The Student Room Group

Research methods project regarding the mere exposure effect...

(I rarely sign in to this website, but this is almost a crisis.)
:confused:
Basically I've been set a project whereby I have to carry out some form of research, so I've chosen to do something involving the mere exposure effect. I'll be mirroring photographs of participants faces to test whether familiarity will result in greater preference, if that makes sense? (You often see yourself in a mirror, so the mirrored photograph should be ranked (by the participant) higher/more preferable than the initial photograph which hasn't been manipulated.)

It's just that I'm confusing myself so much in terms of my project proposal form/brief which has to include my hypothsis (operationalised), my research method, sources of bias/confounding variables, ethical issues etc.

So if you can give me some indication from what I've stated about my investiagtion as to what my hypothesis etc. should be, I'd be ever so thankful! Because I'm actually really struggling and the work is due in on Monday.
And I also have to write up a report on this investigation, so I'll probably just die because of it or something. :frown:

But anyway, thank you so much if you have managed to read this and reply. I really do appreciate it! And I apologise if it's a lot to read, I tried to keep it as brief as possible. :smile:

Okay, so after reading into what I have to do in terms of my report I'm unsure about my (made up) results. Is my data nominal, ordinal etc.? And what will be my measure of central tendency (mode, median or mean)? This has to be displayed in a table and graph.

Thank you once again!
(edited 11 years ago)
You've pretty much stated your hypothesis. How you formalise it (including operalisation of variables) will depend on your design - independent or repeated measures? how you are measuring preference and whether you want it to be one-tailed or two-tailed.

For example: Participants who view two photographs (mirrored/non-mirrored) of themselves will express a significant preference (e.g. as measured using a 7-item Likert scale) for the mirrored photograph.

This would be an example of a one-tailed, independent measures hypothesis.

Hope that helps in some way :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, I think it helps. :smile:
It's just it's quite late, but I'm forcing myself to get the majority of this completed whilst I have the motivation. And I haven't actually carried this out either because I was told to make my results up, which is probably making it more difficult having to imagine it in my head.

But yes, thanks again. Because I didn't even realise I could use independent measures, I was just going to assume I could only use repeated measures.

Quick Reply

Latest