it you eat and how regular you eat. it would also be nice if you could, well if you can use, use some scales, weigh out your food for the day and record the weights, then from there we are able to work out how many calories you consume as well as how many grams of protein, carbs and fat you get in a day.
i.e. weigh your carb, protein sources seperately rather than saying, i had 500 g of rice 'and' chicken. would say, i had 250g of rice and 250g chicken.

it is a bit tedious, but then it depends how serious you are about getting bigger.
Reply 863
do not use steroids
Reply 864
Stone, can you give us an example of what you eat on a bulk?
Reply 865
A proper basis of my meals are:

200g brown rice = approx 60g low gi carbs
200g chicken = approx 60g protein
100g green veg =- normally string beans, peas, broc
1 tablespoon olive oil every other meal = 14g fat

I have this about 6 times a day, but the sixth meal I dont have rice unless I went to the gym in the evening.

Prob have 1 or 2 shakes in there as well.
Reply 866
You have the same meal 6 times a day? Serious?
Reply 867
Pretty much!

Like I said, its a proper basic plan. Every other day I have a steak, in between these days I have salmon or mackarel.
Dont eat bread so much, only as a snack because rice is just a better way of consuming carbs, now and again Ill mix rice with pulses and beans, or swap rice for roasted potatoes.
Now and again Ill have turkey mince escalopes, stir fries etc. All of course, home cooked!
Reply 868
Nice. Going to try this out.
Reply 869
Ayoooooo..whats up fellow BBers..apologies for disappearing so long..(lloonng storyy) Anyway Im back:smile: Hows everyone: Lapsaj, Stone, Solid_L, BB Girl and all the other members..
How is training goin for everyone?
Reply 870
RWM
what kind of supplements is everyone using if any? I've got some whey (basically because theres no other way to get the amount of protein into my diet that i need, and its easier to digest) and just started on creatine. Anybody had any bad or good experiences? i think i'm deffinately a hard-gainer.. i eat non-stop but still find it quite hard to gain weight.. any advice would be very grateful

Ditto..Im a hard gainer..well used to be..still kinda..
If you rely 2 much on protein shakes then it wont help bulk-its better if you gt your protein through solid foods..tryed pasta? its packed with carbs and some protein too..top it up with cheese and tune=ultimate meal:smile:
And Im just on whey aswell..bt only 1 or 2 shakes a day..prefer to get my nutrients through food
hey all, im on cyclone maxi muscle.. this stuff http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3026476.htm ... just abit of advice.. i go gym bout 3 / 4 times a week, i normally only seem to take 1 shake after every gym session.. so im taking it bout 3/4 times a week.

Iv heard alot different stuff about when and how to take it..

Should i take it every day? Even if i dont go gym? or should i take it twice a day on gym days... or twice a day every day.. it does say on the container take 2 shakes a day daily.. but then iv heard people telling me to taking it only on gym days.. advice plz..

also ... as im trying to gain alot of weight aswell would you class this as a good weight gainer supplement ??
Shout Box
hey all, im on cyclone maxi muscle.. this stuff http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3026476.htm ... just abit of advice.. i go gym bout 3 / 4 times a week, i normally only seem to take 1 shake after every gym session.. so im taking it bout 3/4 times a week.

Iv heard alot different stuff about when and how to take it..

Should i take it every day? Even if i dont go gym? or should i take it twice a day on gym days... or twice a day every day.. it does say on the container take 2 shakes a day daily.. but then iv heard people telling me to taking it only on gym days.. advice plz..

also ... as im trying to gain alot of weight aswell would you class this as a good weight gainer supplement ??

with most protein shakes it good to consume about 2-3 shakes a day and 1 after 30 minutes of exercising to allow your muscles to rebuild that dead muscle tissue that you've been working in the gym.

3-4 times a week is too little, have it 2-3 times a day and 1 time straight after a workout.

for bulking up again to reiterate stones word it's about how serious your are, rely on lean meats and cheese, etc to bulk up, normal weight gain shakes are a waste of time because most effects take about 6-8 months, of consisent use and training.
Reply 873
Hi everyone. May I join? I lift every other day.
Hi,
I have been lifting weights for nearly 2 and a half years now but still am confused by the flat bench and incline bench press, in terms of their results and whether doing one or both is recommended. I know that incline hits the upper chest while flat bench hits all part of chest, but would the experienced ones out of you recommend doing both on the same day?Currently I only do the inclined bench press once every week to failure and have moved up to doing more than what I was able to lift in the past during a flat bench press:biggrin: and frankly doing both to failure seemed impossible.

Also, this is a bit embarrasing but it seems that I cant do more than 8/9KG when working my deltoids(deltoid raises esp.). when I started lifting I could not even do 5 Kgs for some reason while my mates have gone beyond 10/15 kilos and beyond, which I have come to think of as common these days when strengthening deltoids. Back then the problem could have been one of growth as I was 16/17 but I am wondering what the problem is now. Again to all of you,a few suggestions to work both medial and posterior deltoids and stengthen them over time could be really helpful. I know that incline bench press works the other one called anterior deltoid which I am ok with. :biggrin: Any advise will be really appreciated:redface:
Reply 875
Hi can i just have some advice please, my upper body im pleased with, but because of where i did boxing and do kung fu, my upper body is built well.....but where i used to be a long distance runner in high school days, my legs are skinny but muscular, and well too much running and your calves will eventually disappear right. Well anyways, ive tried lots of different training for my legs, they have certainly gotten bigger e.g. my quads measure 3inches bigger, ive trained them differently all the time and thats working well. However training my calves is different, theyre the one things that dont grow, maybe they need to be shocked in everyworkout, but ive tried like do heavy weight low reps, high reps low weight, and super settting, and they are still skinny. Any advice on how to shock them to grow? also would sprinting help? im getting good cardio from basketball, the constant running and sprinting etc, thats ok though. Also any advice on how to get my waist bigger, but still be lean at the same time whilst trying to get it bigger? or will it happen given time, now i dont do excessive amount of cardio and ive stoped boxing so thats lots of less cardio, so my waist wont get smaller
Building calves is not that complicated.Check this out mate :http://www.leehayward.com/calfs.htm

I remember doing steep uphill powerwalks during the days of me doing Taekwondo complemented by lots of Calf raises (with my own body weight or holding weights in my hand). There may be lots of other ways but that's my humble two pence and I am sure the experienced people in this forum willl come out with other good advises for you.:biggrin:
jo_ukcrew03
Hi,
I have been lifting weights for nearly 2 and a half years now but still am confused by the flat bench and incline bench press, in terms of their results and whether doing one or both is recommended. I know that incline hits the upper chest while flat bench hits all part of chest, but would the experienced ones out of you recommend doing both on the same day?Currently I only do the inclined bench press once every week to failure and have moved up to doing more than what I was able to lift in the past during a flat bench press:biggrin: and frankly doing both to failure seemed impossible.

Also, this is a bit embarrasing but it seems that I cant do more than 8/9KG when working my deltoids(deltoid raises esp.). when I started lifting I could not even do 5 Kgs for some reason while my mates have gone beyond 10/15 kilos and beyond, which I have come to think of as common these days when strengthening deltoids. Back then the problem could have been one of growth as I was 16/17 but I am wondering what the problem is now. Again to all of you,a few suggestions to work both medial and posterior deltoids and stengthen them over time could be really helpful. I know that incline bench press works the other one called anterior deltoid which I am ok with. :biggrin: Any advise will be really appreciated:redface:

I definitely do incline (and/or decline) on the same day as flat bench... I don't see a problem with it, and yeah they focus somewhat different parts of the muscle (decline of course lower chest primarily...). I always like variation in the training, e.g. I stayed away from the bench for two/three weeks and just used dumbbells for training the breast and when I got back to the bench I was stronger (had been standing still for 5 weeks before the change...). It is the same with high vs low weight...(i.e. low vs high reps), that a bit of variation is good, normally I do about 6 weeks 4-6 reps and then 8-12 reps for 2 weeks or so, if the muscles in the body gets used to one thing it may be harder to build at an equal rate (from my experience, and I've read it somewhere as well, but of course there are other opinions as always about how you train in the 'best' way).
Reply 878
AJ
Hi can i just have some advice please, my upper body im pleased with, but because of where i did boxing and do kung fu, my upper body is built well.....but where i used to be a long distance runner in high school days, my legs are skinny but muscular, and well too much running and your calves will eventually disappear right. Well anyways, ive tried lots of different training for my legs, they have certainly gotten bigger e.g. my quads measure 3inches bigger, ive trained them differently all the time and thats working well. However training my calves is different, theyre the one things that dont grow, maybe they need to be shocked in everyworkout, but ive tried like do heavy weight low reps, high reps low weight, and super settting, and they are still skinny. Any advice on how to shock them to grow? also would sprinting help? im getting good cardio from basketball, the constant running and sprinting etc, thats ok though. Also any advice on how to get my waist bigger, but still be lean at the same time whilst trying to get it bigger? or will it happen given time, now i dont do excessive amount of cardio and ive stoped boxing so thats lots of less cardio, so my waist wont get smaller

You walk on your calves every day, they need a hell of a lot of stimulation to grow.

And the guy asking about suppliments - I've recently started on ZMA. Might only increase testosterone by 20% but that feels like ****ing loads. More work in the gym, more protein synthesis, and its a fairly cheap suppliment. Helps you sleep a little too.
Reply 879
Yoda
You walk on your calves every day, they need a hell of a lot of stimulation to grow.

And the guy asking about suppliments - I've recently started on ZMA. Might only increase testosterone by 20% but that feels like ****ing loads. More work in the gym, more protein synthesis, and its a fairly cheap suppliment. Helps you sleep a little too.

May i offer you some advice yoda? Holland and barratt [sp?] buy the ingredients - vit b6, zinc and magnesium - seperately and you'll get about twice the amount for half the price if your buying some brand name stuff :biggrin:

I haven't been bothered to read all through this thread yet, but i can pretty much geuss that there are hundreds of requests for building abs right? Jeez, your abs [rectus abdominis] pretty much just damn don't grow. Sit-ups will use hip flexors as well [and as these have greater potential for hypertrophy these will be used as primary muscles in the movement thus taking stimulus away from the abdominals. Many of he top fitness professionals still use crunches and situps for ab stimulation but it simply doesn't work. Reverse incline sit-ups where you raise your legs up work best as these recruit most muscle fibres, but have the downside of being hard to judge progression as you can't add weight to.

I bet another misconception will be "if i do loads of [insert random pointless exercise in here] i'll get huge". Well no. Look at powerlifters: some of the biggest, most functional bodies in the world; they only do 1-5 reps on any given exercies. True most may be pretty fat, but with the right diet you don't have to be. When do you ever need to bicep curl a log or anything in the real world? Bicep movements are very rarely used out here amongst the sane people. And as such, doing bicep curls, precher curls etc etc will not help your biceps grow. They are tiny muscles and since muscles can be overtrained and potentially decrease in size, plus the fact that powerlifters do no direct bicep training, do you still think its wise to do high rep, low intensity isolation exercises? Christ, just do some rows, chins and towel pullups for bicep size and functionality.

High intensity exercises are proven to recruit more muscle fibres, and as such release more calcium from the muscles, thus tons more lactate is formed and this ramps up cAMP [don't laugh you pansy] and HGH - the mother of all hormones. HGH will make you grow, big. It can blowtorch bodyfat. It can make bald people regain their hair. It can reverse the effects of aging, making skin more supple and thick. There isn't much it can't do! High intensity involves the use of heavy weights ["lift heavy or go home!"] and shorter rest periods to build up lactate [remember].

Conclusion: Lift hard, lift heavy. Short rest periods, and no direct isolation work make jack a hyuge boy.

Oh and i dunno if were allowed to advertise on the boards so if i say:
Anyone who wants high grade protein in bulk - the stuff people like maximuscle and LA fitness use - , [any flavour you want and better tasting than nearly all brands] and from £7.95 per kg, and 5% off your first order if you use my referal code; please give me a pm :smile: i'll give you my referal code and free endless advice!

Latest