The Student Room Group

Analysis question

Is it possible to identify a carboxylic acid using mass spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. Apart from these two methods are there any other ways?
Original post by ch0wm4n
Is it possible to identify a carboxylic acid using mass spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. Apart from these two methods are there any other ways?

I would say it's pretty hard to identify a carboxylic acid using mass spec. Infra-red spectroscopy would be the best way to identify a carboxylic acid :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by zhang599
I would say it's pretty hard to identify a carboxylic acid using mass spec. Infra-red spectroscopy would be the best way to identify a carboxylic acid :smile:

Ah ok thanks :smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by ch0wm4n

Those 'two methods' are one and the same, and no, they will not tell you what functional groups you have. Fragmentation is not a reliable method.

IR and NMR are both pretty diagnostic when it comes to carboxylic acids.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by illusionz
Those 'two methods' are one and the same, and no, they will not tell you what functional groups you have. Fragmentation is not a reliable method.

IR and NMR are both pretty diagnostic when it comes to carboxylic acids.

Thanks for your reply :smile:, could i use Na2CO3 or NaHCO3 to test for a carboxylic acid?
Original post by ch0wm4n
Thanks for your reply :smile:, could i use Na2CO3 or NaHCO3 to test for a carboxylic acid?

Yeah any carbonate will do, and C02 will be given off :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah any carbonate will do, and C02 will be given off :smile:

Ok thanks for your reply :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by ch0wm4n

Note that that is a test for any acid, not just organic acids.
Original post by illusionz
Note that that is a test for any acid, not just organic acids.

Not with Phenol :wink: Although I guess you could classify that as more of an alcohol but it's still acidic :smile:
Reply 9
Not with Phenol :wink: Although I guess you could classify that as more of an alcohol but it's still acidic :smile:

Well of course it depends on the strength of the acid lol. And if we're being picky phenol is more of an enol than an alcohol :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest